HOW FORD WILL SAVE MERCURY

Merc gets 5 cars period. Marauder (Taurus SHO sedan) Monterey (Mondeo RS sedan/coupe) Cougar (Mustang GT coupe/conv) Cyclone (Focus RS coupe) Comet (Fiesta RS coupe). Merc becomes the Ford North America performence division for all the gear heads. Ford USA gets ZERO performence cars except for the Mustang and the T-bird because of their history. Ford USA becomes the everyman/women/green car company. Lincoln is all upscale luxury.....................

Edited by Lead Sled

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Mercury needs to offer some tangible product that Ford does not. I agree wholeheartedly with those who complain that a Ford can be gussied up to equal a Merc. My 1949 Mercury Club coupe wasn't a Ford, by any stretch; it was actually built off the smaller Lincoln body. However, by 1952 Ford was sharing fenders and doors with the '52 Merc.

The last Merc in my memory that successfully offered something significantly different from an equivalent Ford was the 1986 and 1987 Sable sedan; the Sable had a longer body than the Taurus, which made it look better, and delivered a larger trunk. But Ford remedied that situation quickly, when they gave both of the Taurus/Sable "twins" the same body a couple years later.

Personally, I see a lot of FoMoCo bean-counters interfering with the product line-up, by cutting a few cents here and there to save Ford a buck or two per vehicle, at the expense of individuality, customer comfort and convenience.

Mercury used to have its own engine, one not available in a Ford. How many people would miss the automatic parking brake release that was de-contented from my Grandma Marquis? How many noticed the deletion of the variable time delay of the autolamp feature? How many people lament the loss of the "instantaneous MPG" feature of the Merc's digi-dash? The 2003 GMQ had an overhead console with a sunglasses holder: neat trick! But, 2004 saw the console whittled down to one third the size, and the sunglasses holder disappeared, too. In 2005, the bean-boys went over the top when they deleted the hidden antenna and used a plain whip. Thankfully, 2006 saw the antenna back in the rear window, like it used to be. There are many more little annoyances that detract from the enjoyment of a "near-luxury" car like a Mercury.

Oh, well, I'm just rattling my gums and teeth now...

Regards,

Grandpa Gene

I would just make that a cougar already and call it a day.

Word

This would also get a chance at a ecoboost in RWD format. I think the 3.5l would be too big, but a 2.5l eco could work. say 250 - 300 hp. Bang em out the door at a little over $30k, I bet you could sell them. Good starting point for a hotrod. Maybe even a drift car. LOL, that will be the day.

Skape

Edited by SkapeGote

• 1 month later...

My Mercury showroom floor would consist of the following:

Milan - a five passenger four door sedan powered by an I4, an I4 hybrid, a 3.0L V6, and 3.5L V6

Cougar - a five passenger midsized FWD/AWD coupe based on the Milan sedan powered by an I4, an I4 hybrid, a 3.0L V6, and 3.5L V6

Grand Marquis - a luxury version of the new FWD/AWD, full sized Taurus sedan with distinctive sheet metal and interior appointments powered by a 3.5L DI V6

Marauder - a large five passenger coupe with the AWD drivetrain of the Taurus SHO sedan with distinctive sheet metal and interior appointments powered by a TT 3.5L DI V6

Mariner - a luxury version of the compact FWD/AWD four door Escape powered by an I4, an I4 hybrid, and a 3.0L V6 with distinctive sheet metal and interior appointments

Mountaineer - a luxury version of the 2009 Taurus-X CUV with distinctive sheet metal and interior appointments powered by a 3.5L DI V6

Mercury has done a lot of marketing directed at women for the Milan and Sable. That might have been short-sighted. You can sell a "man's" car to a woman but you can't sell a "chick's" car to a man. Chauvinistic, yes. But a reality.

there's a lot of vehicles I'd like to see with the Mercury badge (& grille ;))

&

tho I thought I posted in this thread -- I'd phrase the title

HOW MERCURY WILL SAVE FORD

like... when FML is stuck at 20% (15/2/3%) of the US market, investing in MERC will bump them up to 25.5+% = 15/7.5/3+% :D

anyhoo (ovl sizewise)

a Milan 3row monospace

a Cougar

a Milan

a Jetta size sedan & 5door AND the Hybrid/BEV/Extend (all 3 powertrains) (("M-type"?))

a Golf size sport coupe & sliding roof Capri

after those = the Marquis (sort of a super roomy Cougar)

ALL the sedans and coupes would have a Skoda Superb-ish dualback (so technically they'd be part-time hatches ;))

&

think I'd be happy :)

(except for figuring how to afford one of each!)

unless

I could add my Mariner derivatives:

2 & 3 row,

lifestyle trucklet (opt hybrid of course),

smaller X6-like supersport SUVlet

OH!

