A Look Back at the Way Forward Plan

Thought it might be interesting to compare where Ford is now to where they said they wanted to be in 2006 before Bill Ford handed the reins over to Alan Mulally. Somewhat of a surprise to see how things have progressed and how closely they have stayed the course, even after Mulally joined the company. Current economic conditions have obviously delayed or altered some of their plans... :reading:

http://jalopnik.com/cars/news/fords-way-fo...ures-150070.php

Today (Jan 23, 2006), the company is announcing that hybrid versions of the Ford Five Hundred, Mercury Montego, Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX will debut in the 2008-2010 timeframe.

Well, they didn't complete that one !

Ford has committed to return its North American automotive business to profitability no later than 2008.

They didn't make this one either, but there were a lot of "extenuating circumstances" !

Ford will use more global vehicle architectures in North America , particularly for cars and crossovers, to reduce investment spending and improve quality.

A bit slow on the implementation, but definitely still on path.

I'm glad to see they haven't thrown the plan out just becuase the economy went in the toilet.

Two additional comments.

A large part of The Way Forward that was never "shouted from the roof tops" was to shrink the company. In the foreseeable future it will not produce nearly as many vehicles worldwide. The New Ford will be a much smaller Ford even after the economy turns around.

Another large part of The Way Forward that was never publicly announced is the de-coupling of new powertrains from new platforms or even body styles. First example was the '08 Escape. New body, but the new powertrains did not show up until '09. The same will be true with the F150. New powertrains (Coyote V8 and EB 3.5L) will be a year later.

So far this strategy has worked well, but I reserve final judgment on it for a few more years.

If you said Ford were going be cruising past GM in sales numbers in 2009, Opel & Vauxhall European operations would be sold off and GM were about to shrink its number of brands in half and become a very small company, most of folk would have laughed.

Gotta say l spotted my first ever Lincoln Navigator l have ever seen in the UK this afternoon, it looked an awesome bit of kit. Lincoln need to start trying to become a global player like Lexus in Europe, gotta say l think Lincoln would do well here if all their vehicles were a bit more fuel efficient. Gotta say l liked the Navigator.

My wife said what the hells a Lincoln never heard of it as we passed it, she said l bet that something to do with that ole Blue Oval blogs shit you do.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

If you said Ford were going be cruising past GM in sales numbers in 2009, Opel & Vauxhall European operations would be sold off and GM were about to shrink its number of brands in half and become a very small company, most of folk would have laughed.

Gotta say l spotted my first ever Lincoln Navigator l have ever seen in the UK this afternoon, it looked an awesome bit of kit. Lincoln need to start trying to become a global player like Lexus in Europe, gotta say l think Lincoln would do well here if all their vehicles were a bit more fuel efficient. Gotta say l liked the Navigator.

My wife said what the hells a Lincoln never heard of it as we passed it, she said l bet that something to do with that ole Blue Oval blogs shit you do.

Would be nice to see Lincoln finally expand into Europe someday, but I think it'll be a cold day in hell when Europe sees the Navigator being imported there. It's quite possible it's not even very long for living on our shores.

We've seen what happened when Ford tried to make a european Lincoln, it was called the LS. It was suited for the streets and particular driving habits to compete with other established luxury makes. I do not think the Lincoln of today would import too well in Europe specially with 200in.+ length vehicles. It would be interesting to see how a Navi would be accepted or even pass the pedestrian (you shouldnt have stood there-idiot) front "bonnets"...

The only vehicle that Lincoln currently sells that would even be remotely acceptable in Europe would be the MkZ. Even then, I'm not even sure that it has enough of a luxury touch to justify a profitable price there. Everything else is just too big for a non-established make to be able to move in sufficient volume. I'd also suggest that Ford would want to put an EB 2.0L in the MkZ to sell over there. There's nothing wrong with the D35, but, given the fuel prices over there, the EB 2.0L would be a much better choice.

