305 HP Ford Focus RS Coming To America?

From JALOPNIK

http://jalopnik.com/5200370/305-hp-ford-fo...ming-to-america

Automotive News claims Hermann Salenbauch, Ford's advanced product creation and global performance director told them Ford is looking for "feedback from the media and customers...how much do they like it? Is it really what they want? We are pretty confident that it is." We know we feel pretty confident it is. So say we all? If we do, say your piece right now — show Ford the positive feedback they so desperately desire.

Yes, please.

I thought the Mazda speed3 was mid to high $20k. I think most Americans wouldn't understand what the RS is and would run if the price was high 20's. Chevy's Cobalt SS is pretty bad ass but you don't hear much about it either.

What does it sell for in Europe? If Ford can sell it here at >30k and make money on it I say Bring it On. Too much more then $30k and I think you are looking at a problem with the American market for the Focus. Anyone know what the Mazda3 tops out at?

^^I agree Mark.

Mazdaspeed 3 with kitchen sink should still be under $30k, but I haven't checked in awhile.

Has anyone else noticed how the new versions (or "rally-car versions") of the Impreza WRX STi and Lancer Evo X have crested past the $40k mark? Ridiculous!

I don't see that much interest in the US other than the highschool/college crowd who do not have the money to buy this car nor the money to insure it. I seriously doubt it can be less than $30K when a loaded Focus is already getting into the mid-$20K range. With Fiesta due to slot under the Focus, it means Focus have to go up market slightly.

I just don't think anyone that can afford it will actually buy it.

What does it sell for in Europe? If Ford can sell it here at >30k and make money on it I say Bring it On. Too much more then $30k and I think you are looking at a problem with the American market for the Focus. Anyone know what the Mazda3 tops out at?

The RS is usually a "farewell" model for the outgoing generation, and more of an Evo-X competitor.

This sounds more like testing the waters for a really agressive looking, next-gen Focus ST, with similar HP.

Edited by pcsario

The RS is usually a "farewell" model for the outgoing generation, and more of an Evo-X competitor.

This sounds more like testing the waters for a really agressive looking, next-gen Focus ST, with similar HP.

I wouldn't have any issue with a Focus ST with 305hp. As to price it wouldn't matter as much if the RS was a limited production "aspirational" model as long as Ford has something a little less agressive at a much lower price to sell alonmgside. Like the GT 500/Mustang GT, lots of people may look at the GT 500 and dream, but drive home in a GT or even a V6.

Yes, I would see the RS as not being available even on the next gen Euro model when it goes on sale here in the U.S. May have to wait awhile in both markets for it.

BTW -- really grown-up of you to put your rant in your 4-page signature. :rolleyes:

AFAIK, there have been no real road-tests of it, and it has yet to do the 'Ring at full hp. The point is, if it turns out to be as quick as we expect, $30K might not be that outrageous.

when you consider a loaded Cooper S is now SOUTH of 31k w 100hp less I would think there would be a lineup of players....

toughen up or move to california....HAH! we spit in the direction of your Ice!....and the Coopers are also FWD only.....
Evidently I'm the only driver here who likes to slide my tail cliffside. I guess if you're not into rally racing, it doesn't matter. I guess I'll just buy an Evo like everyone else :banghead:

Remember, they are just looking for feedback on the idea. The production car might get a 280 hp 2.0L Ecoboost. A little short on power, but the low end torque makes up for it.

I have recently driven a VW 5 cylinder. I am sure the Volvo engine is better. But boy was the VW engine rough. It did not sound good at all. The only thing was that it did not have that annoying 4 cylinder hum. It had a 5 cylinder buzz instead. I now see no value for the 5 cylinder at all.

Remember, they are just looking for feedback on the idea. The production car might get a 280 hp 2.0L Ecoboost. A little short on power, but the low end torque makes up for it.
Speaking of which, are there any confirmed numbers on exactly how more power and torque the 2.0L EB produces?

Performance wise this seems to be a notch above the Fusion Sport which would seem to be a bit of a dilemma for Ford. Can they convince buyers to pay more for what some might see as less? As much as I like the Focus RS it would probably make more sense to offer the 3.5 EB in an AWD SVT Fusion and leave the RS for the Euro enthusiasts who can better relate to its WRS roots. Kind of like comparing the old Merkur XR4TI to a Thunderbird Turbo Coupe of the same era.