Stretched 2012 Taurus Interceptor?

joihan777

There's one big reason why the US has larger police vehicles: We have larger roads. With more wide open spaces and more high speed pursuits, the police want vehicles that are 1. atable at high speeds, 2. safe in the event of accidents, 3. durable enough to take a beating, 4. large enough to throw the baddies in the back when they catch em. Most cars sold here simply don't meet those criteria.

I do agree we do have bigger roads and is why I said, "Obviously we would still need larger vehicles for some tasks." But wide open roads are not representative of the entire US road infrastructure obviously, there are city streets and small narrow secondary roads. I feel that for cities and small rural departments that a fleet of smaller cars would serve perfectly fine, because as I said before other countries get by with smaller cars just fine on a daily basis, but they still have larger cars as well, just not as many. As for your 4 criteria for a police car: just because a car is smaller doesn't automatically mean that it is 1. not necessarily less stable at speed, 2. not necessarily less safe in the even of an accident, 3. not necessarily less durable, 4. why do the "baddies" have to ride in comfort?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As for your 4 criteria for a police car: just because a car is smaller doesn't automatically mean that it is 1. not necessarily less stable at speed, 2. not necessarily less safe in the even of an accident, 3. not necessarily less durable, 4. why do the "baddies" have to ride in comfort?

What small car sold in the US that is cheaper than a Crown Vic (important distinction to note) is more stable at speed? Which smaller car is safer? Which is more durable? And it's not really a matter of comfort. It's a matter of them fitting, period, while still leaving room for the officer up front. Sure, we could use more "paddy wagons" to transport with instead, but that's also another result of our wide-open landscape -- it just isn't practical to send out a van to pick them up most of the time.

I do agree that city police could probably get by with a much smaller vehicles in most cases though.

Hahaha!

How does SA80 to shame if the XM8 has never been fielded? I guess you never heard of the G36 rifle which the XM8 is based on. I can give less then two shits its the most accurate Bullpup design in the world...who cares? It goes back to the training of the soilder to hit targets not because its a bullpup vs a regular rifle design.

http://anarchangel.blogspot.com/2005/03/wh...y-bad-idea.html

The fact that it's based on the G36 is the problem. The design of the bolt mechanism makes it almost impossible to use in Bull-pup configuration. If you're a big fan of the G36, you should check out the SAR-21. This gun is my personal weapon of choice. Edited by Versa-Tech

What small car sold in the US that is cheaper than a Crown Vic (important distinction to note) is more stable at speed? Which smaller car is safer? Which is more durable? And it's not really a matter of comfort. It's a matter of them fitting, period, while still leaving room for the officer up front. Sure, we could use more "paddy wagons" to transport with instead, but that's also another result of our wide-open landscape -- it just isn't practical to send out a van to pick them up most of the time.

I do agree that city police could probably get by with a much smaller vehicles in most cases though.

Now I am not saying that is has to be a compact, but a midsize sedan would suffice in my opinion. There are plenty of midsize sedans that are just as safe as the Crown Vic. Additionally I believe there are plenty of smaller cars that are just as stable if not more stable at speed than the Crown Vic. I am certain that a midsize sedan could receive modifications that would make it more durable for the treachery through which police cars endure (i.e. Impala is an example). I think a midsize sedan could more than cope with holding three criminals in the back.

City police most definitely could get by with smaller cars and I also believe that very rural police districts could manage with smaller vehicles as well because if it is that rural there shouldn't be too much crime going on. The savings in fuel costs would be astronomical if city and rural police districts switched to smaller cars. Those savings would really help right now in balancing budgets.

The obvious replacement for the Panther BOF platform is the Falcon Unitary platform.

Falcon/Territory by FoA makes for a compelling arguement as development costs already amortised.

V8 and Turbo I-6 options are available but unlike the Pontiac G8, Falcon products are more centred

around the I-6 version which is where the bulk of sales are now these days.

