CNN--Ford to close 2 plants

fordworker

Can't you read it says that Stoddard expects the automaker which is FORD to shutter plants in Wanye, MI and Kansas City, MO.

Stoddard doesn't have a world view, KC would be the last plant in the system to close. Although Ford would likely make threats of this kind if they were pushing to ratify a BS local agreement, or to cut joint programs. KC is not closing, and neither is Wayne!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I am not mistaken KC is the bigest plant and also has the most available land in the Ford system, making it possible to produce several vehicles at one time. No chance of closing. There would be a better chance of Ford closing other plants and moving work to KC.

The atributes you named are only one side of the issue, the more important is logistics. Look at KC's location, it is in the dead center of the U.S.

Goods can be easily shipped in any direction N,S,E, and W!

Don't be too sure with KC. As of right now, Ford could probably make enough F-150's at Dearborn alone, and the next generation Escape will be built at a revamped Louisville. Don't know what other product is in the pipeline that Ford will allocate for it.

Hopefully they get something. We don't need any more brothers and sisters losing their jobs.

The atributes you named are only one side of the issue, the more important is logistics. Look at KC's location, it is in the dead center of the U.S.

Goods can be easily shipped in any direction N,S,E, and W!

I remember hearing that exact same line of BS about St. Louis Assembly from the day I walked in the door as a new hire until the day they tore the place down. Over TWO decades. From top management to everyone in the union. "SLAP is here FOREVER because we are smack dead in the center of the country."

:finger:

If it didn't work for one plant, it sure as hell isn't gonna work for another.

I highly doubt that Ford would keep a plant running if the product it produces fails to sell because of its logistics... I can see Alan now "Well we cant sell an Escape to save our lives but gosh darn, that plant is in the very MIDDLE of the country! Lets shut down the Rouge instead and keep KC open!! whooo hoo!"

But you keep on believing that if it makes you feel better. I cant see how you might figure that logistics are "more important" than sales of a plant's products. But I'm completely behind you brother, I want KC to stay open forEVER and ever.

I'm going to hate to have to make the decision to go back up to Michigan to finish my career... LONG LIVE KCAP!

:banghead:

Also MANY of us had to listen to all the MAHzdah originals blow out their face how their precious plant would never close either because Mazda workers were so superior to all of the "terrible" Traditional Ford Plants-- you should see all the rats abandon ship now! BY THE HUNDREDS! Mazda Originals all clammering to get into the Ford Facility they so hated just a few short months ago.

It's quite amusing!

:stats:

Let me be the first to wish upon all of you Mazda transferees the same treatment you bestowed on all of us when we arrived at AAI a few years back! Karma's a BITCH!

To anyone that would like to remind me how we are "all in this together" save it! Perhaps you never had the priviledge to work with some of these clowns! You might want to tell it to the wonderful assholes that "opened the doors" as Mazda workers at AAI back in 87.

To all that know what I'm talking about -- I bet youre reporting to a different plant as you're reading this...

CONGRATULATIONS! FREE AT LAST - FREE AT LAST!

:happy feet:

Go back to 05 my friends. Global Insight "expected" ford to close plants and they were right on every one. They hit all 5 assembly plants and Batavia.

Ford is updating LAP for a small SUV. Think about this Ford has to many ass. plants now and there gonna add 2 more. The Explorer will go to Chicago and what will go to LAP? And I think everyone can see whats gonna become of the current Focus plant. With the "new Euro Focus" coming and the Fiesta Ford wont have the sales to operate 2 Focus plants and a Fiesta and an Escape plus a new Euro small SUV.

