Ford halts plans for rwd cars - Automotive News:

Sad, truly sad. Guess we can just hope the Panther sticks around longer.

On the bright side, it doesn't sound like they are canceling the idea, just not going forward with it. It might not be much, but it's enough to keep my fingers crossed.

When NASCAR goes to front wheel drive, then I might think of it. But as long as the cars that are built to preform are rear wheel, I will be buying rear wheel.

Ford seems to think if they can distract us with a bunch of electronic gizmos we won't care if our cars become appliances like Toyota's, they are ignoring the entire car buying segment that actually enjoys driving their cars. Companies like BMW rely on every sale from these kinds of people, and they would never consider a boring/huge/heavy FWD Ford.

It's funny too, they say they can't do RWD because of FE, yet lowly little Hyundai built a great handling/braking/riding RWD luxury sedan with a powerful V8, one that makes over a hundred horsepower MORE than the FWD Lincoln MKS, yet it gets BETTER fuel economy on the highway!!! Go figure..

So what does Ford do? Do they build lightweight fuel efficient FWD cars? Well there's the Fusion, they've got that base covered, the Focus isn't worth mentioning until it's replacement gets here, the Fiesta is on the way. So what do they spend time and resources on? Building huge, heavy, gas guzzling FWD/AWD CUV's and cars. No small RWD, no mid-size RWD, nothing. All things being equal, FWD may get slightly better FE, maybe 1-2% or so, but I know one thing for sure, RWD gets far superior mileage to AWD anyday, and all of Fords high powered ecoboost powered cars need AWD to handle the power since the inferior FWD transaxles can't handle the power.

It's simply a bean counter move, they are gonna use that old Volvo chassis for all it's worth, who knows how many different names will be affixed to the same car by the time they are done, they are already killing the Explorer to build yet another station wagon off the D3, I don't see it turning out well for them..

Edited by Blueblood

Ford seems to think if they can distract us with a bunch of electronic gizmos we won't care if our cars become appliances like Toyota's, they are ignoring the entire car buying segment that actually enjoys driving their cars. Companies like BMW rely on every sale from these kinds of people, and they would never consider a boring/huge/heavy FWD Ford.

It's funny too, they say they can't do RWD because of FE, yet lowly little Hyundai built a great handling/braking/riding RWD luxury sedan with a powerful V8, one that makes over a hundred horsepower MORE than the FWD Lincoln MKS, yet it gets BETTER fuel economy on the highway!!! Go figure..

So what does Ford do? Do they build lightweight fuel efficient FWD cars? Well there's the Fusion, they've got that base covered, the Focus isn't worth mentioning until it's replacement gets here, the Fiesta is on the way. So what do they spend time and resources on? Building huge, heavy, gas guzzling FWD/AWD CUV's and cars. No small RWD, no mid-size RWD, nothing. All things being equal, FWD may get slightly better FE, maybe 1-2% or so, but I know one thing for sure, RWD gets far superior mileage to AWD anyday, and all of Fords high powered ecoboost powered cars need AWD to handle the power since the inferior FWD transaxles can't handle the power.

It's simply a bean counter move, they are gonna use that old Volvo chassis for all it's worth, who knows how many different names will be affixed to the same car by the time they are done, they are already killing the Explorer to build yet another station wagon off the D3, I don't see it turning out well for them..

Forgot to add $5K cheaper too. :stirpot:

Forgot to add $5K cheaper too. :stirpot:

It's still a Hyundai. That's why. Enjoy getting that Genesis serviced. That alone would be worth the $5K price of admission Lincoln is asking.

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings/service-ratings

2008091a.gif

You may be buying what appears to be a luxury car, but you sure aren't going to get luxury customer service along with it.

Edited by NickF1011

It's still a Hyundai. That's why. Enjoy getting that Genesis serviced. That alone would be worth the $5K price of admission Lincoln is asking.

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings/service-ratings

2008091a.gif

You may be buying what appears to be a luxury car, but you sure aren't going to get luxury customer service along with it.

According to your chart they are rated better than Ford, and that's besides the point, the point is that they figured out how to build a superior RWD car, and Ford can't even for Lincoln. Why can Hyundai build a world class RWD car and Ford can't? I see Buick is rated higher than Lincoln, since that's who Lincoln competes against I guess they loseon that front too... :stirpot:

the point is that they figured out how to build a superior RWD car, and Ford can't even for Lincoln. Why can Hyundai build a world class RWD car and Ford can't?

Because Hyundai has spare resources and money, and Ford doesn't. I don't know why that's so hard to understand.