The only vehicle that Lincoln currently sells that would even be remotely acceptable in Europe would be the MkZ. Even then, I'm not even sure that it has enough of a luxury touch to justify a profitable price there. Everything else is just too big for a non-established make to be able to move in sufficient volume. I'd also suggest that Ford would want to put an EB 2.0L in the MkZ to sell over there. There's nothing wrong with the D35, but, given the fuel prices over there, the EB 2.0L would be a much better choice.

Just had a look at the Lexus numbers they only sold 1,300 in Europe last month it makes you wonder why Toyota bother. Maybe your all right and like Richard Jenson keeps reminding me the the US & Europe are a completly different animals, but then Alan Mulally is right when he says you can sell a Boeing tripple seven anywhere in the world but l think that has more to do with kerosene price being almost the same price. But it does look like you would not be seen dead in out little piss pot sized cars & and we can't afford to waste half a weeks wages filling up a Navigator as much most folk would not mind owning one if we had your cheap fuel prices.

Just had a look at the Lexus numbers they only sold 1,300 in Europe last month it makes you wonder why Toyota bother. Maybe your all right and like Richard Jenson keeps reminding me the the US & Europe are a completly different animals, but then Alan Mulally is right when he says you can sell a Boeing tripple seven anywhere in the world but l think that has more to do with kerosene price being almost the same price. But it does look like you would not be seen dead in out little piss pot sized cars & and we can't afford to waste half a weeks wages filling up a Navigator as much most folk would not mind owning one if we had your cheap fuel prices.

Airplanes and cars are two completely different beasts. Mulally understands that. I sure hope you do too.

The goal was to develop a laser-like focus on different customer targets for Ford, Lincoln and Mercury to guide each brand s design, engineering and marketing decisions.

Look! The Laser-Focus was around before Mulally got there!

laserfocus.jpg

It's amazing how the auto market has changed in just 3 short years.

Edited by rmc523

Two additional comments.

A large part of The Way Forward that was never "shouted from the roof tops" was to shrink the company. In the foreseeable future it will not produce nearly as many vehicles worldwide. The New Ford will be a much smaller Ford even after the economy turns around.

I think that was a given after Ford announced 14 plant closings in the original Way Forward.

The emphasis has mostly been getting Ford North America back on its feet and in fact,

the Way Forward was derived from successful restructuring plans used in Europe and South America.

Wait until you see what the Administration wants to turn it into !

Oh, believe me, I know....

the phrase "the country" could also be substituted for "it" in that sentence, IMHO.

But, I think this is bordering on being in violation of the new rules, so I'm gonna stop there.

----

It kinda makes one wonder what postition Ford would be in today had this economic crisis not happened?

Edited by rmc523

I think that was a given after Ford announced 14 plant closings in the original Way Forward.

You are, of course, correct.

My point (that I obviously did not make) was that Ford will never make the same number of cars and trucks worldwide that they have in the past.

It will be a long, LONG time before Ford builds a new assembly plant in the US or Europe. Once WAP move into WAP, they will still have one empty plant.

You are, of course, correct.

My point (that I obviously did not make) was that Ford will never make the same number of cars and trucks worldwide that they have in the past.

It will be a long, LONG time before Ford builds a new assembly plant in the US or Europe. Once WAP move into WAP, they will still have one empty plant.

The way the product mix is going, trucks and SUVs are being pruned for sure but not certain Sedan numbers will as great as Ford wants.

I think Ford is emphasizing US Focus production ahead of the Mondeo/Fusion and wonder if this is a mis step.....

Fusion,/Mondeo /Taurus should all be joined at the hip and built in one or two US plants, all Focus products should be built in Mexico.

Edited by jpd80

...Fusion,/Mondeo /Taurus should all be joined at the hip and built in one or two US plants, all Focus products should be built in Mexico.

Fusion (and I would assume the next generation Fusion which will be a Modeao twin) is currently built in Mexico as the US Fiesta will be.

