2010 Flex with EcoBoost requires Premium fuel

From page 11 of the 2010 Flex brochure

EPA-estimated 17 mpg city/24 hwy., Flex FWD with 3.5L Duratec V6 engine. EPA-estimated 16 mpg city/22 hwy., Flex AWD with 3.5L Duratec V6 engine.
EPA-estimated 16 mpg city/22 hwy., Flex AWD with 3.5L EcoBoost V6 engine with
premium fuel

Hmmm ... I think premium sells for about $0.20/gallon more in my neighborhood !

Edited by theoldwizard

So is there a mileage hit when using 87 octane? Or is the mileage the same as when using 91-94 octane?

Chuck

In theory....at light throttle you should get best mileage with 87 with it's slightly slower burn rate (in theory). But burn rate between 87 and higher octanes is so close, I image mileage will be quoted the same. Also a lot will depend on how it's tuned. How much timing etc with 87.

Edited by Ralph Greene

In theory....at light throttle you should get best mileage with 87 with it's slightly slower burn rate (in theory). But burn rate between 87 and higher octanes is so close, I image mileage will be quoted the same. Also a lot will depend on how it's tuned. How much timing etc with 87.

I disagree with your statement using the same data.

If the fuel economy was the same with 87 octane, why would Ford footnote the fact that those numbers were obtained using premium fuel ?

I disagree with your statement using the same data.

If the fuel economy was the same with 87 octane, why would Ford footnote the fact that those numbers were obtained using premium fuel ?

the exact wording regarding the SHO, and probably exactly the same regarding the Flex...reads....Based onFord projected 16 city/ 25mpg on Taurus SHO with ecoboost. Epa estimates unavail at printing. ( please not the full stop after the word printing ) Ratings acheived using 93 octane fuel. The use of 87 octane may reduce PERFORMANCE.....way I read it is PERFORMANCE pertains to Horsepower NOT MPG's.

Edited by Deanh

If I were tuning any of these cars for max fuel economy (MPG), I would tune them to use 87. For max performance as measured by HP and TQ, I would tune them for 91 and up.

In a modern computer controlled car, striving for best A/F and timing, I see no reason why 93 would give superior fuel economy. Actually I think 87 gives slightly better fuel economy (though maybe not measureable).

It may very well be that Ford did it's testing with 91 and up....to be able to advertise higher HP numbers.

The question I responded to was: Would MPG suffer with the use of 87? And there is no reason why it should.

Octane slows the burning rate of gas, 87 has a faster burn rate than 91/93.

NO !

The exact wording from the brochure (I downloaded) is listed in Post #1 ! Why do you think I listed the page number !

I said regarding the SHO Wiz....relax, man youve been feisty lately....the fact that it does not mention 87 means NOTHING........you sre reading into it too much.....

Edited by Deanh

Octane slows the burning rate of gas, 87 has a faster burn rate than 91/93.

Burn rate is affected by the A/F ratio, not octane. Octane is just a measure of it's volatility.

If I were tuning a car for a gas mileage contest, I would tune it around the use of 87.....which I know goes against popular myth.

Burn rate is affected by the A/F ratio, not octane. Octane is just a measure of it's volatility.

If I were tuning a car for a gas mileage contest, I would tune it around the use of 87.....which I know goes against popular myth.

In fact, both of your statements are correct (although as you said, against popular myth.)

In fact, both of your statements are correct (although as you said, against popular myth.)

Do you know whether Ford uses the one fuel type when doing emission/EPA tests and power figures?

I suspect all turbo and V8 engines are rated with premium and standard engines with regular.

Is that the way things were done in the past when you were with Ford?

Do you know whether Ford uses the one fuel type when doing emission/EPA tests and power figures?

I suspect all turbo and V8 engines are rated with premium and standard engines with regular.

uh oh :censored:

Edited by charly

I don't think premium makes that much difference with fuel economy tests,

most of the EPA test runs are done on nil or partial boost so any change would be minimal.

Edited by jpd80

Why in the world would you do that? In most engines tuning for 87 octane requires slightly richer A/F ratios and less timing, both of which hurt fuel economy. Engines tuned for 91-93 octane usually get better fuel economy than those tuned for 87.

Look at the Mach 1 and the 03/04 Mustang GT, the Mach 1 gets an extra mpg with an extra 50 hp.

All testing procedures are defined by the EPA and CARB. The gasoline that is used is not even available commercially as it is tested and analyzed for exact octane and other properties by the refiners for every delivery.

The short answer is, if you use a higher octane fuel for testing, it must be, at minimum, the "recommended" fuel (it could also be the most stringent "required" fuel)

Who fuckinkkkkkkkk cares, I'm with ford now and you are a knob gobbling thief so who cares what you think.????? and i use the term very looooooooosely.....mutt

WHOA!............medic...bring the straightjacket...........