Pontiac's death - the GM backlash?

You must remember, it's just like the military and within the plants it's called the chain of command. You may believe the workers have ultimate authority to determine if that vehicle leaves the plant as good as it can be, but that is far from the truth.

I have not singled out the UAW for criticism...and I understand that workers can only assemble the parts that they are provided, and have a limited amount of time to make them fit. Given this scenario, it seems to me that both workers and management need to work together to produce a competitive product. Instead of sitting around playing the "blame game," maybe both need to remember that they are ultimately working for the CUSTOMER, and if the customer takes his or her money elsewhere, they both will suffer.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The backlash against Obama Motors might get real very quickly with these sorts of ideas; note, this source is from a blog with about 400,000 page views/day.

No one was rushing to buy Chrysler or GM products BEFORE the bailout...that is part of the reason why they needed a bailout in the first place (the other being that they were and are poorly run companies).

If the government has to keep pouring money into these companies to keep them afloat, it won't just be a bunch of disgruntled libertarians expressing opposition to the bailout. A majority of Americans already oppose this bailout...and they will eventually say, "Enough is enough".

The backlash against Obama Motors might get real very quickly with these sorts of ideas; note, this source is from a blog with about 400,000 page views/day.

There is a problem here.

IT's YOU! Everything thread your going into you have to make it a political point. Now quite obviously you have a problem with Obama. But I'm going to ask just one time, that you take your politics OUT of the Auto discussions in a thread.

Your doing nothing but spamming a thread with your political points. This is the same thing as going into a discussion and spamming religion. No difference.

And for each political thread you make, I'll use the report button until the moderators get tired of overlooking what your doing.

There is a problem here.

IT's YOU! Everything thread your going into you have to make it a political point. Now quite obviously you have a problem with Obama. But I'm going to ask just one time, that you take your politics OUT of the Auto discussions in a thread.

Your doing nothing but spamming a thread with your political points. This is the same thing as going into a discussion and spamming religion. No difference.

And for each political thread you make, I'll use the report button until the moderators get tired of overlooking what your doing.

Agree on the politcal off-topic rantings. But pleeeeeeeeeease don't report everything. I get enough e-mail every day already. :hysterical:

Any more political railings (from either side) and this thread is closed.

I understand they are keeping the GMC brand? Why?! The whole GMC line-up is a duplication of another division's vehicles! Maybe they can't bare to get rid of the letters GMC because it stands for the company name? Keep Pontiac! It's the only exciting division in GM! They're only keeping Buick because it's recognized in China! Keep making Buicks in China! Drop Buick here! Keep Pontiac! Or at least make just one Pontiac model in some GM plant! How hard is that to do?

Edited by Joe771476

While I am glad you are pondering a Ford product, seeing as you are, why would you not consider Chevrolet or Buick as a choice other than Pontiac? Just a curiosity here....and if you buy a FoMoCo product, me and my stock portfolio thank you.

The biggest reason I am looking outside of GM for my next car is that outside of Pontiac GM doesn't make much that I am attracted to or that suits my needs. (The Fusion might not meet my needs either...I haven't sat in one yet). I am looking for something roomier than my Malibu. Chevy has the Impala, which is much to boring for me and the Traverse which is too large and out of my price range. Buicks for the most part are out of my price range...if I buy used I would consider a Lucerne. If I were to get a truck I would consider a GMC, but lean towards an F150 due to the good experience I had with my previous F150.

I might wait for the new Taurus because I really like the look of those. Have prices been released for them yet? Hopefully it isn't out of my price range like the G8 currently is.

I might wait for the new Taurus because I really like the look of those. Have prices been released for them yet? Hopefully it isn't out of my price range like the G8 currently is.
Start at about $25,000

Of all the Fords now or soon to come out, the one that returns the favor and turns me on is the Taurus. Maybe it's just the powerhood, but now it looks like a man's car.

Whatya say Pioneer, should we double-team him for the sale? You got another x-pin you could hold for him?

Edited by Critic

Sounds good...I may wait for the Taurus. I have no immediate need to buy now, my Malibu is doing just fine, I'm just tired of it and ready for something new.

Same boat I'm in with my Mazda. Unfortunately, "I'm tired of it" isn't really enough reason for me to justify another $30,000+ purchase.

No one was rushing to buy Chrysler or GM products BEFORE the bailout...that is part of the reason why they needed a bailout in the first place (the other being that they were and are poorly run companies).

If the government has to keep pouring money into these companies to keep them afloat, it won't just be a bunch of disgruntled libertarians expressing opposition to the bailout. A majority of Americans already oppose this bailout...and they will eventually say, "Enough is enough".

No. GM was selling the SAME number of cars Toyota was selling, MORE in most instances. The problem was GM was losing money on each car they sold. Still, I find it hilarious that people are blaming most of this mess on Obama. :hysterical:

No. GM was selling the SAME number of cars Toyota was selling, MORE in most instances. The problem was GM was losing money on each car they sold.

The little "problem" is why they are facing bankruptcy.

They were "selling" vehicles by giving them away or dumping them on fleet customers. Toyota could do the same thing - say, cut prices 50 percent - and watch sales zoom. But then it would be at death's door, too.

Sales without profits are meaningless - except in Detroit and among its fanboys, where logic and basic business principles were apparently tossed out the window years ago.

Still, I find it hilarious that people are blaming most of this mess on Obama. :hysterical:

No more hilarious than blaming it on Bush or Congressional Republicans who opposed the bailout. Last time I checked, they weren't running GM or Chrysler, but one wouldn't have guessed that based on comments on this board around, say, December 2008.

Sales without profits are meaningless - except in Detroit and among its fanboys, where logic and basic business principles were apparently tossed out the window years ago.

Ever heard the phrase "We lose money on each unit we sell but we'll make it up with volume"? That appears to be the current GM philosophy.

Ever heard the phrase "We lose money on each unit we sell but we'll make it up with volume"? That appears to be the current GM philosophy.

We're totally lost...But we're way ahead of schedule.

Always remember and never forget, where ever you go, there you are.

Edited by Mark B. Morrow

"Make up in volume"

Well, there is 0 volume now, what to do?

Pontiac fans are crying, and saying "remember the GTO, TA, ..." But, what helped then was their bread and butter cars, Catalina, Bonne, LeMans, GP, etc. But, now, they dont have anything to sell in volume to back up the G8 and Solstace. And, they cant afford the marketing, engineering, and design $$$ to have another full line make at same price point as Chevy.

Some will say 'well I want someting exciting'. What is so exciting about cladding and badges? As if anyone cares about that anymore? In the 50s and 60s suburbs, people were judged by the what GM brand they had, but now? Pfffft! :P