Next Generation Mustang

Tico

In 1974 and 1979 and 2005 Ford surprised the industry with big changes to it best known nameplate. I hope Ford has similar things in the works for 2014 or 2015. If you read the forums on the many enthusiast sites and watch the news you know what must be done. The Mustang must get smaller, lighter, more modern, and offer better mileage even in the V8. Yes you must still offer a V8! But that V8 can be smaller and offer 21st century technology. Also you must offer an I4. Especially in a lighter car an I4 could be a best seller! Failure to make these changes will doom the Mustang to the same fate thats seems inevitable for the Challenger and Camaro, to be discontinued yet again. The Mustang must go back to its 1964 roots but in 2015 sheet metal. Small, fast, 2 door RWD with V8 option at a good price!

I hope these types of plans are being executed as I type. An warmed over remake of the 2010 won't do. I hope Ford will respond to the changing times with Mustang as it always has done.

I would like to see the car get a bit smaller, but let's not go too far with it. I think the SN95 proportions were about right. Still, I don't know if that would be possible anymore while still maintaining safety and the better handling the S197 has been able to achieve. How small it can feasibly go will determine whether or not a 4 cylinder will return. It's not like we are going to be seeing large cars suddenly get 4 cylinder engines just because people want 4 cylinder engines. People now demand a modicum of performance from the Mustang, even from the base models. I could very well see a 4 cylinder EcoBoost make its way into the lineup, but any naturally aspirated choice would depend solely on how light they could make it. Unfortunately, I don't think it'll be able to get a whole lot lighter than it already is without making significant sacrifices to the many improvements the S197 has already seen over previous models.

How small it can feasibly go will determine whether or not a 4 cylinder will return. It's not like we are going to be seeing large cars suddenly get 4 cylinder engines just because people want 4 cylinder engines. People now demand a modicum of performance from the Mustang, even from the base models. I could very well see a 4 cylinder EcoBoost make its way into the lineup, but any naturally aspirated choice would depend solely on how light they could make it.

First of all the Mustang was never meant to be a "large car". See Mustang 1964, 1973, 1983, 1993, etc. For comparison: Hyudai Genesis I4 RWD Coupe cofiguration wieghs about 3400, same as V6 Mustang and puts out about 210 HP same as V6 Mustang. So if the Asians can do it why can't Ford have 200+ HP I4? Finally the I4 Genesis costs about $21K same as V6 Mustang. So.... If we start out with words like "don't", "can't" "doubt" then the Asians will continue to eat our lunch!

Come on Ford!!!

Edited by Tico

There is no reason why a future base Mustang couldn't use a 2.0/2.5 EcoBoost I4 making 260/275 hp and maybe even up to 300hp in a SVO version. Then you would have the 3.5V6 EcoBoost making 365 hp and then the Mustang GT V8 making 400+ with of course the SVT making 100 hp more or so. Mustang for 2014 should also be similar to the 1994 in that it maintained Mustang syling cues like the side scoop and tail-lights, but with otherwise modern styling. Make a modern looking Mustang but with some choice Mustang cues. That is what Ford should and can do.

There is no reason why a future base Mustang couldn't use a 2.0/2.5 EcoBoost I4 making 260/275 hp and maybe even up to 300hp in a SVO version. Then you would have the 3.5V6 EcoBoost making 365 hp and then the Mustang GT V8 making 400+ with of course the SVT making 100 hp more or so. Mustang for 2014 should also be similar to the 1994 in that it maintained Mustang syling cues like the side scoop and tail-lights, but with otherwise modern styling. Make a modern looking Mustang but with some choice Mustang cues. That is what Ford should and can do.

im thinking that the next gen mustang, after the 2010 refresh, will include a 4 cyl engine. and im sure it will be alittle smaller than the 197 car of present. i just home they dont make it too much smaller because really enjoy the room in my 2007, and the first time i ever had room for my 6.1 frame. before i close this, i have to say that this mustang is put together really great, with no problems to report. im really proud that its built in america, so my hot is off to the folks who put these together, and to ford as well............post-30148-1238270419_thumb.jpgpost-30148-1238270419_thumb.jpg. thank you :hyper:

