Dependent Scholarship Program Suspended

FemInstaller

I know that I saw a discussion about ETAP funds in an older thread. I received a letter in the mail yesterday from the UAW-FORD National Programs Center. Here is the jist of it:

Revised Program Guidelines

The Dependent Scholarship Program Will be suspended indefinately effective January 31, 2009.

Scholarship Reimbursement Requests- Reimbursement requests for previous school terms (January 2008 through January 2009) will be accepted through January 31, 2009 provided they meet established program criteria.

I submitted a reimbursement application two days before I received this letter for this winter's term. After reading the above, I highly doubt that it will qualify. I will update as to whether it did once I get notice.

There was no mention as to the suspension of Employee ETAP funds in this letter, perhaps it will come separately.

I know that I saw a discussion about ETAP funds in an older thread. I received a letter in the mail yesterday from the UAW-FORD National Programs Center. Here is the jist of it:

Revised Program Guidelines

The Dependent Scholarship Program Will be suspended indefinately effective January 31, 2009.

Scholarship Reimbursement Requests- Reimbursement requests for previous school terms (January 2008 through January 2009) will be accepted through January 31, 2009 provided they meet established program criteria.

I submitted a reimbursement application two days before I received this letter for this winter's term. After reading the above, I highly doubt that it will qualify. I will update as to whether it did once I get notice.

There was no mention as to the suspension of Employee ETAP funds in this letter, perhaps it will come separately.

suspended canceled= good Ford's in deep financial trouble and your worried about dependant college $$. Ford's and the UAW should worry about Ford's car making business and thats it.....

suspended canceled= good Ford's in deep financial trouble and your worried about dependant college $$. Ford's and the UAW should worry about Ford's car making business and thats it.....

I never made any comment about it one way or the other, please do not put words into my mouth. I was just confirming statements that we put on the board in December. ETAP and the Dependent Scholarship program are a union negotiated benefit. I was more concerned with the UAW Membership being informed as this letter was sent out to those who have used the program in the past, not to every member.

I never made any comment about it one way or the other, please do not put words into my mouth. I was just confirming statements that we put on the board in December. ETAP and the Dependent Scholarship program are a union negotiated benefit. I was more concerned with the UAW Membership being informed as this letter was sent out to those who have used the program in the past, not to every member.

That letter has been out. Should have been posted throughout your plant.

As long as mulally is making his money you will not convince me that ford is in that much trouble. we should not give up shit. Gettlefinger and the negotiating team are letting us down.

That letter has been out. Should have been posted throughout your plant.

Just because that letter was posted at your plant, doesn't mean it was posted at every plant. I work at Rawsonville and never seen it posted. I just received a copy of it in the mail today!

Just because that letter was posted at your plant, doesn't mean it was posted at every plant. I work at Rawsonville and never seen it posted. I just received a copy of it in the mail today!

union reps were handing them out on i believe wednesday.

What is going on in our plant? what is the date they are back to now in the JSP? Do you have any idea? Thanks been in JSP at home for 8 mths now, trying to decide if I will bid on Saline as a loner/temp worker, or wait to see where they will put me if I dont, to clear out the JSP?

What is going on in our plant? what is the date they are back to now in the JSP? Do you have any idea? Thanks been in JSP at home for 8 mths now, trying to decide if I will bid on Saline as a loner/temp worker, or wait to see where they will put me if I dont, to clear out the JSP?

I believe JSP is back to the end of May 98 - June 98. I heard packets will be sent out very soon explaining the options, etc... Unfortunately, I really cannot tell you much. Things are changing daily and any information I share with you may be correct today; however, will more than likely change by tomorrow. It's definitely a wait and see situation. I wish you the best of luck in whatever choice you make!

For now Dependant Assistance and ETAP are officially being suspended as of January 31st, from what I have found out anyone that puts in an App before that date will still be eligible but any apps after Jan 31st will not be considered.

Those that use these benefits definitely will want to get with your local benefits rep to further clarify this.

As long as mulally is making his money you will not convince me that ford is in that much trouble. we should not give up shit. Gettlefinger and the negotiating team are letting us down.

I agree. I'm so disappointed. All the benefits that the seniority workers fought for and gained is going away over nite.

I agree.....and I disagree.

First of all Mullally was lured here by Ford. Why? Because he just finished a major downsizing of the Aerospace industry at Boeing which is also UAW. He downsized, cut, shut down models, etc.....and was very successful at at. The big money they apid him was mostly a buyout of his former Boeing contract that he lost coming here.

My point is that he was lured here when they were in trouble...so he isn't going to take a cut because they are in trouble......that is why he is here...so that would not be the best indicator.

is this just in the US at this point ? (i'm CAW)

i submitted a claim in early Jan but have not received any money yet .....will call the plant next week

I submitted mine on line 1-8-09 it was ready 1-12....Dependent I received same letter as above. (earlier post)

I agree.....and I disagree.

First of all Mullally was lured here by Ford. Why? Because he just finished a major downsizing of the Aerospace industry at Boeing which is also UAW. He downsized, cut, shut down models, etc.....and was very successful at at. The big money they apid him was mostly a buyout of his former Boeing contract that he lost coming here.

My point is that he was lured here when they were in trouble...so he isn't going to take a cut because they are in trouble......that is why he is here...so that would not be the best indicator.

Well so far he has made the right moves i.e. arranging money ahead of time, Kuzak, getting rid of money pits Aston martin + others, bringing Ford Europe and US together.....Things other well paid idiots failed to do, so pay him whatever, just don't come looking at me when his pockets are full. One Ford, one team etc.

I have just received a letter from the Uaw-Ford National Programs Center yesterday. Happened to see it posted on a bulletin board at work late last week. What I thought was a negotiated item is suddenly gone. Does the company decide when they want to suspend a program or is the union involved in any way?

I have just received a letter from the Uaw-Ford National Programs Center yesterday. Happened to see it posted on a bulletin board at work late last week. What I thought was a negotiated item is suddenly gone. Does the company decide when they want to suspend a program or is the union involved in any way?

Yes the Union was involved.

I'm with you on giving nothing up! You guys better wake the f_ck up out there. You better bet the International will do whatever they have to do to keep what they've got!

Edited by CrankOp

I was all ready to spout off about it being only the Dependent Scholarship Program, but had the rare sense to go and check it out.

ETAP and the whole shebang are gone. No mas, neicht, nothing for ya.

This is kind of bullshit as they should have at least kept it up until the Summer semester. That way any employees who would have graduated and count on the money due to OT being gonzo, being on layoff or whatever, could at least get the degree before being cut off.

Maybe they can take it to a one time thing whose continuance is based on GPA. If you are below a 3.0 the cash stops.

I do not know how they are going to get more folks out the door now, if all they have is a degree/resume from a failed auto company.

The building bird houses and how to paint a duck classes on sight I can understand being dropped a few years ago, but this one was a real opportunity for some, and it is a damn shame they dropped it without a peep from anyone before hand.

Edited by Dadzee