New RWD Lincoln

94ranger

Is there any chance of a RWD Lincoln Flagship coming down the pike to take on the STS or LS460 or anything like those? Or even something smaller or more coupe like to take on the Passat CC or MB CLS type cars.

There is a chance but it's dependent on the GRWD platform and that's a little up in the air right now. Mullaly has said that Lincoln will return to RWD but I don't think they'll be making a unique platform to do it, so GRWD and platform sharing with the Aussies is key.

It needs to be sold at all Ford outlets in Europe so it can join FOE zero RWD car line-up and offer something new and fresh for those that don't enjoy cheap and nasty FWD cars.

I think it'll be a long while before Ford even considers pushing Lincoln into Europe. Probably a better chance of seeing the Mustang there before any Lincoln. Of course, as soon as Ford announced it, the EU would find a way to neuter it.

I think it'll be a long while before Ford even considers pushing Lincoln into Europe. Probably a better chance of seeing the Mustang there before any Lincoln. Of course, as soon as Ford announced it, the EU would find a way to neuter it.

120 g/km CO2 EU rules will scupper just about anything built built at the moment by the big three after 2012, we will be getting the new Camero in the UK but l can't see it staying here for to long, l can't understand why GM are bothering as they will get hit with big C02 fines after 2012 it just does not make sense.

Gotta say l would love to see a global Mustang Nick, l would be the first in long queue to buy one but it would have to be a hybrid diesel, as the gasoline engine sizes (non hybrid) that have made it below or at the 120 g/km are very small 999cc 0.9L engines.

Gotta say l would love to see a global Mustang Nick, l would be the first in long queue to buy one but it would have to be a hybrid diesel, as the gasoline engine sizes (non hybrid) that have made it below or at the 120 g/km are very small 999cc 0.9L engines.

Get used to your FWD heaps then. I don't think there's a prayer of a diesel hybrid Mustang anytime soon.

Get used to your FWD heaps then. I don't think there's a prayer of a diesel hybrid Mustang anytime soon.

You to might get to drive these in your State to Nick :hysterical:

The auto industry and some analysts say it simply isn't possible to meet the regulation, which was to begin being phased in next year but almost certainly will be delayed by litigation. It takes about four years for an idea to go from concept to production, this argument goes, so anything the auto industry plans this year wouldn't roll off an assembly line until 2012. That, they say, would force automakers to either stop selling their biggest vehicles - pickup trucks, SUVs and large sedans - in California and other states with the same regulations or be fined for failing to meet the new emission standards.

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/01/the-auto-indust.html

You to might get to drive these in your State to Nick :hysterical:

The auto industry and some analysts say it simply isn't possible to meet the regulation, which was to begin being phased in next year but almost certainly will be delayed by litigation. It takes about four years for an idea to go from concept to production, this argument goes, so anything the auto industry plans this year wouldn't roll off an assembly line until 2012. That, they say, would force automakers to either stop selling their biggest vehicles - pickup trucks, SUVs and large sedans - in California and other states with the same regulations or be fined for failing to meet the new emission standards.

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/01/the-auto-indust.html

If Americans keep being the whiny voiceless pissants we seem to be becoming, you may be right. But I'll still have my Cobra.

If Americans keep being the whiny voiceless pissants we seem to be becoming, you may be right. But I'll still have my Cobra.

Have you gotta an awesome Cobra Nick well l never knew that, l thought you had a Mazda 6.

Still Californians might stage a riot when they wake up to the fact that all they will have drive is a Ford Ka and Euro Fiesta, and maybe a huge gas guzzling Focus monster 1600cc low C02 diesel if change their laws on diesels. :hysterical:

yes, but as a global car it could be badged as a Ford. A super luxe Ford.

I was reading some article talking about the health of GM and Ford and one of the comments mentioned in it was scrapping a RWD platform for Lincoln

That was a gross misinterpretation of what Kuzack actually said. I don't think it's been scrapped although the timeline and scope may have changed.

In behind the scenes, Ford is trying to work out whether FoA really wants another RWD Falcon or would they go with Taurus. Very tempting for Ford Australia as the Unique Falcon costs about $500 million every 5 years to refresh/evolve. In a small market like Australia, a reasonably big cost when profit in a good year reaches $150 million. No matter which way FoA choses, they have to partner in with Ford, going it alone is far too expensive these days

Edited by jpd80

For those of you wondering how hard it is to mix and match car bits, look at the Falcon front module

with fire wall attached, it wouldn't be hard to swap a FWD D3, CD3 or EUCD front end module

onto the Falcon. Equally, it wouldn't be hard to graft the Falcon front end module onto anything

from a Focus through Fusion, Mondeo to a Taurus.

we live in interesting times....

Falconmodule.jpg

Edited by jpd80

I think it's rather obvious. Given the new Taurus, Flex and Ecoboost engines for the D3 platform I think Ford is reconsidering the investment in GRWD for some market segments including the D3s and Panther replacements. I don't think there is any question that Mustang and a high end Lincoln flagship need GRWD but they might have to wait longer for those while resources are redirected to more pressing needs like the Fiesta, small ecoboost engines, C and CD platform mergers, etc.

I'm sure the projected sales of vehicles that would use GRWD have changed drastically since last year, therefore the business case must be reexamined to see if it still makes sense. Ford can't afford to invest limited resources on financially shaky projects right now.

More recently from Al 's pics it looks like he's given up the hunt for Manbearpig and decided to 'invest' in cheesy poofs.

BTW I'll take a RWD MKR. Just make it look like the concept.

If I can get a better-paying job, me to. But please, for the love of all that is good, ditch the "MK" naming scheme and give it a proper name.

How about Mark IX? I like the sound of that!