Ford will need to fill niche markets, if they're smart they can back end onto existing FWD or RWD products and reap real cost savings benefits. At least Ford has several options, unlike GM or Chrysler....

STAP is still making a substantial profit nothing like it was 8 or 10 years ago. But it is still making cash for Ford. And that is more than some vehicles have been doing for Ford. The Panthers will hang around till they are no longer making Ford money. Which is still several years off.

The panther in it's self is only as dated as it subcomponents. The basic design is still solid but the lack of sheet metal updates in almost 20 years or major component updates since before the last decade is starting to take it's toll. The cars could receive a comprehensive update for minimal costs compared to other platforms. Ford gambled in the early part of the century that sales would fall off rapidly and the vehicles could be cut with minimal fuss. And they could put all their eggs in the up and coming D3 basket. Well Ford gambled and lost. For what the Five Hindered-Taurus Sable, cost the Panthers could have had a ground up redo a couple times over and added the same number of sales that D3 sedans did and done it with a higher profit margin. The D3 CUV's were necessary either way. The Five Hundred Taurus Sable have not added any more to Fords bottom line than an Updated Panther could have and in all likely hood an updated Panther would have added more to the bottom line. It would have trumped the 300-Charger and anchored it's place as the standard unit for Leo's. And stolen a good chunk of the 250K yearly sales the LX cars enjoyed upon release. LEO's are not leaving the CV due to lack of ability but lack of updates to stay current in the market place.

The biggest issue with the D3's and Chargers for police use is a lack of hip room that is something that cannot be over come in either without major structural changes in the unit chassis. Essentially your going to end up a new vehicle when done. Yes the D3's trunk is larger but the shallow configuration compared to the Panthers deep trunk does lend it's self well to police use. Just stating numbers does not tell the whole story. The panthers truck is near a full 3 feet deep and is perfect for hauling bulky items as is common in police work. This is part of the reason lots of LEO's are looking at going to SUV's as they will have height needed in the cargo area to haul bulky items.

The D3 sedans are still needed but I feel that Ford should have spent the money developing the Five Hundred on the Panthers a comprehensive update on those vehicles would have netted better returns and they would not have needed to be looked again for 10 years minimum other than minor upgrades unlike the D3 sedans that is now looking at the second update in a 5 year period. The profits from the revamped Panthers could have then be used to develop the D3 sedans.

The question is now, does Ford gamble and redo the panthers to retain and possibly increase the current sales ? or abandon the segment all together ?

If Ford is going to remain profitable they have to quit abandoning established segments that make them money in the hopes of pulling off a hat trick in a new segment. Yes Ford needs to explore and compete in new segments but it should not be at at the expense of established and profitable ones.

A lot of LEO's will not use FWD based cruisers. Their track record has been dismal to put it mildly. And even the Charger has not exactly been setting any durability records. Remember the Panthers are basically a light truck chassis with a car body on them. And in fact they lent their basic front suspension design to the last gen of 2wd F150's. It is going to be near impossible to build a unit car with the same toughness built in as the Panthers. So the big question is can the panthers be updated to retain the 80 to 90K sales they currently have (and possibly add more) and remain viable long enough to pay the investment off and turn a profit.

St Thomas and the Panthers have been one of the few plants and platforms that has consistently made Ford money. The one advantage to the segment is the lack of needing continual updates

it is basically an update and forget about about it (other than minor tweeks) for a decade kind of segment.

Give the Panthers a comprehensive update and you may very well lurer back the droves of customers that abandoned them for full size suvs. Me included. Of the 8 former Panther owners I know ALL now own full size suv's, and with the exception of my self all own GMC's.

Matthew

Well Matthew, Once again you've saved me a lot of typing. If I ever go back to school for a PHD, would you please write my thesis?

The fact that it's based on the G36 is the problem. The design of the bolt mechanism makes it almost impossible to use in Bull-pup configuration. If you're a big fan of the G36, you should check out the SAR-21. This gun is my personal weapon of choice.

OOOHHH, This has turned into a cool thread!