I wish that I'd saved the article I read some time ago but it said that one of Mulally's directives was that all models be put on a 3-year refresh/redesign cycle like what existed for so many years previously. For years, all models were either redesigned or refreshed every 3 years. There were still minor annual updates but long term there was a steady evolution to a model's development. Even when a redesigned model was unveiled, it was recognizable as being a Cougar, Ltd, Mark, etc. There were those that complained about the frequent (3 year) design updates as the manufacturer's execution of "planned obsolesence" forcing buyers to trade-in more frequently.

Of course, it's still possible that we won't see the next generation Mustang for another 4-5 years but I'd be surprised with everything that Mulally's doing at Ford. His plans are to make Ford very responsive to trends and changes in the marketplace and make Ford profitable by utilizing global vehicle design teams, global engineering, flexible manufacturing, etc. The Mustang may be the exclusion to the global planning strategy but I think the next generation Mustang is going be another major leap. Why? Look at how much Mulally's accomplished/changed in only two and a half years. We're finally getting the global Fiesta and other models from Europe that were never planned on coming stateside beforehand, new model introductions are better controlled as to timing and quality, Ford model designs are becoming more brand distinctive/identifiable, etc. Ford is distancing itself from the rest of the competition and getting a lot of favorable media coverage which is helping to re-establish the Ford brand and attract a lot of new conquest buyers for the first time in many years. He's regrowing the brand on all levels and building a solid foundation not just for profitability but GROWTH!

No question, I'm a big Mulally fan and very enthusiastic about Ford's future. It's not easy at times at the Dealership level considering the current Market conditions but I'm looking long term at the Company I've supported personally and professionally for well over 30 years!

I wish that I'd saved the article I read some time ago but it said that one of Mulally's directives was that all models be put on a 3-year refresh/redesign cycle like what existed for so many years previously. For years, all models were either redesigned or refreshed every 3 years. There were still minor annual updates but long term there was a steady evolution to a model's development. Even when a redesigned model was unveiled, it was recognizable as being a Cougar, Ltd, Mark, etc. There were those that complained about the frequent (3 year) design updates as the manufacturer's execution of "planned obsolesence" forcing buyers to trade-in more frequently.

Of course, it's still possible that we won't see the next generation Mustang for another 4-5 years but I'd be surprised with everything that Mulally's doing at Ford. His plans are to make Ford very responsive to trends and changes in the marketplace and make Ford profitable by utilizing global vehicle design teams, global engineering, flexible manufacturing, etc. The Mustang may be the exclusion to the global planning strategy but I think the next generation Mustang is going be another major leap. Why? Look at how much Mulally's accomplished/changed in only two and a half years. We're finally getting the global Fiesta and other models from Europe that were never planned on coming stateside beforehand, new model introductions are better controlled as to timing and quality, Ford model designs are becoming more brand distinctive/identifiable, etc. Ford is distancing itself from the rest of the competition and getting a lot of favorable media coverage which is helping to re-establish the Ford brand and attract a lot of new conquest buyers for the first time in many years. He's regrowing the brand on all levels and building a solid foundation not just for profitability but GROWTH!

No question, I'm a big Mulally fan and very enthusiastic about Ford's future. It's not easy at times at the Dealership level considering the current Market conditions but I'm looking long term at the Company I've supported personally and professionally for well over 30 years!

The MKZ has been on a 1.5 year cycle. :reading: :drop:

MUSTANG III

If they use the name: I want compensation

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/16/ford-pl...-model-by-2013/

all ford products including the f-150 and super duties will get 4 cylinder engines as the top dog engine. The lesser engine will be the optional engine billed as a fuel saver model

also i like the mustang iii name and the bronco iii name as well.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/16/ford-pl...-model-by-2013/

all ford products including the f-150 and super duties will get 4 cylinder engines as the top dog engine. The lesser engine will be the optional engine billed as a fuel saver model

also i like the mustang iii name and the bronco iii name as well.

Um, no. Try reading the article a little closer, next time.

And, Critic, shouldn't that be Mustang IV? I.e., Mustang II, II? :P :D

i think the reason why this may not happen with the mustang is that fall 2010 it (rumored) will get the 5.0V8 and 3.5V6 with 6 speed tranny's that might count for them to hold it over a couple more years to amortize whatever costs they put into the modifications and some of the new engine costs.

I want to massively compliment the new interior --- so amazing

Compare

'05: http://www.seriouswheels.com/2005/2005-For...sh-1280x960.htm

'10: http://jalopnik.com/photogallery/LA08MustangGTInt/1004669651

I agree- the 010 interior looks great, even better in person...something about the steering wheel, just a couple extra buttons compared to the 05(which I thought was a great packaging for a airbag equipped wheel in its own right), but it now looks 'perfect' to me. Attaboys deserved by the interior guys and gals for sure.

I wish ford luck on the 010, but personally have no nice things to say about the rearend- seeing it made me run right out and buy one, a 09 that I didnt need...I'd love to hear Hau Tai-Tang's (unofficial) opinion on the 'new' rear bumper they put on his design...wouldnt doubt he's got a 05-09 stashed away too :)

First of all the Mustang was never meant to be a "large car". See Mustang 1964, 1973, 1983, 1993, etc. For comparison: Hyudai Genesis I4 RWD Coupe cofiguration wieghs about 3400, same as V6 Mustang and puts out about 210 HP same as V6 Mustang. So if the Asians can do it why can't Ford have 200+ HP I4? Finally the I4 Genesis costs about $21K same as V6 Mustang. So.... If we start out with words like "don't", "can't" "doubt" then the Asians will continue to eat our lunch!

Come on Ford!!!

The Mustang still is not a "large car". It is classified by the EPA as a subcompact. It is physically larger than the SN95's, but really doesn't weigh too much more. How small are you proposing they go? Pack the same amount of safety and creature comforts into a Mustang with the same exterior dimensions as a first gen Mustang and you'd have a seriously cramped car.

And if you'll notice in my first post, what did I say about the 4 cylinders? I said sure, if it had a turbo. What does the I4 in the Genesis have? A turbo. I'd be fine with that.

The Mustang still is not a "large car". It is classified by the EPA as a subcompact. It is physically larger than the SN95's, but really doesn't weigh too much more. How small are you proposing they go? Pack the same amount of safety and creature comforts into a Mustang with the same exterior dimensions as a first gen Mustang and you'd have a seriously cramped car.

And if you'll notice in my first post, what did I say about the 4 cylinders? I said sure, if it had a turbo. What does the I4 in the Genesis have? A turbo. I'd be fine with that.

+1

I'm still OK with it if an EB I-4 is put in permanently as the base engine., replacing the V-6 altogether. Make the base trim level SVO.

The one thing I am NOT, under ANY circumstances, OK with is not having an affordable V-8 version of the car.

+1

I'm still OK with it if an EB I-4 is put in permanently as the base engine., replacing the V-6 altogether. Make the base trim level SVO.

The one thing I am NOT, under ANY circumstances, OK with is not having an affordable V-8 version of the car.

define "affordable"

define "affordable"

I'd say we're pretty much at the ceiling now for the GT's entry price. I actually never thought I'd see a fully loaded GT coupe surpass $35k, but it can be done. I hope they don't jack the price up with the introduction of the 5.0-liter, that'll put it too high up for a lot of folks. I know the prime competition is just as $$, but bang-for-buck has been a Mustang calling card for years. And look at how much the price crept up during the 2005-2009 model years.

One thing that has worried me has been the thought that Ford will introduce the EB V-6 and put it at the price range of the GT. Then, after we get the 5.0-liter, they raise the price on access to a Mustang with an 8-cylinder.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it: The EB V-6 may be just as good a performer as the V-8, but there are MANY people who care WHAT makes the power under those hoods. Pricing the V-8 GT out of the mainstream would be a BIG mistake.

