Taurus X Killed

ANTAUS

I live in upstate NY. They are all over the place up here.

I live in Rochester, NY and I've only seen one and that was at Home Depot.

It's a shame this one is getting the axe. I own a Freestyle and this was by far the best vehicle I've owned! This was purely Ford's fault for not marketing this vehicle well. After months of marketing galore for the Flex and they were able to muster 1K more than the Taurus X that never received any attention. I wonder what would happen if the situation was reversed? The Flex is a few thousand dollars more than the Taurus X and the car-based Explorer won't be here for a while so I don't really follow this logic at all. I'm gonna try to pick up a used TX if I can because this is one heck of a versatile vehicle!!

THEY SOLD 50,000 FLEX'S?? I HAVE YET TO SEE ONE ON THE ROAD IN NY

Have seen quite a few her in CO. Mighty nice too!

I was being sarcastic and sincere at the same time, if that's possible. That vehicle was perfect for Subaru.

Certainly better than the Tribeca.

Agreed! Even though I'm not a big Subie or Wagon fan, my brothers Freestyle is mighty nice (interior, not the front end styling) and very capable for what it is.

Edited by V8-X

After 3 Explorers in a row the Taurus X fills the bill for a small fam way better. It is a shame because it is the right size and inside and out for us. Safe as can be, and great driver too. We would get into a Flex next but it too much $$ option for option. My Taurus X Limited AWD was $35,000 an SEL Flex same options is $38,000 and the lease payment is $100.00 more per month for 3 years and the X payment was for 2 years. And its not like the Taurus X ever had a great lease deal or anything. The lease on the X was always average at best. Oh well.

Not quite. I'm predicting at current marketshare, it will top out at 30-35k its first year (assuming a 12MM market). If it had 0.30% marketshare in 2007, it would have sold 50,000 at a 0.30% markethare. If they achieve the 0.45% they originally eyed, they'd get about 50k in a 12MM market (November was 10.5MM for reference, I believe).

All a marketshare game in markets this bad.

Ok, I see what you're saying now......well I attempted to explain it.

I've been seeing a few more Flex's lately on the road here in San Diego.

I see two almost every day (one ours, and one somebody I coach with), but I do see some other ones running around sometimes.

Maybe I've been mislead, but my understanding on partly why the GTO was axed is due not meeting certain airbags regulations.

"We announced that the GTO will be discontinued because of some new federal safety standards on air bags," he said. "To bring it back for 2007, the instrument panel would have to be extensively re-engineered, and that would be too costly. Unfortunately, we love the car and would love to keep building it."

http://www.cars.com/go/crp/research.jsp?re...mp;aff=national

Back to topic.

The reality is the entire Holden Commodore range (of which the Holden Monaro/Pontiac GTO was literally a two door bodystyle of that same range) was recently redesigned and likely had to improve airbag safety on all bodystyles. The GTO depended on Holden offering a Monaro 2-door coupe which they chose not to continue. With no two door Monaro there is no GTO.

Instead the US got a redesigned Holden Commodore badged as a Pontiac G8 so as not to offend anyone by calling it a GTO since it had four doors. If there were plans for Holden to offer a Monaro 2-door again based on the new Commodore designs then the GTO would more than likely have been continued.

Remember the GTO was not the reason the Monaro existed in the first place. It was the other way around. Local Australian market demand vs. production cost is what determined whether to make a redesigned two door Monaro coupe or not.

Edited by StangBang

I agree, it was a very un-Ford vehicle. I really liked that thing though. I didn't hate the styling as much as people here, but i had a chance to ride in one once, and that thing was nice. If I had the cash I would pick one up when the prices bottom-out.

But then again I like Subarus - used to anyway, not so much after the last batch of restyling...good Lord. :rant:

Funny I always related the new Flex front end design to the blocky front end shapes of a 1979 Econoline Van and even the late model ones. To me it looks very much like a chopped and channeled Ford Econoline! Flex Club Wagon Anyone?

1979-Ford-Econoline-pic.jpg

w_1FBSS31L97DA62128_1.jpg

Edited by StangBang

Um.... the Flex IS the reason the Taurus X was culled -- the Flex is the evolution, the Taurus X the degenerate. Well not really 'cause they're both great vehicles... but the Flex does seem to be more about where Ford wants to be going forward.

the Flex was killed because of the next explorer, which is due in the next 18 months.

too bad. i'll just have to buy a used one to replace the freestyle.

wrong car, apparently, for today's market. under-marketed. poorly styled. stupid name-game problems.

still, it's one helluva useful vehicle.

Absolutely correct. My daughter-in-law has one- a Freestyle that is. Limited AWD. they love it and never understood why Ford never did more to hype the vehicle. And they are the right "demographic" Young couple with two little kids and (I hope) significant future earning potential.

Another great baby that gets thrown out with the bath water. Yeh I know - too man vehicles in the same segment- maybe they should study how THAT happens??

THEY SOLD 50,000 FLEX'S?? I HAVE YET TO SEE ONE ON THE ROAD IN NY

Really? I've seen 3 of them on my side of town, and I've been up to my eyeballs in schoolwork so I don't even get out these days!

That's a miracle given that Elk Grove Ford got killed and we have to go 20+ miles for anything Ford.

BTW- I did a "man on the street" with one driver and she told me she loved her Flex!

Edited by joihan777

we love our 08 Taurus X eddie Bauer. drives like a sedan, not so large like the GM lambdas or a minivan.

i would say the only thing it really lacks is some cargo room and utility, but 95% of the time its no issue.

overall, the best vehicle we've ever had, inclusive of the 06 five hundred which itself was exceptional.