I was lucky to have been the armorer for my NG unit, (1990's). So I got to go to some great schools & fire a lot of nice hardware.

My opinion:

M-16 is still the best all around assualt rifle out there. M-16 really shines when pulling off succesive rounds very quickly. Very easy to stay on target and get a good shot group. Only problem is that the buffer that makes it so easily controlled, also makes it impossible to have a compact rifle.

For the first round, I liked the AR18 better than the M-16. Very accurate and nice tight shot grouping if you take your time between rounds. But it'll lose composure if you fire too fast. Interesting note that the SA80 used a lot of the AR18 in it's design.

AK-** Good and reliable but not a good shooter, Even the Dragunov version is less accurate than an M-16. Galil is the best of the breed.

Bullpups: Fired both AK versions and SA80's. Just can't get used to them. Had to shoot them with iron sights & accurate sighting was difficult. Might be good with a modern scope though.

Now if you want to talk about real guns, the M68 on my tank, (active duty in the 80's) was hot!

Edited by Hemiman

Now I am not saying that is has to be a compact, but a midsize sedan would suffice in my opinion. There are plenty of midsize sedans that are just as safe as the Crown Vic. Additionally I believe there are plenty of smaller cars that are just as stable if not more stable at speed than the Crown Vic. I am certain that a midsize sedan could receive modifications that would make it more durable for the treachery through which police cars endure (i.e. Impala is an example). I think a midsize sedan could more than cope with holding three criminals in the back.

City police most definitely could get by with smaller cars and I also believe that very rural police districts could manage with smaller vehicles as well because if it is that rural there shouldn't be too much crime going on. The savings in fuel costs would be astronomical if city and rural police districts switched to smaller cars. Those savings would really help right now in balancing budgets.

I think in inner city situations, you may have a point. But I still have no idea what vehicle would use less gasoline while still able to carry 2 officers and gear (not just their belt packs, but the ALL the stuff they carry in the trunk), survive 24 hr shifts day after day, laugh at potholes and drive over curbs without requiring frame straightening, cheap initial costs as well as easy to work on & maintain, enjoy high structural strength & mass in case of accidents, have a space for inmates & lastly be comfortable to sit in all day?

Even a stretched Taurus may not be able to handle all those requirements. Seems so far that a redone panther that is much more modern looking while retaining its core strengths may be the best bet, at least for most police work. The only addition so far lacking is a modular AWD option for northern climates.

I know here in Cali the CHP NEED high speed stable cars.. they get over 100mph often. A Mustang or Camaro would be small for them. Maybe a Taurus or Fusion might be OK for facility police like airport, university, mall use... but not for the State/County/big City police.

Who knows, maybe there's a forum in England about why the Americans get the good cop cars while they get the mommy cars?

Edited by joihan777

I think in inner city situations, you may have a point. But I still have no idea what vehicle would use less gasoline while still able to carry 2 officers and gear (not just their belt packs, but the ALL the stuff they carry in the trunk), survive 24 hr shifts day after day, laugh at potholes and drive over curbs without requiring frame straightening, cheap initial costs as well as easy to work on & maintain, enjoy high structural strength & mass in case of accidents, have a space for inmates & lastly be comfortable to sit in all day?

Even a stretched Taurus may not be able to handle all those requirements. Seems so far that a redone panther that is much more modern looking while retaining its core strengths may be the best bet, at least for most police work. The only addition so far lacking is a modular AWD option for northern climates.

I know here in Cali the CHP NEED high speed stable cars.. they get over 100mph often. A Mustang or Camaro would be small for them. Maybe a Taurus or Fusion might be OK for facility police like airport, university, mall use... but not for the State/County/big City police.

Who knows, maybe there's a forum in England about why the Americans get the good cop cars while they get the mommy cars?

Why do so many think the Taurus would need to be stretched for police duty? As I have mentioned before, many, many police districts are be very successful in using Impalas, a car that has slightly smaller interior dimensions as well as a smaller trunk compared to the Taurus. Additionally why wouldn't a Taurus be just as stable at speeds above 100 mph, there is no reason it wouldn't, there is even a chance the Taurus would be even more stable at those speeds.

