Chrysler: Check engine now

Sixt9coug

typical Ford lover jumping on anyone who is down....Ford is NOT perfect

Not perfect, yes. But, oh so gratifying to those crapsler and Chebby lovers who love to talk down on Ford. How are those Ford acronyms doing now??? Found on road dead, how about flat broke with shit product. Burn baby burn!!!! :happy feet:

I am willing to bet that the Chrysler name will be gone by 2015 or so. Fiat will sell Ram and Jeep trucks with their cars. Buyers under 30 today do not remember old Fiats at all, so by middle 2010's, they will be prime buyers and the Fiat 500 will lead to more Fiat cars.

And yes, Ford wins the real car race, survival!!

Do they think a prospective BMW buyer is really going to give a Chrysler a whirl as a viable alternative? Wow. Just wow.

They would have said - they did say - that about Toyota (Lexus) and "Datsun" (Infiniti) a few years ago. Chrysler had a shot with the Daimler tie-up - if Daimler hadn't treated them as the red-headed stepchild. Among those named competitors, Cadillac is maybe at the rear of the pack - and they have made themselves somewhat competitive with the Germans with the CTS. I could (being ignorant of the financials) see Chrysler having a chance to maybe make it that far. There can be no false steps though - that's for sure.

The article overstates Chrysler's new-product bind.

In several core areas, Chrysler does have a lot of relatively new produt:

Grand Cherokee and 300 refreshes are coming next spring,

Jeep Wrangler and Unlimited are relatively new: Jeep doesn't need to refresh the sheet metal here very often.

Dodge Ram trucks are only a year or so old,

The Minivans are relatively new and can pretty much be carried forward with just interior and front clip refreshes to stay competitive.

As for the rest of Chrysler's lineup, cars aren't selling anyways. The current market is a good window to get things squared away.

They would have said - they did say - that about Toyota (Lexus) and "Datsun" (Infiniti) a few years ago. Chrysler had a shot with the Daimler tie-up - if Daimler hadn't treated them as the red-headed stepchild. Among those named competitors, Cadillac is maybe at the rear of the pack - and they have made themselves somewhat competitive with the Germans with the CTS. I could (being ignorant of the financials) see Chrysler having a chance to maybe make it that far. There can be no false steps though - that's for sure.

But Lexus and Infinity were new names and had no previous feelings associated with them.

Jeep Wrangler and Unlimited are relatively new: Jeep doesn't need to refresh the sheet metal here very often.

The Minivans are relatively new and can pretty much be carried forward with just interior and front clip refreshes to stay competitive.

As for the rest of Chrysler's lineup, cars aren't selling anyways. The current market is a good window to get things squared away.

The Cherokee isnt selling as is. No SUV right now is doing well. CUVs are hot, but traditional SUVs? None really are moving right now. The 300 isnt doing much better, and the redesign is pretty lazy from what ive seen in the pics. I hope it looks alot better in person but it barely looks like they touched it at all in the pics ive seen.

Ram is competitive and a decent truck. I know they did alot to it, but same thing, it barely looks like they did anything to it at all from the outside.

Minivans are new, but the lazy "interior and front clip" refreshes wont fly. Chrysler NEEDS a total makeover. I wouldnt consider a Chrysler at all. NONE. Yes, im a Ford loyalist, but there are GM products out there that i would buy, as there are Honda products (all from the 03-07 era though) and other brands i would own proudly other than a Ford. There is NOTHING from Chrysler that i would desire. That includes the Challenger.

Cars arent selling? CARS are selling! Fords biggest sellers are the F150, Fusion and Focus. GMs biggest sellers are the Silverado, Malibu and Impala. To totally neglect that segment is partially what got Chrysler into this mess to begin with. I know that sounds cliche, but the Neon wasnt selling so they made the Caliber. WTF? The Neon was far from great, but it wasnt the suck that is the Caliber. My disdain for the Avenger and Sebring knows no bounds. Every time i see one on the road i look at the driver and think "Bad Credit" or RENTAL! There are no redeeming factors to either car. I LOATHE the Avenger and still think its the worst new car on the market. Ive been in alot of rental cars over the last 2 years and could see appeal in every single car ive had... EXCEPT the Avanger. Terrible, terrible car.

That doesnt mean there isnt hope for them. i would love Chrysler to do well. I just think that they need more than just a half assed attempt and 'redesigns' that consist of new headlights a bumper and a hood. They have to do better than that. If they dont, they are finished.

Edited by Sixt9coug

I agree with what Sixt9coug said.

I'll add to it.

While a new Grand Cherokee, Durango, 300, and Charger are on the way, those are hardly key products right now, and the latter two barely look changed from pictures we've seen. Chryco's biggest weakness is in one of the biggest markets - midsize sedans, where their rental/fleet queens are easily at the bottom of the pack.

New products are good, but new products in segments that are stagnant or dying - not so good. That's not to say that they shouldn't have new competitive vehicles in every segment, they just need to emphasize their heavily lacking sedan offerings first before they concentrate on those other segments, at least IMO.

New products are good, but new products in segments that are stagnant or dying - not so good. That's not to say that they shouldn't have new competitive vehicles in every segment, they just need to emphasize their heavily lacking sedan offerings first before they concentrate on those other segments, at least IMO.

Exactly. Its akin to say Ford will be betting the success of the company on the next Explorer. or GM is betting the farm on a new Trailblazer or Suburban. That would be foolish in this day and age.

That is perfect.

Well in defense of the Sebring, it does have that proletarian charm as evidenced by Gaz's acquisition and re-badging of it as the Volga Siber. ( link ) If it's good enough for the Russians.........

While we're at it, check out the new Trabant: link

See, Chrysler does have a chance.

This is all tongue in cheek. I do think they could make a creditable car. If they only would.

Edited by retro-man

• 2 weeks later...
typical Ford lover jumping on anyone who is down....Ford is NOT perfect

Drove a '10 Taurus SEL this weekend. It was a close to perfect as any Taurus they have ever built. Chyrsler will have to catch Ford before they can ever hope to steal Caddy or Lexus customers....