GM is going to close another pickup plant and they out sold the F150 by over a 130K last year counting the Sierra pickup and the Silverado, you think Ford cant build all the pickups they need at DTP and KTP with 3 shifts then your not thinking straight because they can.

just hope the UAW will get this info and tell us now so when there are opening the seniority guys can transfer from the plants closing in the future.If there gonna give up the GEN then they better get this info.

dont count on kcap loosing the escape gettlefucker hits 65 and manditory retirement and the company can recind any commitements they made funny though the next generation escape or something else has already been run through kc and as the rouge betting they get the f100 ranger replacement after all is said and done, and lousiville gets a small car so we will see only time will tell

Edited by the prisoner

dont count on kcap loosing the escape gettlefucker hits 65 and manditory retirement and the company can recind any commitements they made funny though the next generation escape or something else has already been run through kc and as the rouge betting they get the f100 ranger replacement after all is said and done, and lousiville gets a small car so we will see only time will tell
Do not misunderstand me,I would love to see Gettlefinger go but where is it stated 65 is mandatory retirement?There are people with 50 years senoirity at my plant in Chicago.

I remember hearing that exact same line of BS about St. Louis Assembly from the day I walked in the door as a new hire until the day they tore the place down. Over TWO decades. From top management to everyone in the union. "SLAP is here FOREVER because we are smack dead in the center of the country."

:finger:

If it didn't work for one plant, it sure as hell isn't gonna work for another.

I highly doubt that Ford would keep a plant running if the product it produces fails to sell because of its logistics... I can see Alan now "Well we cant sell an Escape to save our lives but gosh darn, that plant is in the very MIDDLE of the country! Lets shut down the Rouge instead and keep KC open!! whooo hoo!"

But you keep on believing that if it makes you feel better. I cant see how you might figure that logistics are "more important" than sales of a plant's products. But I'm completely behind you brother, I want KC to stay open forEVER and ever.

I'm going to hate to have to make the decision to go back up to Michigan to finish my career... LONG LIVE KCAP!

:banghead:

Also MANY of us had to listen to all the MAHzdah originals blow out their face how their precious plant would never close either because Mazda workers were so superior to all of the "terrible" Traditional Ford Plants-- you should see all the rats abandon ship now! BY THE HUNDREDS! Mazda Originals all clammering to get into the Ford Facility they so hated just a few short months ago.

It's quite amusing!

:stats:

Let me be the first to wish upon all of you Mazda transferees the same treatment you bestowed on all of us when we arrived at AAI a few years back! Karma's a BITCH!

To anyone that would like to remind me how we are "all in this together" save it! Perhaps you never had the priviledge to work with some of these clowns! You might want to tell it to the wonderful assholes that "opened the doors" as Mazda workers at AAI back in 87.

To all that know what I'm talking about -- I bet youre reporting to a different plant as you're reading this...

CONGRATULATIONS! FREE AT LAST - FREE AT LAST!

:happy feet:

When SLAP was open there were 2 centrally located facilities, and on of them is capable of running multiple platforms, not to mention it houses a fuel efficient SUV.. Makes sense to me why SLAP closed! F-150 production could likely leave KC, but it will be one of the very last NA facilities to be shuttered. I'll bet money on it. I really don't have a vested interest in KC, so why would I make the assertion? In fact I was told they were studying KC for the product we thought was coming to OHAP. Time will tell!

Edited by Furious1Auto

When SLAP was open there were 2 centrally located facilities, and on of them is capable of running multiple platforms, not to mention it houses a fuel efficient SUV.. Makes sense to me why SLAP closed! F-150 production could likely leave KC, but it will be one of the very last NA facilities to be shuttered. I'll bet money on it. I really don't have a vested interest in KC, so why would I make the assertion? In fact I was told they were studying KC for the product we thought was coming to OHAP. Time will tell!

Id have to say you could be right about that considering Ohio has the 3rd highest corporate tax in the USA and Missouri's is much lower. Plus the new van is comparable to the f150 in size/frame.

Although Ohio Assembly has the most land of any Ford plant in North America. Ford owns thousands of acres of farm land around the plant thus Ford could turn the plant into a Brazil type site with stamping and parts suppliers on the same grounds if they wanted too.

I see Ford doing this and it wont close it will get the van or something else.

Edited by fordworker

Id have to say you could be right about that considering Ohio has the 3rd highest corporate tax in the USA and Missouri's is much lower. Plus the new van is comparable to the f150 in size/frame.

Although Ohio Assembly has the most land of any Ford plant in North America. Ford owns thousands of acres of farm land around the plant thus Ford could turn the plant into a Brazil type site with stamping and parts suppliers on the same grounds if they wanted too.

I see Ford doing this and it wont close it will get the van or something else.

Because of the fuel instabilities, it would be much better if we could land a smaller fuel efficient vehicle. No one wants a smaller vehicle, but it is obvious that they can control our buying habits by jacking the price of refined fuels! A shame really, they dictate to us what we will buy!

Because of the fuel instabilities, it would be much better if we could land a smaller fuel efficient vehicle. No one wants a smaller vehicle, but it is obvious that they can control our buying habits by jacking the price of refined fuels! A shame really, they dictate to us what we will buy!

Furious, does this mean that people at KC will have the option to go to LAP? If so, when do you think they will start moving them out?

UNTIL Ford Motor announces through a Company spokesman that they are closing a plant anything is possible.Two days before Ford announced that it was closing Wixom,the analyst came out and gave all these reasons why Wixom would stay open.Then WHAM not only Wixom and Atlanta and St.Louis and a couple other.Who knows what criteria the company uses in determining who closes and who stays open?The worse part about going through the closing at Wixom was the total informational,FREEZE-OUT, by the Company.In that situation rumors run wild along with very well thought out analyst opinions.Keep showing up until they run out of money and DO NOT accept the first offer the company gives you!Unless you really like it.At Wixom the holdouts got the best assignments.Of course back then there was a Gen Pool.

Edited by Fatso

Furious, does this mean that people at KC will have the option to go to LAP? If so, when do you think they will start moving them out?

Ford is replacing the Escape with the Ford Kuga from europe. That will go on the c-platform.

The reason people are saying they think it will be built at LAP is that they are being retooled for the c- platform variants.

The new Focus and 7 other vehicles are rumoured to be built off that platform.

Time will tell where everything will be built. Ford has to get through the next 12 to 18 months first.

Some of you have reading comprehension issues. Nowhere in this article or any others has this analyst said Ford is closing plants. He HAS stated that in his opinion, there are a couple plants at risk in the future based on current production volumes and new vehicle platforms going elsewhere.

We now return you to reality.

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansasci....html?ana=yfcpc . seems Stoddard has changed his mind,now he says they are only going to close half of kc.

I would venture to say this has never been in the KC plant. They will not shut down just one side. The plant will either run both or none, it is to big to pay utilities and such for 1 side. The whole plant except the paint dept. and body shop for truck, is under one roof. Also the guy says LAP is being retooled for the c-platform, this may or may not happen they are still building the Explorer for another couple of years. I wouldn't put much stock into anything this guy is speculating. Remember 2011 is 2 years away, unless the economy straightens out, I don't think anyone can predict whats going to happen.

Edited by rn4

I would venture to say this has never been in the KC plant. They will not shut down just one side. The plant will either run both or none, it is to big to pay utilities and such for 1 side. The whole plant except the paint dept. for truck, is under one roof. Also the guy says LAP is being retooled for the c-platform, this may or may not happen they are still building the Explorer for another couple of years. I wouldn't put much stock into anything this guy is speculating. Remember 2011 is 2 years away, unless the economy straightens out, I don't think anyone can predict whats going to happen.

well of course everyone is subject to rumors about anything in the future, but you are incorrect about rc38, from what i can tell he works at lap, as i do , and that is the info we were given by the union, and yes i do believe what our BC has told us, lap will run tentatively till jun 2010 building explorers and then shut down for retooling till approx summer-fall 2011, and start producing c platform vehicles. Yes i know in this economy anything can change and may possibly happen.So as of now this what we LAP have been told by detroit and our level of union

Dont ever think they wont shut down one side of a plant....lorain (local 425) ran 2 sides for 40 yrs. they built the econoline on one side and built the t-bird/cougar on the other when the local would not give in to some of the companys demands they threatened to shut the t-bird side down to make a long story short in 96 they shut down the t-bird/cougar side affecting about 3500 people and contuined running the econoline side for about another ten years before they sent it to avon lake ...and by the way this whole operation was under the same roof also