New Mustang coming to NHRA ProStock

Those pics of the heads had me flashing back to when I laid eyes on the intake ports off a cousins 429 SCJ with a spun bearing when I was just a punk.

Thanks, and good luck Jim!! I was a HUGE Glidden fan back when he owned NHRA racing with the Tbird. One of the prettiest race cars ever.

Enders' and Cunningham's Mustangs look to be WAY down on power compared to the qualifying field. After the 3rd round of qualifying they were 6 and 4 mph slower respectively than the final qualifier. :(

They're still running the old engines with the new bodies. Erica was interviewed and she stated that the new engines were still a few weeks away. On Saturday, Jim managed to post a 6.75 @ 204, which is his best qualifying run all year. I would venture to say that the new bodies are the improvement. The new engine needs just a 10% improvement in power over the old engine to be competitive.

It would be nice to see one of them qualify this year... I'll be waiting for the Winternationals!

The new Pro Stock parts are listed on the FRPP web-site. Part numbers are as follows:

M-6010-JC50 PS Block Assembly (Link)

M-6049-JC50 PS Cylinder Head (Link)

M-6010-JC51 PS Block Assy. Sequential Head (Link)

M-6049-JC51 PS Sequential Cylinder Head (Link)

M-7002010-PSA Pro Stock Body 2010 Carbon (Link)

M-7002010-PSB Pro Stock Body Fiberglass (Link)

M-26600-PSA Pro Stock Door Handles

M-13404-PSA Pro Stock Tail Light Kit

M-13008-PSA Pro Stock Headlight Kit

2010 is going to be an interesting year in drag racing. Four teams have confirmed to run Ford in NHRA Pro Stock... Jim Cunningham/Erica ERnders, Larry Morgan, Robert Patrick, and John Noble. I can't wait for the Winternationals!!

post-14782-1253118611_thumb.jpg post-14782-1253118863_thumb.jpg

Edited by therealmrmustang

2010 is going to be an interesting year in drag racing. Four teams have confirmed to run Ford in NHRA Pro Stock... Jim Cunningham/Erica ERnders, Larry Morgan, Robert Patrick, and John Noble. I can't wait for the Winternationals!!

There were rumors that Jegs might be switching as well. Heard anything new on that one? While I am glad to see that Ford is getting back into PS I don't think you will see them being very competitive until at least one of the top line teams comes on board. No disrespect to any of the teams that have already made the commitment but I just don't see any of them having the resources to be consistently competitive. All you have to do is look at what happened with Toyota in NASCAR cup racing. They didn't do squat until Joe Gibbs Racing made the switch.

There were rumors that Jegs might be switching as well. Heard anything new on that one? While I am glad to see that Ford is getting back into PS I don't think you will see them being very competitive until at least one of the top line teams comes on board. No disrespect to any of the teams that have already made the commitment but I just don't see any of them having the resources to be consistently competitive. All you have to do is look at what happened with Toyota in NASCAR cup racing. They didn't do squat until Joe Gibbs Racing made the switch.

I haven't heard anything more on the Jeg's rumour... but it wouldn't surprise me if they jumped on board by 2011.

The Fords may not be in contention for the championship, but at least theyll be qualifying and maybe win a round or two. It takes time to get new stuff dialed in. These new engine parts are state-of-the-art, and are as good or better than brands X & Y out of the box. It may be an all Ford show in a few years, which will be as boring as the all GM show was in the late 90's.

• 3 weeks later...

After years of neglecting drag racing

Above is a very misleading statement; Ford likely spends more on Fuel Funny Cars and John Farce than all other manufacturers.

And as has always been the, Farce's engines are nothing more than a Chrysler design with Boss 500 painted on for the enjoyment of the ignorant children.

FORD ENGINE CLASS WINS IN NHRA SINCE 2002

2002 @ Phoenix, 2 class wins

2003 @ Lucas/Brainerd 1

@ Carquest/Rt 66 1

@ Dallas/O'Rielly 1

@ LV/Delco 1

2004 @ E-town/K&N 1

@ Seattle/CQ 1

@ Brainerd/Lucas 1

@ Reading/Lucas 1

@ Las Vegas 1

2005 @ Houston 1

@ Denver 1

@ Brainerd 1

@ U S Nats CE 1

@ Pomona Stk 1

2006 @ Somona, 7/30 Treadwell 1

2006U.S. Natls@Indy Treadwell 1

2007 Jeff Jackson Wilsonville OR '68 Mustang Ford 565 at phoenix 2/25/07

4/29/07 Michael Iacono, Wading River NY, '69 Mustang Stock

2007 Jackson, Mustang, Seattle, Super Street

2007 Memphis, Stock, Nick Morris, Bardstown KY, '98 Mustang

2008, Somona, Eric Waldo, Richland WA, '69 Mustang, Stock

’09 WN John Calvert, Lancaster CA, '08 Mustang

’09 Las Vegas, SC, Michael Miller, Santa Fe NM, Cameron-Ford

Chicago 2009 Super Street Ryan Giacone, Phoenix AZ, '88 Thunderbird

Rick Baehr, Wellington OH, '88 Mustang, M/SA,

’09 Seattle Gary Ericksen, Vancouver WA, '84 Mustang,

• 5 months later...

Looking great!! ProStock has always been my favorite of the "TV" classes. Can't wait to see it on the track!!

Just to bring up to date those not keeping up with the NHRA, Larry Morgan qualified his new Mustang 15th at the 50th Annual Winternationals in Pomona. He won two rounds before getting beat in the Semi finals. In Phoenix he also qualified, but went out in the first round. The Gatornationals are this weekend, and there are scheduled to be 3 Mustangs competing in Pro Stock. John Nobile who was at, but failed to qualify for the first two events, will be joined by Erica Enders making her season debut in her new Mustang. From what I've heard there will eventually be 7 Mustangs racing in NHRA Pro Stock by the end of the season, including Justin Humphreys driving a Roush/Yates tuned Mustang with Crew Chief Bob Glidden, the one and only.

Edited by traxiii

Just to bring up to date those not keeping up with the NHRA, Larry Morgan qualified his new Mustang 15th at the 50th Annual Winternationals in Pomona. He won two rounds before getting beat in the Semi finals. In Phoenix he also qualified, but went out in the first round. The Gatornationals are this weekend, and there are scheduled to be 3 Mustangs competing in Pro Stock. John Nobile who was at, but failed to qualify for the first two events, will be joined by Erica Enders making her season debut in her new Mustang. From what I've heard there will eventually be 7 Mustangs racing in NHRA Pro Stock by the end of the season, including Justin Humphreys driving a Roush/Yates tuned Mustang with Crew Chief Bob Glidden, the one and only.

Awesome!

good to hear on Pro Stock.. curious, are the Force teams fulling running the ford engine now in funny car or what? i see force has done great the first 2 weeks.

Any word on what happened to Morgan's car at Phoenix? I was watching up to the point where they said he couldn't keep the engine fired on the starting line.

Too bad the Gliddens haven't started a new team with Billy driving and Bob watching over his shoulder...

My sentiments exactly... Billy would be awesome in Pro Stock.

I just heard over at CompetitionPlus.com that a gent from Indiana is working at Roush/Yates on a new Pro Stock engine. :reading:

I used to go to the NMRA events when they ran at Maple Grove. It was always fun to watch Billy mow them down in his black "old school" Fox body Pro 5.0. He always seemed to out drive the competition even though he didn't always have the fastest car.

I also remember standing in the pits at Columbus and watching Bob tune his 70 Mustang Pro Stocker by sticking his ear in the carb while Etta ran the throttle from the driver's seat. :o

Any word on what happened to Morgan's car at Phoenix? I was watching up to the point where they said he couldn't keep the engine fired on the starting line.

Too bad the Gliddens haven't started a new team with Billy driving and Bob watching over his shoulder...

Speculation is that Larry didn't want to chance that bad lane at Phoenix with his new baby and faked a problem. I have no idea, but everyone seemed to run pretty good with the rule changes they made between races, adding wicker, a small splitter, and moving weight to the rear of the car.

As far as the Glidden's go, Bob is tuning/crew chief for Justin Humpheys and will have a new 2010 Mustang with Roush/Yates built engines very soon.

Billy has a new 2010 Mustang coming from Haas for Outlaw 10.5 with a new Ford power plant.

Edited by traxiii

Speculation is that Larry didn't want to chance that bad lane at Phoenix with his new baby and faked a problem. I have no idea, but everyone seemed to run pretty good with the rule changes they made between races, adding wicker, a small splitter, and moving weight to the rear of the car.

As far as the Glidden's go, Bob is tuning/crew chief for Justin Humpheys and will have a new 2010 Mustang with Roush/Yates built engines very soon.

Billy has a new 2010 Mustang coming from Haas for Outlaw 10.5 with a new Ford power plant.

Billy had been running a GTO with a Ford powerplant, correct?

• 3 weeks later...

FYI: There are 5 Pro Stock Mustangs on the entry list for the NHRA Spring Nationals the weekend of April 16-18. Jim Cunningham and Robert Patrick are scheduled to join Larry Morgan, John Nobile, and Erica Enders, all three of whom qualified for last weekends 4 Wide Nationals.

Edited by traxiii