RamBox on '09 Ram

DCSpeedster

I've seriously wondered why such an option did not appear decades ago. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Wish Ford would have come up with it. I really can't see any downside to this, except that it slightly eats into bed space, but only in the parts of the bed you really don't use that often anyway, unless you regularly haul mulch or gravel around.

It does eat too much of the bed. Truck buyers who need it for work (I assume that's who this is for) need that bed space. The problem with the boxes is that it doesn't make the bed short (Which can be compensated if you let the gate down), it makes it narrow. Not to mention the boxes would make getting cargo out of the side difficult. However, I think it is a great option if it isn't a work truck...you know, to lock up some shopping bags and for that quick trip to the Aveda store to get that awesome organic shampoo.

I've seriously wondered why such an option did not appear decades ago. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Wish Ford would have come up with it. I really can't see any downside to this, except that it slightly eats into bed space, but only in the parts of the bed you really don't use that often anyway, unless you regularly haul mulch or gravel around.

It does eat too much of the bed. Truck buyers who need it for work (I assume that's who this is for) need that bed space. The problem with the boxes is that it doesn't make the bed short (Which can be compensated if you let the gate down), it makes it narrow. Not to mention the boxes would make getting cargo out of the side difficult. However, I think it is a great option if it isn't a work truck...you know, to lock up some shopping bags and for that quick trip to the Aveda store to get that awesome organic shampoo.

From what I gather, it doesn't make the bed any narrower than it already is. The RamBox only utilizes the space that sits above and around the wheel wells, which is rarely used in truck beds anyway if you are loading things like boxes that can't fill into that area anyway. If the sides are significantly wider and the bed (at its top edge) is actually narrower than it used to be, then yeah, I'll concede you're point, but I'm not sure that's the case.

Sure people use the space, even for boxes. The ability to pack a truck bed correctly is a highly desirable skill on any job site. Plus if you get stuff like gravel, you're gonna need the space.

You can argue the space isn't needed...and it is a legitimate point. However, I think the side reach thing would be a big problem for most people. Another issue I see is lifting a heavy tool box out at that height. I don't know how easy that's going to be. There doesn't appear to be any way to secure the cargo inside and the container isn't flat. That means if you have a heavy tool box sitting on top, it is going to pound into whatever that is in there, and it might end up in some weird position that you'll have to get out. I think the midbox is a much better option in terms of functionality (but doesn't look the best).

From what I gather, it doesn't make the bed any narrower than it already is. The RamBox only utilizes the space that sits above and around the wheel wells, which is rarely used in truck beds anyway if you are loading things like boxes that can't fill into that area anyway. If the sides are significantly wider and the bed (at its top edge) is actually narrower than it used to be, then yeah, I'll concede you're point, but I'm not sure that's the case.

I'll agree, although it really isn't clear, but it does appear that the bed is narrowed down to roughly the width between the wheel wells - which significantly narrows the useful space. For instance, that would eliminate placing anything that is wider than 4 ft - if you still need the length. In many instances, that is a major drawback IMO.

Owning work trucks for 30 years, it is not something that I would want, but I do like the Integrated bed divider/extender. I use an aftermarket one all of the time but that one looks really good. I prefer the utilization of a bed cap as it secures anything that you put in the box (the whole box - just like a SUV), streamlines the aero of the truck, and gives the contents (of the bed) weather protection. Nothing worse than hauling a load of drywall, or some other similar cargo, and then have to drive through a localized rain (or similar weather event) that can ruin your day (a common occurrence in Florida - localized rain storms).

Having a Ram-box, eliminates the use of a cap with the access as it is. Oh, if you're thinking that a cap limits hauling tall cargo, au contraire, I can remove my cap in under 2 minutes when I need to haul something tall (upright) and yet I have had skids of product loaded with a forklift (with the cap on).

So with my (lockable) cap, the use of a bed divider, and varying individual containers and coolers (my big cooler wouldn't even fit in the Dodge except length wise), I can secure and store with as easy access as the Ram-box has.

Okay, so maybe Dodge's implementation isn't superb, but it's still a great idea in my book. It's definitely something I would look for in a half ton, as I wouldn't be regularly hauling around a bed full of crap in my truck if I owned one, but I would likely always want to carry around a few things that could be securely stowed away until needed, such as tow straps, tie-downs, chains, tools, etc.

Whatever happened to the side doors that used to be on some pickups many many moons ago? I think those may have been a better alternative. I just give props to Dodge for reviving the concept. I'd have to see it person to make up my mind though.

I would think this option is tailored more for the recreational pickup user as opposed to the contractor/professional (though I can see them using this as opposed to a front bed box, which also takes away from bed space). Caps are not as prevalent in recreational truck users...and they do offer a bed without the RamBox as well for those that do want caps. I think its a great idea, utlizing space that, for the most part is going unused.

I would think this option is tailored more for the recreational pickup user as opposed to the contractor/professional (though I can see them using this as opposed to a front bed box, which also takes away from bed space). Caps are not as prevalent in recreational truck users...and they do offer a bed without the RamBox as well for those that do want caps. I think its a great idea, utlizing space that, for the most part is going unused.

The salesman I talked to about it said just that. It's not really for the guys who are using their truck for work (gravel, sand, plywood, lumber), but more for the "boys with toys" category. Guys who need trucks to haul around the motorbike, boat, jet skies, campers, etc. Just a place you can store things (tools, straps, extra parts) not inside the cab, or without taking up too much space in the box.

Buddy of mine had a Nissan Titan, and it had a storage container behind the rear wheel. Neat idea, until the latch failed and he lost his hammer, screw drivers and wrenches while going down the highway. Let's just say his Nissan experiment didn't last too long

Neat idea, but not for me.

Remember the Avalanche, Titan and Ridgeline have storage boxes in the bed and haven't really been big sellers.

Like stated before, for those just wanting a truck to haul their tows or to be the person on the block with the biggest truck with all the bells and whistles, that'll work, just like the coil suspension. But for me, I would not want the RamBox or any of the storage bins offered and do not want coils in a truck, no matter how smooth the ride.

Co-worker has a Avalance 2500 8.1L. The storage bins leak and can't put anything in them that can be damaged by water.

Here's a picture of how much space it takes up:

IMGP7795.jpg

It's a good idea but I think a storage box like Ford used to have would be better for my needs. Seems like a cheaper way to add extra storage and profit to unused space. I know Nissan offers this but the storage is behind the rear tire, I'd prefer it be in front of the tire.

side-full-ps.jpg

Now that's what I'm talking about. You could even make that a drawer.

Here's a picture of how much space it takes up:

IMGP7795.jpg

Personally, and this is just one mans opinion, but that does look like a significant amount of space to lose. Sure you get the storage bins, but I'd prefer the added bed volume. To each thier own I guess.

Personally, and this is just one mans opinion, but that does look like a significant amount of space to lose. Sure you get the storage bins, but I'd prefer the added bed volume. To each thier own I guess.

If it were my design, I would have made the boxes less wide. I wouldn't need or want to stow entire toolboxes or coolers in there. Just enough space for some straps and other random truck gear.

It's a good idea but I think a storage box like Ford used to have would be better for my needs. Seems like a cheaper way to add extra storage and profit to unused space. I know Nissan offers this but the storage is behind the rear tire, I'd prefer it be in front of the tire.

side-full-ps.jpg

Ford did have a better idea in the 70s. Also, on the long wheelbase Super Camper Special they had an integral spare tire compartment that was larger. Something like that configured for misc. necessities along with a "tool box size" compartment on the opposite side of the bed.

If it were my design, I would have made the boxes less wide. I wouldn't need or want to stow entire toolboxes or coolers in there. Just enough space for some straps and other random truck gear.

I don't think it'll fit tool boxes/coolers in it's current form anyways

EDIT: nevermind, I guess it'll fit a small toolbox/cooler

2009%20Ram%20Bed%20Storage.jpg

medium_2186269097_ff3beb7365_o.jpg

Edited by rmc523

I can see where you're coming from. For a recreational pickup user, the '09 Ram is the perfect tailgate truck. Up to 240 beers/sodas, room for ice, room for golf clubs, etc... Could be a top selling point for a lot of casual truck drivers.