Horrible Edge Rip-Off

SVT_MAN

Am I the only person on here that likes the venza?

I like it better as the Edge.

Seriously, is this what we can expect from Toyota in the future?

They see a Ford model as a "success" and scramble to emulate it?

It's nice to see them trying to play catch-up for once, but I don't see what makes this any different than the awful Chinese knock offs.

I like it better as the Edge.

Seriously, is this what we can expect from Toyota in the future?

They see a Ford model as a "success" and scramble to emulate it?

It's nice to see them trying to play catch-up for once, but I don't see what makes this any different than the awful Chinese knock offs.

Wouldn't be the first time 'Yota copied Ford. Set your way-back machine to the late seventies when the Celica was a near 7/8 carbon copy of the Mustang, leaf spring rear suspension and all. If you jump forward a few years, the Camry raised more than a few eyebrows when it emulated the first generation Taurus.

this is the first you guys have seen of this?

its been in the news for a while now

its ugly.....not very surprising given the manufacturer but i have a feeling that it might start selling better than the Edge

I know the Venza is geared towards the Edge and Murano crowd, but I have a hard time comparing it to vehicles such as those. It comes across as a Taurus X type of vehicle (i.e. very station wagonesque). Besides it's not like Toyota has brought something game changing to a market that it's very late entering.

Wouldn't be the first time 'Yota copied Ford. Set your way-back machine to the late seventies when the Celica was a near 7/8 carbon copy of the Mustang, leaf spring rear suspension and all. If you jump forward a few years, the Camry raised more than a few eyebrows when it emulated the first generation Taurus.

0202b.JPG

I'm not sure if you are referring to this Camry or not, but I've always thought that this style Camry was pretty attractive in its clean lines and non-imposing nature. In fact, at the time, I preferred the Camry's styling to the Taurus (surprisingly)! IMO, this style has worn the best of any of Camry made. It also helped that the Camry wasn't a freaking boat back then. (Bigger isn't better! I can't believe Toyota fell into that trap.)

Ironically, my hatred for Toyota did not exist for the company back in the 90s. I actually loved the Toyota Supra (still do!) and liked the Toyota Camry (back in the day). The Supra has to be one of the smoothest looking cars ever made. I throughly believe that Ford's SN-95 Mustang (the smooth jelly bean one) copied the Toyota Supra's smooth lines. The Supra made the Fox Body Mustang look like it was from another decade.

To me, it is kind of sad that a company with such great design a decade ago have such design abortions these days. I guess I'm not shedding too many tears though since I hate Toyota so much these days. I loathe their followers, their business practices, and their dealership who think they are God's gift to America.

supra.jpg

It was basically when Toyota started developing appliances for a living that I started to hate them with a passion.

Edited by SVT_MAN

Wow, Richard - you must be crazy. They look NOTHING alike. :P BTW, nice use of illegal image extensions. Wouldn't let me reply until I deleted your images ... :P

Pretty crazy how blatant that is. Too bad they did a poor job, just like this latest Venza.

"The base price is near $26,695 for the front-drive four, but that includes a lot of features that come standard: stability control, traction control, ABS, a six-disc CD changer with XM antenna; all four side windows auto up/down; 19-inch wheels (20s with the V-6); foglamps; reclining rear seats; dual-zone climate control with rear-seat vents, seven airbags; and Hill-Start Assist"

from motortrend.

that is quite a bit of standard equipment. but the front is stll ugly. hell has officially frozen over, MT didnt even gush over it. they were incredibly confused if it was supposed to be a car, crossover, suv, or a truck.

According to the article it tops out over 40k -which they say is the same as the competition... I can't get an Edge much over 38.4, and that's with every box checked (I think?). I guess 1.5-2k isn't huge at that price point, but it seems to me that it gives the Edge an... edge (barring design preferences). As well, it seems that when we were looking at Edges you could get a really nice one closer to 32 (after that it's all the novelty upgrades like nav, remote start, and vista roofs -not that those things aren't nice to have...) I'm sure the same is prolly true for this thing though.

I'm with SVT MAN on this one. This is a blatant copy of the Edge! Compare the shape of the headlights and the greenhouse. It's truly ridiculous. And here's another example of Toyota copying Ford's design:

post-26859-1225778735_thumb.jpg post-26859-1225778750_thumb.jpg

2002 Camry vs. 2000 Taurus

Keep in mind that the 2000 Taurus was already on the road for two years before Toyota came out with their refreshed Camry! Notice the similarities especially between the headlights and the lower valence design.

And here's another example of Toyota copying Ford's design:

post-26859-1225778735_thumb.jpg post-26859-1225778750_thumb.jpg

2002 Camry vs. 2000 Taurus

Keep in mind that the 2000 Taurus was already on the road for two years before Toyota came out with their refreshed Camry! Notice the similarities especially between the headlights and the lower valence design.

Wow. You really think those look alike? I think you need to get your prescription checked. ;)

With the new 2.5L I4 finally garnering some decent hp numbers, wouldn't it be good idea to install it in Edge as base engine and lower the sticker price a couple thousand dollars with so many price conscience buyers out there. A 4 cylinder Edge should be able to get at least 28mpg with a little tweaking.