Saw a 2010 Mustang in NYC

The same day I saw that Fiat 500 Abarth, I also saw a new 2010 Mustang. I was driving up the Van Wyck towards the Whitestone and saw a white 2010 Mustang. It was one lane over and a few cars up. What gave it away (besides being a Mustang)? The new rear end. I sped up so we could take a look at it (wife and I...and my 2 year old son, but I don't think he was paying attention).

Side profile. Best looking Mustang in the past 20 years easily. The haunches did alot to take away from the height of the car and it just looks planted and not as tall. MEAN from the side. Visually, the car does look smaller. All of the design work they did to make the mass look smaller worked.

Rear End. This is the car's weakest point. I did not care for it. My wife (the most non-car person alive) said it reminded her of a foreign car. I agree with that remark. It is such a departure from the rest of the car and does not feel like a Mustang. It doesn't look horrible, but I think it could have been better.

Front End. Slick. Again, much better then photographs make it look. Has more of an eyebrow look then the previous Mustang, a little meaner. (the photos made it look softer, but in person it has the opposite effect.)

All in all, a solid refresh. 8 out of 10. Curious to see where they go from here with the next gen (styling wise).

The same day I saw that Fiat 500 Abarth, I also saw a new 2010 Mustang. I was driving up the Van Wyck towards the Whitestone and saw a white 2010 Mustang. It was one lane over and a few cars up. What gave it away (besides being a Mustang)? The new rear end. I sped up so we could take a look at it (wife and I...and my 2 year old son, but I don't think he was paying attention).

Side profile. Best looking Mustang in the past 20 years easily. The haunches did alot to take away from the height of the car and it just looks planted and not as tall. MEAN from the side. Visually, the car does look smaller. All of the design work they did to make the mass look smaller worked.

Rear End. This is the car's weakest point. I did not care for it. My wife (the most non-car person alive) said it reminded her of a foreign car. I agree with that remark. It is such a departure from the rest of the car and does not feel like a Mustang. It doesn't look horrible, but I think it could have been better.

Front End. Slick. Again, much better then photographs make it look. Has more of an eyebrow look then the previous Mustang, a little meaner. (the photos made it look softer, but in person it has the opposite effect.)

All in all, a solid refresh. 8 out of 10. Curious to see where they go from here with the next gen (styling wise).

Just basing an opinion on photos, I think you are right in your assessment. I really like the redesign, especially the hood. However, I think the rear end is the weakest part of the design. It looks "pinched". I really prefer the 2009's and earlier in their rearend design. Other than that it looks fine.

While I would prefer the Mustang if I were actually buying one, the new Camaro is really a better overall design (exterior) in my opinion. The downside of the Camaro is the weight. Challenger also is too heavy. When looking at the overall package, I think the Mustang is the one most likely to succeed.

For me, it would be a toss up between the Mustang and the Challenger. I tend toward larger cars, so the Challenger edges out a bit (I don't care if it is slower as I'm not looking for any streetlight wars). I've owned 5 Mustangs so it might be time to try something different. Chrysler may make the decision of getting a Mustang for me though.

While I would prefer the Mustang if I were actually buying one, the new Camaro is really a better overall design (exterior) in my opinion. The downside of the Camaro is the weight. Challenger also is too heavy. When looking at the overall package, I think the Mustang is the one most likely to succeed.

Must disagree with your exterior design statement. Personally being a former '69 Camaro owner, the new Camaro is repulsive. Every aspect of this car, which was mimiced after the '69, is way overdone. Saw one in person just yesterday here in Denver (92nd & Pecos). Compared to the Callenger, which I've seen quite a few of, and the '09 & prior Stang, the new Camaro looks clownish and has a Hot Wheels spin on it. But then again, we all are entitled to our opinions. You like, I very much dislike, but to each their own.