Why do so many think the Taurus would need to be stretched for police duty? As I have mentioned before, many, many police districts are be very successful in using Impalas, a car that has slightly smaller interior dimensions as well as a smaller trunk compared to the Taurus. Additionally why wouldn't a Taurus be just as stable at speeds above 100 mph, there is no reason it wouldn't, there is even a chance the Taurus would be even more stable at those speeds.

And 50 Times as many have not been sucsefull using them. The EPS here went down that road and bought a Crap load of Impala's With every intention of displacing the CV's out of the fleet, the lower initial purchase price better fuel consumption made it seem like a no brainer. Well the end result was after 2 years the whole works of them were sold off. The Impala proved to be woefully inadequate and had 3 times as much down time for repairs as the CV's Even the cabbies after buying the first lot did not want them. The last batch to be sold ended up going to the recyclers as no one would would meet the minimum pre bids put on them by the junkyards.

EPS tested the Magnum and Charger and found them lacking as well. And never purchased any. Some districts wll only use CV's for crusiers. These cars are what has worked best for the service they see for most PD's.

And as it stands right now it would be cheaper to spring for an update on the Panthers than pursuing GRWD.

GRWD is a big gamble that will cost a signifigant amount of money. With No guarnetees that you will retain the exsisting Customer Fleet base.

The Panthers can be redone and still share most of the hardware with exsisting models. All the switch gear and base Elec componants can come out of the parts bin. The drive lines just have to mirrior F 150 offerings.

What ever will fit int he F150 can be crammed under hood of the Panthers. Hell even the V10 fits in them with minmal fuss.

If the rear suspension is changed to match the Current Stang then more parts bin parts. Basically you would be left a Front suspention (the current exsisting bits a can be used for that as it still more than adequate) and new top hat body structure and some chassis changes to update it. Changes that would have to be done to a GRWD any way for the NA market.

Plus you would have a decade or more to recover the investment before you even had to look at the things again.

The current big issue is crash ratings Frontal and Side in the Panther. The frontal crash ratign issue is a no brainer and a minimal cost fix. As the CV is still one of the only vehicles still being made with no body structure ahead of the fire wall. Even the Super Duty has a front body structure and has for years now. Add that frontal structure and problem solved.

Side impact can be built in in to the new body and would proboly be the single biggest engineering expense.

It would be chepaer faster and a safer bet right now to update the Panther than pursue GRWD for the immediate future. An Ecoboot V6 would be a big selling feature. Better fuel milage than the exsisitng V8 with more power.

The current body style was designed and put in to propduction in justt 2 years. The body was diffrent and that was about it. Every thing else came out the Ford parts bin or was slightly modified for the 92 CV GM.

Ford does not have billions to spend on a GRWD like they did on the D3 right now.

This would have to be done on the cheap with the most bang for the buck. And for now that is new sheet metal with some upgrades to fix the few short commings. Primarly the archaric Rear suspension and Drive Line.

Matthew

And 50 Times as many have not been sucsefull using them. The EPS here went down that road and bought a Crap load of Impala's With every intention of displacing the CV's out of the fleet, the lower initial purchase price better fuel consumption made it seem like a no brainer. Well the end result was after 2 years the whole works of them were sold off. The Impala proved to be woefully inadequate and had 3 times as much down time for repairs as the CV's Even the cabbies after buying the first lot did not want them. The last batch to be sold ended up going to the recyclers as no one would would meet the minimum pre bids put on them by the junkyards.

EPS tested the Magnum and Charger and found them lacking as well. And never purchased any. Some districts wll only use CV's for crusiers. These cars are what has worked best for the service they see for most PD's.

And as it stands right now it would be cheaper to spring for an update on the Panthers than pursuing GRWD.

GRWD is a big gamble that will cost a signifigant amount of money. With No guarnetees that you will retain the exsisting Customer Fleet base.