Edited by OHV 16V

I'd say we're pretty much at the ceiling now for the GT's entry price. I actually never thought I'd see a fully loaded GT coupe surpass $35k, but it can be done. I hope they don't jack the price up with the introduction of the 5.0-liter, that'll put it too high up for a lot of folks. I know the prime competition is just as $$, but bang-for-buck has been a Mustang calling card for years. And look at how much the price crept up during the 2005-2009 model years.

One thing that has worried me has been the thought that Ford will introduce the EB V-6 and put it at the price range of the GT. Then, after we get the 5.0-liter, they raise the price on access to a Mustang with an 8-cylinder.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it: The EB V-6 may be just as good a performer as the V-8, but there are MANY people who care WHAT makes the power under those hoods. Pricing the V-8 GT out of the mainstream would be a BIG mistake.

It's not just V8 Mustang prices that have increased. The price of EVERYTHING has increased. When you never though a GT coupe could surpass $35K, did you ever think a Toyota Camry would do the same?

It's not just V8 Mustang prices that have increased. The price of EVERYTHING has increased. When you never though a GT coupe could surpass $35K, did you ever think a Toyota Camry would do the same?

True, but those are V-6 loaded models. Meanwhile, the majority of Camry owners are perfectly content to get the 4-cylinder. Most of them don't aspire to own the V-6/loaded model.

Now, with Mustangs, while it's true that the V-6 dominates the product mix, it's no secret that most folks aspire to own the GT. (Particularly males)

The reason it's imperative that GTs remain affordable is because the Mustang is a performance car, so it's a passionate purchase, not just some family sedan.

The "performance/dollar value" plays an important role here because it makes the difference between "dreaming" of owning a fast car (Ferrari), and knowing that if you work you can actually afford to obtain a fast car (Stang).

I really believe they're near the ceiling on the GTs pricing, I hope they refrain from raising the price with the introduction of the 5.0-liter.

And you're right... I never thought I'd see the day when the damn Camry could hit $35K either...

Edited by OHV 16V

True, but those are V-6 loaded models. Meanwhile, the majority of Camry owners are perfectly content to get the 4-cylinder. Most of them don't aspire to own the V-6/loaded model.

Now, with Mustangs, while it's true that the V-6 dominates the product mix, it's no secret that most folks aspire to own the GT. (Particularly males)

The reason it's imperative that GTs remain affordable is because the Mustang is a performance car, so it's a passionate purchase, not just some family sedan.

The "performance/dollar value" plays an important role here because it makes the difference between "dreaming" of owning a fast car (Ferrari), and knowing that if you work you can actually afford to obtain a fast car (Stang).

I really believe they're near the ceiling on the GTs pricing, I hope they refrain from raising the price with the introduction of the 5.0-liter.

And you're right... I never thought I'd see the day when the damn Camry could hit $35K either...

The question to ask really isn't whether the price is going up, but whether the car is still affordable. Prices are bound to increase. That's just how inflation works. But does that price remain balanced with income and cost of living? I'd say it has still remained relatively close.

...I'd say it has still remained relatively close.

I agree to a point. This seems to me to be the dividing line though. The car is gonna go up a little MY after MY, that's a given. I just think any more major hikes, including even the next generation, will be a mistake because right now the wages aren't matching the price increases.

By the way.... A little off-topic, but have you gotten yours out yet this year? I'm waiting til May cuz it's gonna snow a little even tonight yet. (I live in Northeastern Ohio).

Which means you should be getting this crap by Wed. or Thurs. :banghead:

Edited by OHV 16V

I agree to a point. This seems to me to be the dividing line though. The car is gonna go up a little MY after MY, that's a given. I just think any more major hikes, including even the next generation, will be a mistake because right now the wages aren't matching the price increases.

I get what you are saying. It is definitely approaching the point of no return on the V8 pricing. It has to be difficult to keep the pricing in line on such a vehicle these days.