Edited by V8-X

Must disagree with your exterior design statement. Personally being a former '69 Camaro owner, the new Camaro is repulsive. Every aspect of this car, which was mimiced after the '69, is way overdone. Saw one in person just yesterday here in Denver (92nd & Pecos). Compared to the Callenger, which I've seen quite a few of, and the '09 & prior Stang, the new Camaro looks clownish and has a Hot Wheels spin on it. But then again, we all are entitled to our opinions. You like, I very much dislike, but to each their own.

Got agree with you 100% the 69 Camaro was awesome.

83595-main_Full.jpg

New Camaro reminds me of

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Before you judge the new '10 Mustang..go look at one at a dealership...then drive one!

Saturday I drove a GT with the track pack and I must say its definitely the best Mustang I've ever driven.. Now I've ever never driven a terminator or a Cobra R,but out of any other year Cobra,Mach 1,GT, or even fox body, that 2010 was a much better car. The interior is much better than the '05-'09 models, and it is much quieter too...When you stomp the gas though, you can hear it loud and clear with that new pipe that routes some of the sound into the cabin..

As far as the looks, I was never a fan of the new rear end shape of it, but i thought it looked pretty good in person. Overall though, the hood looks best in person by far..especially with that hood scoop too.

Like I said, before you judge it, drive it...it really is the best Mustang to date..guaranteed.

Before you judge the new '10 Mustang..go look at one at a dealership...then drive one!

Gotta say l would be first in a very loooooooooooooog queue to test drive it if Ford ever sold it in the UK, but a boring dull Mundane is as good as it gets in the UK.

Whatever happed to Mulally's Global cars dream?

I've seen three 2010 Mustangs: Grabber Blue (that was what got my attention in the first place), DK Blue metallic (Ink?), and DK Red metallic. The rear is growing on me, but objectively I'll never like it.

I actually like the Challenger's chunky styling....it's honest (seen a few on the street). I hate the Camaro's fat ass and cheesy interior (not seen on the street, only at the LA car show).

I'll just keep my 05 Mustang GT.....thanks!

Gotta say l would be first in a very loooooooooooooog queue to test drive it if Ford ever sold it in the UK, but a boring dull Mundane is as good as it gets in the UK.

Whatever happed to Mulally's Global cars dream?

Dude, don't you know it's OUR job to complain about the Fords we don't get in our country?

Saturday I drove a GT with the track pack and I must say its definitely the best Mustang I've ever driven..

The Track Pack isn't available yet, so the one you drove will only get better if you check that box later this year.

I wasn't a huge fan of the rear end in the pictures, and seeing it briefly at odd angles during the autoshow. Now that I have one in the showroom and have been seeing it for two days, I'm just fine with it. One thing about the rear end that's never mentioned is the fact that it's becoming a shared design cue for all Fords. Look at the rear of the 2010 Taurus and compare it. I kinda like the shared design elements if they're done right. Just please, no chrome three bar grill on the Stang!!!

The Track Pack isn't available yet, so the one you drove will only get better if you check that box later this year.

I wasn't a huge fan of the rear end in the pictures, and seeing it briefly at odd angles during the autoshow. Now that I have one in the showroom and have been seeing it for two days, I'm just fine with it. One thing about the rear end that's never mentioned is the fact that it's becoming a shared design cue for all Fords. Look at the rear of the 2010 Taurus and compare it. I kinda like the shared design elements if they're done right. Just please, no chrome three bar grill on the Stang!!!

We had a black GT vert in our plant for most of the day. I agree with you. The rear is not bad at all in person. Which was my complaint with the design. There was a '10 Taurus at our plant last week, And I agree 100% your thoughts about it.

I've seen three 2010 Mustangs: Grabber Blue (that was what got my attention in the first place), DK Blue metallic (Ink?), and DK Red metallic. The rear is growing on me, but objectively I'll never like it.

I actually like the Challenger's chunky styling....it's honest (seen a few on the street). I hate the Camaro's fat ass and cheesy interior (not seen on the street, only at the LA car show).

