Looking to by an older SHO

Ok so I want to get into the SHO world. Dont know why but I always wanted an SHO. I looking all over for info on the older SHO's. I have it down to 2 types (I think) 94 or 95 or (I know, I know there not really SHO's) a 96 or 97. I keep going around and around on what I like about the gen II kinda raw and edgey or the more refined V8 rumble of the gen III. Or am I just asking for trouble getting into a problem with up keep. I do want a car to tinker with but nothing too crazy. i know the Gen III had to have had the cams welded or something??? Not sure about genII problems. What do ya all think. Help me out! Also anyone know where to get good info on them like a good forum or anyone selling one? Im leaning to a GenII hopefully 5 speed. Thanks Steve

Ok so I want to get into the SHO world. Dont know why but I always wanted an SHO. I looking all over for info on the older SHO's. I have it down to 2 types (I think) 94 or 95 or (I know, I know there not really SHO's) a 96 or 97. I keep going around and around on what I like about the gen II kinda raw and edgey or the more refined V8 rumble of the gen III. Or am I just asking for trouble getting into a problem with up keep. I do want a car to tinker with but nothing too crazy. i know the Gen III had to have had the cams welded or something??? Not sure about genII problems. What do ya all think. Help me out! Also anyone know where to get good info on them like a good forum or anyone selling one? Im leaning to a GenII hopefully 5 speed. Thanks Steve

Gen 3's are a handful of problems and they DON"T run that well, compared to the std car. They need the cams welded and are hard on trannies. The Gen2 with a 5 speed is the way to go, of the two. HOWEVER the best of the breed is the 91. Has the g1 lightness and the g2 shifter. Avoid the g2 autos as well.

Gen 3's are a handful of problems and they DON"T run that well, compared to the std car. They need the cams welded and are hard on trannies. The Gen2 with a 5 speed is the way to go, of the two. HOWEVER the best of the breed is the 91. Has the g1 lightness and the g2 shifter. Avoid the g2 autos as well.

I second that. The Gen IIIs were a bit of a disappointment, IMHO. I'm probably one of 2 people that like the looks, but that's about where my love affair ends with that vehicle. The Gen II is the route to go. Also if you are interested I'd take a look at the SVT Contour as well and pony up for a 3L swap.

I second that. The Gen IIIs were a bit of a disappointment, IMHO. I'm probably one of 2 people that like the looks, but that's about where my love affair ends with that vehicle. The Gen II is the route to go. Also if you are interested I'd take a look at the SVT Contour as well and pony up for a 3L swap.

Funny, 'cause that's how I ended up getting a 95 SHO! I was looking at a SVT Contour and prefered the used SHO.

Here's a good deal on a low mileage SHO, I haven't seen it in person tho.

http://tiny.cc/GJh1y

The engines are bullett-proof, but the automatics are a POS. Clutches don't last much beyond 60K miles. If safety is an issue, get a 90-95 with air-bags. FYI There was ABS but no traction control!

My ol SHO:

SHOfront.jpg

Funny, 'cause that's how I ended up getting a 95 SHO! I was looking at a SVT Contour and prefered the used SHO.

Here's a good deal on a low mileage SHO, I haven't seen it in person tho.

http://tiny.cc/GJh1y

The engines are bullett-proof, but the automatics are a POS. Clutches don't last much beyond 60K miles. If safety is an issue, get a 90-95 with air-bags. FYI There was ABS but no traction control!

My ol SHO:

SHOfront.jpg

WOW. That is one clean SHO!!! Thanks for the find. It is real tempting but I have my heart set on a Gen 2 like yours!! You may have the nicest Gen 2 in the country! She sweet! I was looking at one on ebay that is being sold as a 1 owned (76 year old woman) with all service records. She says see bought a new Fusion. Its not my color combo (green/gray) and its an Auto. But it has the full service history and its been service just great. 1 owner dealer serviced car does sound good but Im think I will look for a Gen 2 5-speed like you all say. So I guess the Gen 3 is getting out voted!!

Here's where you need to go.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?showforum=56

WOW. That is one clean SHO!!! Thanks for the find. It is real tempting but I have my heart set on a Gen 2 like yours!! You may have the nicest Gen 2 in the country! She sweet! I was looking at one on ebay that is being sold as a 1 owned (76 year old woman) with all service records. She says see bought a new Fusion. Its not my color combo (green/gray) and its an Auto. But it has the full service history and its been service just great. 1 owner dealer serviced car does sound good but Im think I will look for a Gen 2 5-speed like you all say. So I guess the Gen 3 is getting out voted!!

That was about 10 years ago, sold it to a guy in the Marines who had another SHO.

Wish it were for sale - I gave the guy a thumbs up (and surprised myself by doing so - who gives thumbs up anymore?) and shouted "Awesome SHO!!"I got a wave and a smile back. Didn't look like he was parting with it anytime soon.