The Panthers can be redone and still share most of the hardware with exsisting models. All the switch gear and base Elec componants can come out of the parts bin. The drive lines just have to mirrior F 150 offerings.

What ever will fit int he F150 can be crammed under hood of the Panthers. Hell even the V10 fits in them with minmal fuss.

If the rear suspension is changed to match the Current Stang then more parts bin parts. Basically you would be left a Front suspention (the current exsisting bits a can be used for that as it still more than adequate) and new top hat body structure and some chassis changes to update it. Changes that would have to be done to a GRWD any way for the NA market.

Plus you would have a decade or more to recover the investment before you even had to look at the things again.

The current big issue is crash ratings Frontal and Side in the Panther. The frontal crash ratign issue is a no brainer and a minimal cost fix. As the CV is still one of the only vehicles still being made with no body structure ahead of the fire wall. Even the Super Duty has a front body structure and has for years now. Add that frontal structure and problem solved.

Side impact can be built in in to the new body and would proboly be the single biggest engineering expense.

It would be chepaer faster and a safer bet right now to update the Panther than pursue GRWD for the immediate future. An Ecoboot V6 would be a big selling feature. Better fuel milage than the exsisitng V8 with more power.

The current body style was designed and put in to propduction in justt 2 years. The body was diffrent and that was about it. Every thing else came out the Ford parts bin or was slightly modified for the 92 CV GM.

Ford does not have billions to spend on a GRWD like they did on the D3 right now.

This would have to be done on the cheap with the most bang for the buck. And for now that is new sheet metal with some upgrades to fix the few short commings. Primarly the archaric Rear suspension and Drive Line.

Matthew

Many police districts have been more than successful implementing the Impala as evidenced by the fact that many districts throughout the country still buy them, granted State Troopers still buy exclusively Crown Vic. Additionally Ford's investment in D3 hasn't been as big as you would like to think, the most current iteration of the D3 still shares many things with the original Volvo P2 version. Why would Ford invest in a platform that has its beginnings in the 1970's? It makes no sense. Additionally with each passing year the possible powertrain shairing between the F-150 and Panthers get less and less. By the time Ford would implement any of your suggested updates to the Panthers it would ring in an woefully high price tag for an automobile that will be making minimal profit for Ford.

Panthers will rule forever! BWA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!

That said, here's your future cop car: Cop Car

Ran across the article the other day. Even if a current manufacturer produces the next cop car, I'll bet this is far closer than others.

The Impala has been most successful in small towns and rural areas, where high speed pursuits are rare and curb hopping is at a minimum. That said, my town and county are still 100% CV.

The Impala's back seat is small compared to the Fusion! I drove an Impala when I bought the MGM, as well as a Montego (and yes, it's back seat and trunk are bigger in length, not width though). I honestly told the dealer he should keep that Impala on the lot and put EVERYONE in it before he put them in a Ford. I would say GM and Ford had an equal chance of becoming my new brand (I used to drive Chryslers) until that test drive.

Edited by WC-MAN

Once upon a time, I got to fire an AR-10, a .308 M-16. Marvellous.

Fired the Austrian military riflr, the Steyr AUG. Impressive. Put the 1.3X orange dot where you want, and reach out and touch someone.

aug20.gif

I used to use a Steyr, But I prefer the G36 ergos and insane fully automatic accuracy of the SAR-21. At 25 yds, it's an absolute beast :yup:

BTW: Anyone looking for a good Bullpup AK should take a look at this. It's custom, but DAMN!

Edited by Versa-Tech

Matthew

Well put.

Question regarding Ford deciding to update the panthers and go ahead and provided a stronger front end.

Would it be possible to engineer a modular 4WD kit that can be installed for snow conditions and taken out for summer?

A mechanic friend of mine told me that some 4x4 trucks are easy to swap. So if the panthers shared drivetrain components with F-150, can such a kit be inexpensively manufatured?

Panthers will rule forever! BWA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!

