This is gonna hurt-broken Jeep

156n3rd

Front bumper valence is busted up. Makes me wonder if something else is going on besides just a front wheel issue. I'm thinking sudden impact issue...

+3

When looking at that side picture, I saw the hood was slightly misaligned, but then thought it could just be Chrysler quality. Then I saw the front.

Judging by the bumper damage, I'd say it took a pretty good whack!

My Cobra was run into once in a parking lot while it was parked. Didn't do any damage except to the bumper, or at least I thought until I walked around the other side. One of the rear wheels was pushed into the curb, which broke the wheel, the hub, the brake rotor, the caliper bracket, the axle, the axle housing, and the differential. I didn't pay a dime, but the insurance estimate ended up being somewhere in the range of $4500 when all was said and done.

Wheels are pretty fragile things when they are hit from the side. They are only designed for vertical travel, not side-to-side.

this could also be a case of a bad driver that beats the snot out of his truck

self inflicted suspension damage from driving over curbs and such

That wouldn't explain the rather severe front end damage, unless the driver was in the habit of driving over mailboxes as well.

That wouldn't explain the rather severe front end damage, unless the driver was in the habit of driving over mailboxes as well.

the two could be independant events. Again, going back to someone that bags on his/her truck

Look at my sig. I had a Jeep once upon a time. I ran over plenty of things in it. Mailboxes weren't amongst them though. :lol:

curious Nick, how was the quality of your Jeep overall?

Were you satisfied? Would you recommend one to another?

This is a serious question and not an anti-Chrysler knock.

This vehicle just appeared in our parking lot. It wasn't in the rod and it wasn't near the road. It was driven into the parking lot and hit nothing. It just plopped apart. The neighbor who lives near that area saw it happen. She's an elederly woman and was so scared she slammed the door. From the looks of the beast, it was a badly abused unit. Even so, there was no evident impact occurred. Yikes!

curious Nick, how was the quality of your Jeep overall?

Were you satisfied? Would you recommend one to another?

This is a serious question and not an anti-Chrysler knock.

Didn't ask me but-

We have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L straight-6 all-iron pushrod engine, 42RE auto trans, SelecTrac NV242 tansfer case, 3:73 solid axles front and rear, tow package.

148,200 miles looks and drives like new, albeit well maintained and all stock. Would recommend. A truly capable off-road vehicle that we take off about once a month.

Our daughter still enjoys driving her 1993 Jeep Wrangler that I bought back in 1995. That has been one tough little Jeep that goes off road frequently! Still all stock it has just rolled 150,000 miles. 2.5L iron 4-cyl, 5-speed manual.

Both vehicles have all original powertrains, the Wrangler even has the original clutch.

The Wk 2005- Daimler designed Grand Cherokees (like the broken one pictured above) have independant suspension and "high-tec" engines, don't have the capability or durability of the older Grand Cherokees in my opinion.

Didn't ask me but-

We have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L straight-6 all-iron pushrod engine, 42RE auto trans, SelecTrac NV242 tansfer case, 3:73 solid axles front and rear, tow package.

148,200 miles looks and drives like new, albeit well maintained and all stock. Would recommend. A truly capable off-road vehicle that we take off about once a month.

Our daughter still enjoys driving her 1993 Jeep Wrangler that I bought back in 1995. That has been one tough little Jeep that goes off road frequently! Still all stock it has just rolled 150,000 miles. 2.5L iron 4-cyl, 5-speed manual.

Both vehicles have all original powertrains, the Wrangler even has the original clutch.

The Wk 2005- Daimler designed Grand Cherokees (like the broken one pictured above) have independant suspension and "high-tec" engines, don't have the capability or durability of the older Grand Cherokees in my opinion.

thanks for the input.

much appreciated

have an opportunity to buy a 99 Cherokee and was a little curious

thanks for the input.

much appreciated

have an opportunity to buy a 99 Cherokee and was a little curious

I'm partial to my Grand Cherokee Laredo's combination the Limited models seem to usually be optioned with the 4.7L OHC V8 and full-time QuadraDrive NV247 transfer case, climate control etc. Those can be more troublesome as they age.

For info on the WJ series Grand Cherokees check this- LINK

I'm partial to my Grand Cherokee Laredo's combination the Limited models seem to usually be optioned with the 4.7L OHC V8 and full-time QuadraDrive NV247 transfer case, climate control etc. Those can be more troublesome as they age.

For info on the WJ series Grand Cherokees check this- LINK

not interested in the auto 4wd systems. would rather have a permanant 2wd setup. Looked ata few older Exploder Sports (2 dr) but all are equipped with the auto 4wd setup. Thta's just a $2000 repair waiting to happen.

this is really just going to be a weekend vehicle for screwing around but not looking for a money pit.

Didn't ask me but-

That 4.0L I-6 was always a good engine. The engine in your daughter's unit, is that a 2.5 GM Iron Duke?

Being completely honest (and the owner of two ZJ's), I see more early to mid 90's Grand Cherokee's STILL on the road then ANY other SUV from that time period...and it was not the top seller either. Those trucks last forever. One of mine had 225K when I sold it and was still going remarkably strong (and I still got a nice penny for it too). The 4.0L inline six should be bronzed and instilled in an Automtive Museum somewhere. The engine refuses to die.

That 4.0L I-6 was always a good engine. The engine in your daughter's unit, is that a 2.5 GM Iron Duke?

It's a multi-port EFI 2.5L - 150CI AMC designed engine. It does well in the light Wrangler with a 5-speed. Kind of a short version of the straight-6 AMC Jeep engine.

But before this engine Jeep did use the GM Iron Duke 4-cyl in the late 1970's-early '80s CJs.

Edited by F250

not interested in the auto 4wd systems. would rather have a permanant 2wd setup. Looked ata few older Exploder Sports (2 dr) but all are equipped with the auto 4wd setup. Thta's just a $2000 repair waiting to happen.

this is really just going to be a weekend vehicle for screwing around but not looking for a money pit.

Agreed, stick with the Jeep NV242 transfer case it has a real manual shift lever and cable to the transfer case, not that electric dash switch/relays/shift motor the Explorer uses.

NV242 has 5 modes:

2WD

4WD High, full-time

4WD High, part-time

NEUTRAL

4WD Low, part-time

And the Grand Cherokee (before 2005) has quadra-coil suspension with solid axles front and rear.

Edited by F250