I've gotten a few thumbs up driving around town......

Looks like you've gotten some great advice about the SHO. I've owned several over the years, and have a Red 92 currently.

Definitely stay away from the Gen 3's, they were automatic only and the trannies were garbage, not to mention the cam gear failures that destroy the engine.(I will admit they sound awesome, especially with the exhaust dumped) Also the Gen 2 auto's were garbage. As for the 5 speeds, stay away from one wheel burnouts and the drivetrain is very robust.

The 94-95's have only minor differences from the other gen 2's, as they have slightly larger brakes, and the rest is mostly limited to very minor apperance differences. 93 was the first year of the automatic, as well as the decklid spoiler. They also 'softened' the suspension in the later years, to make the ride smoother, less sporty.

92 was the first year the passenger airbag was available as an option, became standard in 94. Manual transmission cars are much more rare to find in the 94-95 model years, as most were automatics.

Good luck on your search. If your ever in Houston and want to try out a 92, let me know.

Looks like you've gotten some great advice about the SHO. I've owned several over the years, and have a Red 92 currently.

Definitely stay away from the Gen 3's, they were automatic only and the trannies were garbage, not to mention the cam gear failures that destroy the engine.(I will admit they sound awesome, especially with the exhaust dumped) Also the Gen 2 auto's were garbage. As for the 5 speeds, stay away from one wheel burnouts and the drivetrain is very robust.

The 94-95's have only minor differences from the other gen 2's, as they have slightly larger brakes, and the rest is mostly limited to very minor apperance differences. 93 was the first year of the automatic, as well as the decklid spoiler. They also 'softened' the suspension in the later years, to make the ride smoother, less sporty.

92 was the first year the passenger airbag was available as an option, became standard in 94. Manual transmission cars are much more rare to find in the 94-95 model years, as most were automatics.

Good luck on your search. If your ever in Houston and want to try out a 92, let me know.

Thanks for all your advise. I have moved off the Gen 3 thing. Your right about the sound of teh V-8 but then the V-6 above 4,000 rpms is music to my ears too! :shades: I cant find a real clean MTX at all. The 1994-1995 Gen 2's are impossable to find in a stick that hasent been beat to shit. Do you think I could do a MTX swap down the road?

Thanks for all your advise. I have moved off the Gen 3 thing. Your right about the sound of teh V-8 but then the V-6 above 4,000 rpms is music to my ears too! :shades: I cant find a real clean MTX at all. The 1994-1995 Gen 2's are impossable to find in a stick that hasent been beat to shit. Do you think I could do a MTX swap down the road?

Have you posted what you are looking for on SHOForums?

I wouldn't suggest the swap, it's been done but with mixed results, and you need a very complete MTX donor car for parts, the general consensus is that it's not worth the time and effort.

Leaving the 3.2 motor in and installing the MTX would be more difficult, since the 3.2 motor is a single serpentine belt system with a hydraulic tensioner for the timing belt, while the 3.0 MTX has two belts, and the timing belt is a fixed tensioner.

The automatics have different battery tray, coolant overflow bottle, radiator fan, computer, wiring harness, subframe, exhaust all the way to and including the resonator, motor mounts, cruise control module, much softer suspension/swaybars. Then there is the obvious stuff like brake/clutch pedal, getting the shifter assembly and all it's attaching hardware.

My dream SHO was a 95 MTX with all the options in the moonlight blue, silver or red. And I've never found it. But the 92-95's are all quite similar, and are a real hoot to drive, so don't limit yourself to the 94-95's and miss out.

Also watch out for S rated crappy tires, they can make a SHO feel like a regular taurus handling wise. They came with Z rated tires from the factory for a reason.

I wouldn't suggest the swap, it's been done but with mixed results, and you need a very complete MTX donor car for parts, the general consensus is that it's not worth the time and effort.

Leaving the 3.2 motor in and installing the MTX would be more difficult, since the 3.2 motor is a single serpentine belt system with a hydraulic tensioner for the timing belt, while the 3.0 MTX has two belts, and the timing belt is a fixed tensioner.

The automatics have different battery tray, coolant overflow bottle, radiator fan, computer, wiring harness, subframe, exhaust all the way to and including the resonator, motor mounts, cruise control module, much softer suspension/swaybars. Then there is the obvious stuff like brake/clutch pedal, getting the shifter assembly and all it's attaching hardware.

My dream SHO was a 95 MTX with all the options in the moonlight blue, silver or red. And I've never found it. But the 92-95's are all quite similar, and are a real hoot to drive, so don't limit yourself to the 94-95's and miss out.

Also watch out for S rated crappy tires, they can make a SHO feel like a regular taurus handling wise. They came with Z rated tires from the factory for a reason.

Wow you know you stuff when it comes to SHO! My dream SHO would ditto yours. I dont mind the dark green with the tan leather but it seems like 75% are that color!