HOW FORD WILL SAVE MERCURY

When Alan Mulally came to the Ford Motor Company two years ago he finally forced the company to face reality. It wasn't going to go anywhere, he told his executive team, unless it put all its resources into resuscitating the Ford brand on a global basis.

So Jaguar and Land Rover were given the heave-ho, and Volvo was put "under review." The decision was made to let Mercury slowly die, and Lincoln's turn-around was put on the back burner until the Ford brand revived.

But as the company formulated its turn-around plan, it slowly dawned on everyone involved that there was a real opportunity to save Mercury. They figured out a way to give the brand a unique line-up of vehicles without breaking the bank. So in April of this year they took their ideas to Mulally, and after extensive studies they got the go-ahead in June to save it.

continue at the link

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The decision was made to let Mercury slowly die, and Lincoln's turn-around was put on the back burner until the Ford brand revived.

But as the company formulated its turn-around plan, it slowly dawned on everyone involved that there was a real opportunity to save Mercury. They figured out a way to give the brand a unique line-up of vehicles without breaking the bank. So in April of this year they took their ideas to Mulally, and after extensive studies they got the go-ahead in June to save it."

"...But that leaves a lot of other models to choose from, and that's where the company realized it could sell some of them as Mercurys.

After all, if the cars are already designed and they've got the plants to build them in, the financials just became attractive enough to justify giving Mercury a unique line-up of models. For example, why not give Mercury dealers the 5-door version of the Mondeo, and the S-Max and the Kuga? OK, so they're still re-badged Ford's, but to most Americans they'll be completely different than anything they'll see on the lot at a local Ford dealership."

Sheeeeeeeet! Ain't that what WE'VE been collectively saying on here for the past couple of years?

I think BON-F and it's contributors should get some of the credit on this one IF it pans out!

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

I'm not sure what he's talking about here, I don't think Mercury will be getting any original products without supporting volume from a Ford branded version. I would be surprised to see a Mercury Kuga but not Ford version (just one possible example).

I'm glad Mercury is staying around, but I don't think John McElroy knows what he's talking about, time will tell.

Edited by BORG

From what I've read here, if this article is mercury's future, then they'll still be a Ford rebadge and the strategy wouldn't have changed at all.

-Next Gen Fusion and Mondeo are one in the same, and there will be a CD3 Milan next year, so a Mondeo would be redundant now. If Mercury gets a Mondeo based vehicle, it'll be the global CD car and not mercury exclusive in NA

-Next Gen Escape and Kuga are apparently one in the same. Again, it would be redundant now (they already have the Mariner) and if mercury does get it, it'll be a Ford version

-Next Gen Focus is global. Unless Mercury is getting the current Euro focus very soon, it won't be Mercury exclusive. Even then, it won't be Mercury exclusive for long. There will be a unique Mercury C car (form some Ford document that was on here a while ago), maybe it'll just be a Focus rebadge.

S-Max? Maybe. There's nothing like it in the US right now, except the mazda 5, which isn't selling well.

Focus CC. Maybe. Would at least be unique provided Ford doens't also make on vert in the US with the C2

Edited by V8 Ford

????? Where is your information coming from?

buddies moutainer down the road..POS...he traded it off for a datsun.....my old man has a cougar...if it wasnt for 34mpg it would be gone....my grandfather had a merc..in the garage more then on the road...he traded it off for a yoda tercel.....

buddies moutainer down the road..POS...he traded it off for a datsun.....my old man has a cougar...if it wasnt for 34mpg it would be gone....my grandfather had a merc..in the garage more then on the road...he traded it off for a yoda tercel.....

Well then I don't know how I could ever argue with such empirical evidence.....

Edited by suv_guy_19

You do know there were only one or two Mercuries that weren't "Complete" rebadged Fords throught it's history?

they need something unique and special...30 years ago you bought merc and got more luxury...today you buy ford for less money and get all the goodies...what does merc offer to justify a premium brand/cost over ford...answer nothing

ps: what i would do is bring a few models over from europe and not allow ford dealers to sell em...i know of nothing else that can save merc

Edited by snooter

build something people want..not what they think we want...quality is everything..merc has a terrible record of building quality vehicles...most of the vehicles are shit

That's a pretty dumb statement... there's no way to build "what people want, but that we don't think they want". If you want to say something that has meaning, try saying, "Ford needs to do a better job of figuring out what more customers want". It might be more accurate, when dealing with people that have an unameliorable opinion of Ford, to say "figure out what more people will buy from you".

Mercury's been right at the top of the vehicle dependability studies lately, what are you smoking?

Edited by Noah Harbinger

Prove that it wouldn't happen. Mercury has high results now. That's a fact. What you have put forward is simply speculation.

at some point common sense on merc has to prevail.i simply cannot see ford dumping its limited cash resources into new models that will be branded merc exclusive....they had their time..they need to go

at some point common sense on merc has to prevail.i simply cannot see ford dumping its limited cash resources into new models that will be branded merc exclusive....they had their time..they need to go

I never said they would be given exclusive models. It may have been in the article, but I'm skeptical. I think that there is a market for Mercury, I just hope that Ford is targeting the right one.

I never said they would be given exclusive models. It may have been in the article, but I'm skeptical. I think that there is a market for Mercury, I just hope that Ford is targeting the right one.

there market is in the nursing home or out at the cemetery....that have nothing to entice younger buyers into the showroom...suv's are dead..that was there last hope....may be mulally has a surprise..i dunno

Why would anyone want a Datsun these days? Didn't they quit building them in the early 1980's? It's Nissan now and has been for 25 years.

Ford are starting to build global cars now like the Fiesta do cut development costs so the chances of a European Mondeo or Focus CC that might offer something now won't in the future. I think there will be one world Focus global car in the not to distant future.

Only chance for Mercury will be if they use one of the new Ford platforms to build something different for a change but its just not going to happen with just about every car company being so cash strapped at the moment.

Gotta say if l was going to have do something with Mercury l do something different on a Ford platform why not make them another BMW something positioned between Ford and push Lincoln more upmarket like Lexus so Ford has got just about every corner of the market covered.

Mercury could draw on some great models of the past that sold well, the Mini has been a massive success story for BMW so if Mercury used lets say the evergreen European Mk3 Capri the European Mk1 was a massive hit for Mecury Stateside so it has the same global appeal of the BMW Mini, a T-Bird shape morphed Mazda MX-5 that is the the best selling sports car in the world, l was out shopping the other day l don't know if its just must me but could not help feel after looking at the old slightly boxy Mercedes Benz 190 & 280 & BMW 5 Series looked absolutely stunning and thinking if only Ford made something as classy as this l would buy one every few years. Then a pig ugly new jellymouled new Mondeo generic shaped Mercedes came in the car park just l was leaving the car park, l could not help but think l would not touch one of those with a barge pole l would never want one or buy one ever not even for free, maybe Mercury need build something classy as well again, that the buyer might want to buy not a heap of boring steel jelly.