Ran across the article the other day. Even if a current manufacturer produces the next cop car, I'll bet this is far closer than others.

The Impala has been most successful in small towns and rural areas, where high speed pursuits are rare and curb hopping is at a minimum. That said, my town and county are still 100% CV.

The Impala's back seat is small compared to the Fusion! I drove an Impala when I bought the MGM, as well as a Montego (and yes, it's back seat and trunk are bigger in length, not width though). I honestly told the dealer he should keep that Impala on the lot and put EVERYONE in it before he put them in a Ford. I would say GM and Ford had an equal chance of becoming my new brand (I used to drive Chryslers) until that test drive.

I've seen it. Looks awesome, costs an arm and a leg...

The CT state police have a few unmarked Tauruses already. I saw someone get pulled over by a white one 2 days ago... It really surprised me I saw the lights go on... Though the strobe lights look really cool in the clear tail lights.

We have some unmarked Taurus'. A cop neighbor of mine drives an unmarked (although has the obvious "cop car" look) 300.

Doesn't Ford already make police package Explorers? And what about a Flex as an interceptor? Oh and i think the Mustang is just what is needed for highway patrol duty.

I believe they do....several departments near me use them.....they also use Durangos and Expeditions. I think there was a thread somewhere about a Interceptor Flex.

I do agree we do have bigger roads and is why I said, "Obviously we would still need larger vehicles for some tasks." But wide open roads are not representative of the entire US road infrastructure obviously, there are city streets and small narrow secondary roads. I feel that for cities and small rural departments that a fleet of smaller cars would serve perfectly fine, because as I said before other countries get by with smaller cars just fine on a daily basis, but they still have larger cars as well, just not as many. As for your 4 criteria for a police car: just because a car is smaller doesn't automatically mean that it is 1. not necessarily less stable at speed, 2. not necessarily less safe in the even of an accident, 3. not necessarily less durable, 4. why do the "baddies" have to ride in comfort?

So I guess if a rural small road chase turned into a large one, they'd call in larger CV's from somewhere else? What if they don't have any b/c they bought all small cars.

There's no guarantees that you'll do anything with any vehicle......but there is the possibility that you would not only retain the existing customer base, as well as bring in new customers by offering a retail version (this would obviously require new sheetmetal at the least, but that was part of what was stated above).

I was wondering if that thing was still around.....are they actually going to make it because I remember there was a thread here a very long time ago about that vehicle.

Isn't it obvious that the design no longer "works"?

How about this (attached) redesign for the Crown Vic?

1) The original chop

2) Obviously the Crown Vic

3) Original chop w/ updated trunk lines

4) Original chop w/ reversed healight rings as Hemiman requested

5) A quick Police Interceptor chop (I'll add a top lightbar later)

And sorry about the chop quality.....when I originally posted them, they looked much better, but since then, they've become pixelated and/or fuzzy for some reason.

EDIT: Here's a link to the original thread I posted this in a year and a few weeks ago if anybody is interested: http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...=18962&st=0

post-28332-1229330474_thumb.jpg

Edited by rmc523

1) The original chop

And sorry about the chop quality.....when I originally posted them, they looked much better, but since then, they've become pixelated and/or fuzzy for some reason.

EDIT: Here's a link to the original thread I posted this in a year and a few weeks ago if anybody is interested: http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...=18962&st=0

I recall those from awhile back. Does a good job modernizing it a bit, but I still doubt it would go far enough to recover any of the retail market it surrendered, which, in the end, will be the death of it.

"I do agree we do have bigger roads and is why I said, "Obviously we would still need larger vehicles for some tasks." But wide open roads are not representative of the entire US road infrastructure obviously, there are city streets and small narrow secondary roads. I feel that for cities and small rural departments that a fleet of smaller cars would serve perfectly fine, because as I said before other countries get by with smaller cars just fine on a daily basis, but they still have larger cars as well, just not as many. As for your 4 criteria for a police car: just because a car is smaller doesn't automatically mean that it is 1. not necessarily less stable at speed, 2. not necessarily less safe in the even of an accident, 3. not necessarily less durable, 4. why do the "baddies" have to ride in comfort?"

So I guess if a rural small road chase turned into a large one, they'd call in larger CV's from somewhere else? What if they don't have any b/c they bought all small cars.

Within in my post I clearly stated "Obviously we would still need larger vehicles for some tasks." I have bolded this above. I will now expound on that statement: My idea is that the majority of the police fleet would be smaller (not necessarily compacts) vehicles, while there would still be smaller portion of larger vehicles (not necessarily Crown Vics).

As a result there is a solution to your hypothetical situation; if a rural road chase turned into a large one there would be larger vehicles to call upon. Additionally don't be mistaken in thinking that smaller cars would not be capable of doing a high speed chase, because they would.

We have some unmarked Taurus'. A cop neighbor of mine drives an unmarked (although has the obvious "cop car" look) 300.

I believe they do....several departments near me use them.....they also use Durangos and Expeditions. I think there was a thread somewhere about a Interceptor Flex.

There's no guarantees that you'll do anything with any vehicle......but there is the possibility that you would not only retain the existing customer base, as well as bring in new customers by offering a retail version (this would obviously require new sheetmetal at the least, but that was part of what was stated above).

I was wondering if that thing was still around.....are they actually going to make it because I remember there was a thread here a very long time ago about that vehicle.

1) The original chop

Ewwww. The headlights and rims make me want to throw up :wacko:

I recall those from awhile back. Does a good job modernizing it a bit, but I still doubt it would go far enough to recover any of the retail market it surrendered, which, in the end, will be the death of it.

Thanks, and I'm sure you're right about it not recovering any market share.....it would likely take an all-new, non CV named vehicle to have any chance of succeeding.

Within in my post I clearly stated "Obviously we would still need larger vehicles for some tasks." I have bolded this above. I will now expound on that statement: My idea is that the majority of the police fleet would be smaller (not necessarily compacts) vehicles, while there would still be smaller portion of larger vehicles (not necessarily Crown Vics).

As a result there is a solution to your hypothetical situation; if a rural road chase turned into a large one there would be larger vehicles to call upon. Additionally don't be mistaken in thinking that smaller cars would not be capable of doing a high speed chase, because they would.

Gotcha, must've missed that statement in your earlier post.

Ewwww. The headlights and rims make me want to throw up :wacko:

LOL, sorry...

Oh well you can't please everybody, good try all the same

but I think I know what you were trying to achieve.

Although not the same, our last Fairlane looked a little similar in the front:

fairlane_new.jpg

Really all I was trying to achieve was to simply update the thing, and in that regard, pretty much anything could've worked.

And, yes, that does sort of have a similar look......I tried to incorporate the 3 bar grille, but making it less flashy (I reversed the Taurus' grille).....essentially, I sorta followed the Expedition's take on the 3 bar (the opposite way, having three open slats instead of 3 bars).

My first question would be, Why would Ford want to replace the CV with anything? I mean, it drags down the value of the vehicle, and the profits are hardly worth it to substantiate it. If anything, this is what they are growing away from, or at least trying to.

They'll continue to ride the CV till it's last day but as I understand it, 2011 or 2012 is when the federal mandate kicks in that makes the CV obsolete. Its too expensive to re-engineer a vehicle, just to move the fuel tank forward of the rear axle. So at that point it'll be killed. Let the Impala be the cops new darlin'.

A RWD car in another country, already developed and a proven performer awaits the call up.

Falcon already has the fuel tank forward of the rear axle, beautiful fuel efficient power and IRS.

The styling isn't to US tastes but the skin can be changed and it's what's under there that matters.

Edit,

Antaus is right, the market is going away from RWD but isn't it better to handle a niche product

like RWD cop, performance and luxury cars that probably total out at 30,000 or 50,000 cars/ year

as imports built in an existing factory? That way the go on the CAFE register as imports balances

against the Fiestas from Mexico.

Edited by jpd80