& by then we may as well add the Fiesta-based Comet 3door (with a SpOrT (near-exotic) platform-mate a la Reflex)

oops/edit

forgot to mention the Premium-Passenger TeeCo

(TransitConnect with serious interior appointments ;))

Edited by 2b2

Mercury has done a lot of marketing directed at women for the Milan and Sable. That might have been short-sighted. You can sell a "man's" car to a woman but you can't sell a "chick's" car to a man. Chauvinistic, yes. But a reality.

This is redicoulous. no self respecting woman would drive a mans car like a dodge durango. lol.

&

like... when FML is stuck at 20% (15/2/3%) of the US market, investing in MERC will bump them up to 25.5+% = 15/7.5/3+% :D

anyhoo (ovl sizewise)

a Milan 3row monospace

a Cougar

a Milan

a Jetta size sedan & 5door AND the Hybrid/BEV/Extend (all 3 powertrains) (("M-type"?))

ALL the sedans and coupes would have a Skoda Superb-ish dualback (so technically they'd be part-time hatches ;))

&

unless

2 & 3 row,

OH!

& by then we may as well add the Fiesta-based Comet 3door (with a SpOrT (near-exotic) platform-mate a la Reflex)

oops/edit

A cougar done right will save mercury. and done right can mean either Milan based or Mustang based, you will appeal to two different audiences but you will still have a hit. i think a happy median would be A milan based with a 3.5 V6.

&

anyhoo (ovl sizewise)

a Milan 3row monospace

a Cougar

a Milan

&

unless

2 & 3 row,

OH!

oops/edit

Call me crazy but I'd like to see the Miata re-badged as a Mercury. It seems odd that it is never mentioned in any discussion of giving Mercury products that aren't merely mirror images of Ford products. I don't suppose it would create a huge number of sales, but you wouldn't need to change a thing except the badge to sell it as a Mercury. I think it would be a boost to the public's perception of Mercury so long as it didn't hurt Mustang sales numbers. Or is the Miata going away?

Edited by povertyknob

The original Cougar in 1967 was Mustang based but the camouflage job was excellent. It was marketed more as a mini-Thunderbird and not as direct competition for Mustang. With the T-Bird gone, maybe a Mustang-based Cougar could fill in that gap.

i am not opposed to a mustang based cougar i would buy it in a second, but i think a milan based cougar would have a broader audience. i thought ford had up thier sleeve a new t-bird in a couple of years. i just wouldnt mine havving the tbird/cougar twins of the past based on fusion/milan.

The original Cougar in 1967 was Mustang based but the camouflage job was excellent. It was marketed more as a mini-Thunderbird and not as direct competition for Mustang. With the T-Bird gone, maybe a Mustang-based Cougar could fill in that gap.

AWwwwwwwright, here's something we gotta put a STOP to right now

(excuse me, would anyone else like some Bourbon?...)

The 1967 MUSTANG was COUGAR-based but with "successful" camouflage :D :P biggrin.gif

As Every Merc-guy knows down-deep-in-his-heart,

Ford's are just rebadged, decontented Mercurys!!!!!!!!!

('cepting the trucks & stuff)

Glad that's settled... ...need more ice

;)

Edited by 2b2

^Zing!

Honestly, I would look closely at just about any mid-sized coupe Mercury (or Ford) put out. I agree that a Fusion/Milan based coupe might have the broadest appeal. Maybe it should be exclusive to Mercury as the Cougar or Marauder. Meanwhile, Ford could get a two door version of the Taurus/SHO as the Maverick, Torino, or Thunderbird. Then again, this could be reversed and Mercury could get the big coupe while Ford gets a midsized coupe.

Maybe I'm a bit traditional in my thinking but sedans still hit me as old people's cars while coupes are almost always better looking and sportier than their four door counterparts.

Edited by T'Cal

• 5 months later...

We can probably all agree that the Ford division is over the hump with a growing good reputation and a nice pipeline. Lincoln is still a worki in progress, some nice new metal and technology, but no home runs yet. Then there is Mercury, my favorite ride for ages. Seems to me that FMC probably now has the resources to add some much needed product: Cougar, high margin; Capri, no domestic competition, and a flagship heart of the market upscale sedan.

Do you think any of this wish list is in the works? I notice that the last posting on this topic was months ago. Thrown in the towel?

...Throw in the towel?

first

NEVER GIVE UP!

:D

the Capri ie nextgen Focus Cabrio sold globally as a MERCURY is a No Brainer...

...therefore no guarantees ;)

COUGAR depends on what happens with the GRwdp

but

with the Focus-based sedan debuting soon and going on sale in about a year, Merc should get a BIG sales increase...

Now is the time for HOPE!