If you thought nobody would buy Genesis, look at this!

rmc523

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/17/hyundai...images-hit-web/

http://jalopnik.com/5154867/2010-hyundai-e...ne=true&s=i

Here's Hyundai's new Equus sedan, it's a bit larger than the Genesis. Hyundai wants to charge $93-96K for this thing if it comes to the US (at least that's how the exchange numbers work out based on it's Korean price).

I'm sure plenty of BMW/Mercedes/etc. buyers would take a look at it.

I suppose calling the Genesis the "Hyundai Phaeton" was wrong. THIS is the "Hyundai Phaeton"!

I think it's worse....at least VW can be considered near luxury or whatever you wanna call it. Hyundai (in the "traditional" sense) = cheap car (NO OFFENSE TO ANY WHO OWN ONE).

Edited by rmc523

I suppose calling the Genesis the "Hyundai Phaeton" was wrong. THIS is the "Hyundai Phaeton"!

And they're not sure if it's coming to the US either, so Genesis may remain Hyundai's US Phaeton. I'm interested to see how it sells in Korea.

For the record, I did like how the Phaetons looked. I guess people couldn't justify spending $60K+ or whatever it was on a "People's car."

I agree on both comments.

It certainly looks classy enough to me:

vw-phaeton-v12-thumb.jpg

vw%20phaeton.jpg

VW_Phaeton_3.jpg

Although I don't like steering wheels that look like that (horizontal bars for the hub to wheel connection).

And being based on the Bentley Continental Flying Spur definitely helps it's case.

Edited by rmc523

It also has too many buttons and an four spoke steering wheel. A FOUR SPOKE STEERING WHEEL!!!!! :runaway:

:hysterical:

Analogue clocks.....who does that, oh wait....

Interesting that it appears to have the swivelling air vents, like on the XF.

VW_Phaeton_03-1024.jpg

They definitely could've integrated that TV screen/air vents better.

-----

Back to Equus for a second, it doesn't even look all that different from the Genesis either.

Jalopnik said it best:

Looking at it now and seeing the interesting blend of Buick LaCrosse and Lexus LS460 it all starts to make sense.

Definite LaCrosse influence in the rear.

buick-2010-lacrosse-r34-1024x675.jpg

A bit of Maxima in there too (mainly taillights, IMO)

2009.nissan.maxima.rear.view.jpg

Is Hyundai going Chinese on us?

Edited by rmc523

for the love of god!!! it will not sell for 93k it will start under 60k.

the genesis in s. korea starts at about 60k usd. here it starts around 30k.

same basic rule

That may be true, but these points are also true:

1) I was just going by the articles

2) The phrase "nobody would buy it" still applies, IMO

That may be true, but these points are also true:

1) I was just going by the articles

2) The phrase "nobody would buy it" still applies, IMO

idk about people not buying it. a lot of younger professionals feel old driving lexus, so i've heard.

this NEW hyundai luxury could very well be a huge hit. it comes in less expensive than MB, BMW, AUDI.

idk about people not buying it. a lot of younger professionals feel old driving lexus, so i've heard.

this NEW hyundai luxury could very well be a huge hit. it comes in less expensive than MB, BMW, AUDI.

As with the Genesis, the biggest problem with this Equus is the name Hyundai. Get rid of that, and IMO your brand image would go up.

That said, I wouldn't drive a Lexus, except MAYBE the IS. I would prefer a Lincoln (especially w/ EB) over a Lexus anyday. Now being less expensive can play into Hyundai's favor, but I still wouldn't see it doing too well.

-----

I don't think they're differentiated enough on the front:

Hyundai%20Genesis%20Revealed%20in%20Korea%201.jpg

post-28332-1234936807_thumb.jpg

So they lengthen the wheelbase, give it a more power V8, and they wanna charge that much (whether it's $60-93K)? You can ask for a $10K premium from the current $38K Genesis for being a larger Genesis, but this is rediculous. Hyundai hasn't scored big with the Genesis so they need to control themselves on bringing out this, specially in this economy. At that price people, people WANT a name...and Hyundai isn't it.