Thousands in the Detroit are are happy that Ford has already committed to building the next generation Focus (and possibly other C car variants) in the US at the Michigan Assembly Plant. If Ford really wants to be a viable "full line" automotive manufacturer, they need to be able to design a car that can be built at a profit in the US.

Beside, they can't loose ! The next gen Focus is being designed by Ford of Europe. :rolleyes:

So, what has been Mulally's biggest contribution? I think he would be the first to admit that he was not a "car guy" when Bill Ford hired him. Has it been his managerial style? How much of the credit should he be given for the decision to mortgage the farm before the credit crunch hit? If Ford emerges on top who will get credit for that? Mulally, Bill Ford or Mark Fields? How about all three?

So, what has been Mulally's biggest contribution? I think he would be the first to admit that he was not a "car guy" when Bill Ford hired him. Has it been his managerial style? How much of the credit should he be given for the decision to mortgage the farm before the credit crunch hit? If Ford emerges on top who will get credit for that? Mulally, Bill Ford or Mark Fields? How about all three?

You have not given Fords workforce much credit both Alan Mulally & the Unions worked both together for the greater good of Ford as a company in a realistic way.

Alan got a good price for Aston Martin and removed deadwood money pit never ending loss maker Jaguar/Land Rover from Ford books whislt GM have lost half it brands got nothing for them, look like they will get very little for Opel/Vauxhall in Europe and won't have any presence in Europe in the future, Chrysler have been given away for free in a part share to Fiat. Gotta say Alan Mulally has done the better deals cutting out the cash eating cancers at Ford, Rick just hid under the bed sheets and hoped the problem would disappear and go away at GM and sailed the big oil tanker staight on to the rocks without taking any action at all and looked frightened to rock the boat when it needed a lost of hard cost cutting in the right places might have ended up saving a lot more jobs than will now disappear because of his static decision making and general boring bland dull range of cars he has introduced at GM.

My only fears for the future on the horizon is the GM will shut down all but a few US plants and start building all its cars in China on the cheap only trouble the rest will have to follow the same GM cheap n' chearful footpath into China or fail and go under like GM has, just like every US Personel Computer maker has already done in the past.

Who wins if GM moved the whole of manufacturing base to China and turned a $38 billion loss into a small 10 million profit by building all it cars in China. Most of 10 millon would be reinvested in GM or disappear in bonuses for those at the top, billions of $$$ will get paid to its Chinese workforce and will get spent only in the on cheap Chinese goods made by more Chinese workers. USA will get left with a massive unemployment bill to pay every month.

Gotta say a lot of folk here are writing off the big 4 Chinese car makers as junk, ignore them at your peril they will get the know how and a cheap n' chearful Chinese made boring bland dull GM car will be the least of your worries. Gotta say l like the the new Fiesta and Taurus the F-Series, Escape, Mustang, Transit & E-Series best selling vehicles in class give me hope, but when you see dross & rubbish like an Auto Express Ford Capri that is nothing more a Focus Coupe l really start to worry about the future of Ford, why is the car design has to be sooooooooh boring is that what the buyer really wants a boring bland type of GM product, why not keep it close to the original that was exciting shape and a proven sales winning shape, if not why not give us a very exciting Porsche 911 Ford 911 that has been proven at generating billions in in profit year on year for decades for Porsche that has only been build/designed by human beings. Gotta say l get fed up with the "we no can do" exciting cars that folk want and will buy, we only only know boring bland dull, Ford won't have luxury of putting out half baked cooked cars like the Mondeo that should be a top of the range RWD highway cruiser thats not so bland in future when the Chinese are up to speed which won't be long they will be selling their Mondeo for half the price you can see it coming, it won't take them long to reverse engineer a Mondeo just like the Hondas & Toyota'''s of this world have done in the past.

Where in the rule book does it say only Porsche & Ferrari's of this world are allowed to make exciting sports cars & Fords must be boring bland and very very dull like the new Auto Express Ford Capri that will be an instant failure, when the old Capri was a knockout working mans Ferrari and a massive success for Ford?

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds