2010 Ford Mondeo update spied

Here's my view on the Mondeo freshening:

1. We are in a period where the cycles of European and U.S. products are a bit awkward before they are merged. Efficiencies only come if you are on the same cycle with carefully orchestrated lead and follow-source launches.

2. The Mondeo and Fusion (plus siblings) don't have long before they are replaced by a new platform. Best guess is around two years or so.

3. When you have a short cycle left to the next generation car, you don't get a big budget for changes. All of the money is plowed into the major change.

4. The Fusion freshening was originally a lot smaller, but the team was able to convince management that they needed to take more dramatic actions to stay in the hunt until the next generation. And they had a longer cycle until full replacement than the Mondeo. It seems that bet has paid off with a lot of very positive reviews.

5. The next-gen CD platform is being engineered in the U.S.

6. I'm going to make a guess. I'm thinking that the abundance of "people movers" with their functional package will free up the designers to have a freer hand with the design of the sedans. But this could involve a compromise or two on function (package/visibility). I'm thinking along the lines of VW CC vs. Passat. But I don't have any specific inside knowledge. So the next generation is when we'll be getting to a point of more emotional designs for what some designers think is life's biggest challenge -- making a 4-door sedan interesting.

Here's my view on the Mondeo freshening:

1. We are in a period where the cycles of European and U.S. products are a bit awkward before they are merged. Efficiencies only come if you are on the same cycle with carefully orchestrated lead and follow-source launches.

2. The Mondeo and Fusion (plus siblings) don't have long before they are replaced by a new platform. Best guess is around two years or so.

3. When you have a short cycle left to the next generation car, you don't get a big budget for changes. All of the money is plowed into the major change.

4. The Fusion freshening was originally a lot smaller, but the team was able to convince management that they needed to take more dramatic actions to stay in the hunt until the next generation. And they had a longer cycle until full replacement than the Mondeo. It seems that bet has paid off with a lot of very positive reviews.

5. The next-gen CD platform is being engineered in the U.S.

6. I'm going to make a guess. I'm thinking that the abundance of "people movers" with their functional package will free up the designers to have a freer hand with the design of the sedans. But this could involve a compromise or two on function (package/visibility). I'm thinking along the lines of VW CC vs. Passat. But I don't have any specific inside knowledge. So the next generation is when we'll be getting to a point of more emotional designs for what some designers think is life's biggest challenge -- making a 4-door sedan interesting.

Great post Austin, Articulate and logical. I don't know personally about a CC type but I saw one in person and it's very sharp. IMHO, the new eastern cars look like they were designed by gamers and not my cup of tea. However if the 4 dr coupe style is the way forward, that's alright with me.

I think this thread can be closed....or simply rename it:

Ford Jellymoulds: I want to say the same thing over and over again.

We'll get it up over 4000 posts in no time :hysterical:

:hysterical: I'm up for it....

What happened to the "from now on, our designs will polarize" philosophy? This thing is boring.

As the other poster said, the platforms are to be merged soon, so not much ability or reason to do a massive MCE....