I love internet quarterbacks. Wait till you've seen more then two crappy pictures of the thing and you hear pricing.........and see if it will even be released in the US.

I prefaced all this with saying "if it comes to the US."

Better pictures may help, but based on those pictures, I don't think it looks like much.

I don't see the correlation with the VW Phaeton. VW has the Audi A8(same car as the phaeton) and that was the problem. Hyundai will not have another car in one of their dealerships competing with their upmarket offerings.

Face it, Hyundai is a SERIOUS force not to be taken lightly.

You're right, instead they will have the $10,000 Accent sitting next to it in the showroom. That's the more serious problem Hyundai needs to address. They need to either dump their low-end offerings entirely and leave it all to Kia or stop trying to sell luxury cars.

I don't see the correlation with the VW Phaeton. VW has the Audi A8(same car as the phaeton) and that was the problem. Hyundai will not have another car in one of their dealerships competing with their upmarket offerings.

Face it, Hyundai is a SERIOUS force not to be taken lightly.

I gotta agree with you ...I don't think the company is a major threat right now ....but give them another 10 years to get things worked out and build up some more credit and I think as long as they undercut the price of competition like they do now, keep their warranty, and improve there customer satisfaction were gonna see some impressive sale's numbers from them. The Genesis is a NICE car for the price especially if you stick with V6, I just think the market for huge boat cars isn't what it used to be ...i could be wrong though.

You're right, instead they will have the $10,000 Accent sitting next to it in the showroom. That's the more serious problem Hyundai needs to address. They need to either dump their low-end offerings entirely and leave it all to Kia or stop trying to sell luxury cars.

I agree....they could also launch a new brand to sell these new luxury cars, but I'm not sure that's the best idea right now.

They have the outlet for it though...dump the cheaper crap at Kia, and keep the more expensive crap at Hyundai. And what kind of a name is "Kia'? Sounds like some Feminine Tampon product. Or the name of the asian child they are pandering off on that "Feed the Children" christian charity commercial.

Thats like Tyshwanda back in high school...gets knocked up at 16 and called her daughter "Celica"...I shouldn't have asked... but did...and yeah she did name it after the car because thats where she got knocked up...Lovely how little "Celica" will share that story with her friends. Hm She should be 16 by now actually...

.....And what kind of a name is "Kia'? Sounds like some Feminine Tampon product. Or the name of the asian child they are pandering off on that "Feed the Children" christian charity commercial.

Thats like Tyshwanda back in high school...gets knocked up at 16 and called her daughter "Celica"...I shouldn't have asked... but did...and yeah she did name it after the car because thats where she got knocked up...Lovely how little "Celica" will share that story with her friends. Hm She should be 16 by now actually...

Funny analysis/story above. :P My wife works at a hospital and says a story made the rounds about a woman naming her child "Placenta" after hearing the word during her child's birth. The woman thought that the name was "...so beautiful sounding". That's probably an urban myth, but falls in the same vein as your story above.

While I'm still getting used to Asian sounding names like Toyota, Hyundai, Mitsubishi, etc. becoming part of our mass/popular culture, and find that "good" Euro/Anglo-sounding names Ford (Irish) and Chevrolet (French) roll more easily off my tongue, it does appear that the name "Kia" has some meaning and history behind it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kia_Motors

According to Kia Motors, the name "Kia" derives from the Sino-Korean words ki ("to come out") and a (which stands for Asia), it is roughly translated as "Arise or come up out of Asia" or "Rising out of Asia".

South Korea's oldest car company, Kia was founded in 1944 as manufacturer of steel tubing and bicycles. In 1952, Kia changed its name from Kyungsung Precision Industry, and later built motorcycles, trucks and cars.

Starting in 1986, in partnership with Ford, Kia produced several Mazda derived vehicles for both domestic sales in South Korea and exports into other countries. These models include the Pride (based on the Mazda 121) and Avella, which were sold in North America and Australasia as the Ford Festiva and Ford Aspire.

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine