Ford Motor Company: January 2009 Sales

Mustang is NOT a necessity car. It's a luxury, a toy, more of a want than a need. That's why the sales are really low. Plus a new one is coming soon...Also rentals are down....To me the Mustang doesn't look sharp anymore. The magic is gone. The new one barely differs, so I am not sure if we'll see 10k/month anytime soon.

Where are the numbers?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mustang is NOT a necessity car. It's a luxury, a toy, more of a want than a need. That's why the sales are really low. Plus a new one is coming soon...Also rentals are down....To me the Mustang doesn't look sharp anymore. The magic is gone. The new one barely differs, so I am not sure if we'll see 10k/month anytime soon.

You are more on the right track here. It's the economy, stupid. Vehicles like the Mustang will thrive in good times, struggle in bad times. It always has. Sales dropped at the end of the 70's/early 80's. They dipped again in the early 90's. They're dipping again now. It just hasn't struggled this poorly for a long time.

Naaah, just realistic. -39% is not dismal? At least they gained retail share AGAIN for the 4th month in a row. :happy feet:

How many cars will we making if this carries on for another 3 years Nick at this rate?

Something like the Volvo's numbers? l bet T-Stang will frame those Volvo numbers on his toilet wall even if they are a bit late.

You can sell low mileage, used 2008 Mustangs for around $14K...Why would consumers buy a new one? It's the same with most New Vehicles...untill the gap between used and new narrows considerably,you will have these kinds of numbers.

Rental companies are not buying,and next year,the used market will go higher....which should help new vehicle sales.

Edited by ironhorse

How many cars will we making if this carries on for another 3 years Nick at this rate?

Something like the Volvo's numbers? l bet T-Stang will frame those Volvo numbers on his toilet wall even if they are a bit late.

If these sorts of numbers carry on for another THREE years, I think the last thing I'll be worried about is how many vehicles Ford is selling.

Whats the 1,646 Crown Vic & 1,705 Taurus playthings didnot do much better?

Ford need to get the Crown Vic in another Blues Brothers movie product placement faaast.

If these sorts of numbers carry on for another THREE years, I think the last thing I'll be worried about is how many vehicles Ford is selling.

Got any branches of Walmart or McDonalds around your way Nick if you lose your job as moderator on BON you would make an excellent customer service rep.

Maybe BON could become an Old Skool Classic Ford website.

That excuse only goes so far though. This is probably the lowest monthly sales for the Mustang in over 20 years.

Fair enough, but with market forces being as they are and a new one around the corner. That's to be expected. Also it has been my understanding that rental agencies absorb quite a few V-6 Mustangs, and with that market being the way that it is this is not a shocker.

Not making excuses, just looking at those figures logically

Edited by Michael Reynolds