I'll just keep my 05 Mustang GT.....thanks!

I've seen 4 '10 Mustangs in the past 3 days (all V6s). LOVE the sequential turn signals!!

And it's Kona Blue, not Ink......the Mustang I saw today was that color.

I've seen 4 '10 Mustangs in the past 3 days (all V6s). LOVE the sequential turn signals!!

And it's Kona Blue, not Ink......the Mustang I saw today was that color.

The Kona Blue in person is stunning. It's got a touch of violet in it that really highlights some important lines on the car, namely the "hips" and the hood. Think of a really dark Sonic Blue. I think it's my new favorite Ford color.

Also, I didn't care for the crease on the rear quarter panel in the pics, but in person, it's great. It really looks like they had to stretch the wheel wells to fit the tires under the car. It works well in person.

One detail that I noticed that hasn't been pointed out anywhere is on the sun visor. The vanity mirror cover is a miniature replica of the hood, complete with powerdome and all. There are quite a few tiny details like this all over the car. I think it's safe to say that the Stang has about the nicest interior of any Ford vehicle, especially in premium trim.

And I haven't seen the premier trim upgrade yet...

One detail that I noticed that hasn't been pointed out anywhere is on the sun visor. The vanity mirror cover is a miniature replica of the hood, complete with powerdome and all. There are quite a few tiny details like this all over the car. I think it's safe to say that the Stang has about the nicest interior of any Ford vehicle, especially in premium trim.

Damn, I missed that! Who would of thunk it, "Hey check out this vanity mirror cover!' :banghead:

Hmm..salesman told me that car had the track pack..I did see on the sticker that it had the 3.73 rear end gears though. Either way it was pretty sweet..and yea, the one I drove was Kona Blue too..

I thought it was nice, but I liked the Grabber Blue a little better. Of course when I get one it will be in none other than Torch Red.

The Kona Blue in person is stunning. It's got a touch of violet in it that really highlights some important lines on the car, namely the "hips" and the hood. Think of a really dark Sonic Blue. I think it's my new favorite Ford color.

Also, I didn't care for the crease on the rear quarter panel in the pics, but in person, it's great. It really looks like they had to stretch the wheel wells to fit the tires under the car. It works well in person.

Yeah, I only saw the Kona blue for a minute (if that) before it turned (it was going the other way too), so I'll hopefully get to see it better when my dealer gets more in.

I'll have to keep an eye out for the sun visor detail when I go test drive one.

I have been seeing a bunch of "M" plate stangs around.. I think it looks much better in real life than it did in pictures. I like the rear end now that I have seen the real car. I think the rear of the 05-09 was horrible, big boring taillights and a big shapeless bumper it looked fat and bloated... now with the "pinched" look it looks a little sleaker with more character

I have been seeing a bunch of "M" plate stangs around.. I think it looks much better in real life than it did in pictures. I like the rear end now that I have seen the real car. I think the rear of the 05-09 was horrible, big boring taillights and a big shapeless bumper it looked fat and bloated... now with the "pinched" look it looks a little sleaker with more character

From someone who owns a 2008, and had a 2006 before that, I agree. Baby got back... and not in a good way.

I think the rear of the 05-09 was horrible, big boring taillights and a big shapeless bumper it looked fat and bloated... now with the "pinched" look it looks a little sleaker with more character

I didn't think it was horrible at the time, but now seeing the new model, it's rear pales in comparison.

Which is kinda the point of redesigning the thing......to improve it and make it look better (usually that's how it works, anyway.....some vehicles don't do that.....cough cough Acura TL cough).

Edited by rmc523

I smoked some Kona Blue in the 70's and it kicked me back to the 60's, man.

Girl across the street has a Acapulco Gold Mustang, She rocks!

There was NO such color back in Ford's palate of colors. It was either Acapulco Blue, or one of several Golds, Sunlit, Champagne, or Lime Gold. That stuff must have done a number on you buddy.