07 Mercury "Freestyle"? See the pic

td284

Yea, that's Mercurys new version of the Freestyle. Meta one I think its called?

Sorry to hijack, but does anyone notice the pod on the A-pillar (driver's side)? Looks like its molded into the plastic there...any idea what it is? Speaker?

Sorry to hijack, but does anyone notice the pod on the A-pillar (driver's side)? Looks like its molded into the plastic there...any idea what it is? Speaker?

I believe it's a tach. Teams from Chicago were just finishing the Mercury "freestyle" when I transfered into the N.M.P.D.C. (new model products development center or "pilot plant") to work on the next gen 150. I thought it was a Ford at first, they did not put any mercury emblams on it at all. It looked pretty good up close.

Edited by DearbornDerek

"I agree with that! The Freestyle-based Merc fits with where Mercury is heading."

Well...do we know where Mercury is headed? Does FORD even know where Mercury is headed? Hmmm....

Isnt that what Mark Fields figured out with the way forward plan? I do have to say Jill Wagner was a good choice so far for Mercury :D :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

I'm seeing a ton of Freestyles and 500's around here in CT. They can't be doing too badly.

They're selling well in Michigan and northern Ohio from what I see. The Freestyle looks like it's become the official suburban "hockey mom" vehicle in metro Detroit. On a recent trip in northern Michigan I stopped for lunch at a roadside diner and when I left I noticed that of 8 cars in the parking lot 5 were either Monegos, ncluding mine, Fivehundreds, or Freestyles, at least one with Illinois plates. I think the big problem is that in some parts of the country for many people the term "domestic family car" has become an oxymoron.

I hope they come up with a better name than Meta One. I can't see myself telling anyone I drive a car that sounds like a vitamin or weight loss pill.

Well...do we know where Mercury is headed? Does FORD even know where Mercury is headed? Hmmm....

IMO the Mercury brand has begun to develop the clearest brand image of the American marques. A slightly more urban, metro looking vehicle with lots of lines and aluminum that is marketing itself toward a slightly more cultured, feminine audience. The only models that are holding the brand back are the Grand Marquis and Monterey, and the Montego to a slightly lesser extent.

Ford is still stuck between being an all American brand (Mustang, F-150), euro-sporty (Fusion, Focus), and an older person's ride of choice (Five Hundred, Crown Vic). It can't decide if it should compete with Toyota or Dodge. (Obviously it has to compete with both, but it doesn't have its own, unique point of view.)

Lincoln is all over the map with perception as being both an oldster's brand and having a limited lineup. It's going to take a lot more than an alphabetic naming scheme to erase the longstanding image of this neglected brand. The benefit Mercury has is that most people probably don't have as strong a connotation (one way or another) to the brand as they do for Ford or Lincoln.

Edited by OrlandoGuy80

IMO the Mercury brand has begun to develop the clearest brand image of the American marques. A slightly more urban, metro looking vehicle with lots of lines and aluminum that is marketing itself toward a slightly more cultured, feminine audience. The only models that are holding the brand back are the Grand Marquis and Monterey, and the Montego to a slightly lesser extent.

Ford is still stuck between being an all American brand (Mustang, F-150), euro-sporty (Fusion, Focus), and an older person's ride of choice (Five Hundred, Crown Vic). It can't decide if it should compete with Toyota or Dodge. (Obviously it has to compete with both, but it doesn't have its own, unique point of view.)

Lincoln is all over the map with perception as being both an oldster's brand and having a limited lineup. It's going to take a lot more than an alphabetic naming scheme to erase the longstanding image of this neglected brand. The benefit Mercury has is that most people probably don't have as strong a connotation (one way or another) to the brand as they do for Ford or Lincoln.

pretty much... I agree.

Igor