The Panther platform is unbelievably dated. Ford has taken the foolish "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach with these three cars. Ford relies too heavily on fleet purchases and elderly buyers, a dwindling market. At the very minimum, Ford should've completely updated the styling, drivetrain, and suspension on these three cars. It could've used a revised 4.0L V6 (3V with DI for starters for about 260 HP) and the Mustang GT's 3V 4.6L V8 as an option. It should've scrapped the 4 speed auto and offered at least the 5 gear auto for the V6 and the 6 gear auto for the V8. The it should've added an IRS plus sleeker styling in and out and this car might've lasted another 8 years.

Ford has had a rock solid RWD fullsize sedan platform with a dedicated customer base….the Panther.

A dedicated customer base? You are kidding, right?

Only two kinds of people buy the panther any longer. 1) Cops, and 2) kids buying old used cop cars. :finger:

Edited by SHERIFF

According to your chart they are rated better than Ford, and that's besides the point, the point is that they figured out how to build a superior RWD car, and Ford can't even for Lincoln. Why can Hyundai build a world class RWD car and Ford can't? I see Buick is rated higher than Lincoln, since that's who Lincoln competes against I guess they loseon that front too... :stirpot:

It's not a matter of "can" and "can't". It's a matter of "will" and "won't". Based on everything we have seen out of the recent vehicles from FoMoCo, if they decided they wanted to build a RWD sedan to compete with the Genesis, it would likely blow its doors off. But seeing as the Genesis is currently selling at a snail's pace, is that really a competitor worth chasing? Ford doesn't seem to think so, and I would tend to agree. The MKS is selling just fine on its own merits, lack of RWD be damned.

And you sure won't find me defending the quality of service at Ford dealerships. But we were talking about Lincoln. Not Ford.

Edited by NickF1011

When Ford and others decided to build a hondota (the original Taurus), they made a smart move. BUT the minute they decided to replace their entire lineup with Japo-clones, they started going downhill. In '85, Ford looked like worldbeaters, by '95 they were totally reliant on trucks and SUV's. Ford has a good Accord competitor already. The Fusion. They would do well to offer something different.

That said, they appear to be going for the Chrysler of the '80's approach. One platform, 30 vehicles. First, I don't think that will float today, when Chrysler did it, the Japanese weren't competitive outside of small cars, and there was no Hyundai. Today their are too many competitors.

Also, I agree, I fail to see the advantage of making so many CUV's. They are dropping the Freestyle fullsize CUV because of the new Flex fullsize CUV, only to introduce an Explorer fullsize CUV. Three CUV's, small medium and large, are plenty. Also, AWD outside of the snow belt becomes a disadvantage if fuel goes up again, and CAFE won't stand for it. People need to discover these things they used to have called snow tires. They are like regular tires, but get better traction in snow. I have a set for the Villager, I bought them in 2000. If you paid today's prices for every year I've had them, two changes, your talking $324. I'd be out about $500 if I had opted for steel wheels instead of mounting them each time, still about 10%-20% of AWD.

At the rate things are going, I hope the Mustangers liked the 80's Daytona, its your future.

Just for the record, I'm almost 38, and love my Panther.

A dedicated customer base? You are kidding, right?

Only two kinds of people buy the panther any longer. 1) Cops, and 2) kids buying old used cop cars. :finger:

Could that have something to do with the limitations Ford has put of the vehicle? Serious, go into a dealership and try and buy a Panther. I did. Instead of the salesman trying to work a deal with me, he tried getting me interested in a Taurus. Great, I wanted a V8 rear wheel drive BoF sedan and instead was given a V6 front wheel drive unibody.

Put the Panthers back on the same level as the D3's and see how dedicated their customer base is.

That said, they appear to be going for the Chrysler of the '80's approach. One platform, 30 vehicles. First, I don't think that will float today, when Chrysler did it, the Japanese weren't competitive outside of small cars, and there was no Hyundai. Today their are too many competitors.

You must not realize how many vehicles Toyota bases on the Camry platform.

You must not realize how many vehicles Toyota bases on the Camry platform.

A list for giggles:

Camry

Avalon

Venza

Highlander

ES350

RX350

And now the D3:

Taurus

Flex

MKS

MKT

Explorer (next gen)

(Why count the Sable and Taurus X? They are both gone after the '09 model year.)

Avalon is done as well.

Do you have a link for me to read? I don't doubt you, I just want to research it myself. The last I read was that the Camry Solara was gone, but Toyota actually felt the need to comment on the fact that both the Avalon and the Lexus SC weren't going anywhere due to the persistent rumors about the 2 vehicles.