IIHS 2010 "Top Safety Pick" Awards

If it's an easy fix, I hope Ford makes it happen.

I thought the exact same thing! Ultimately, to me, since it was only a bit away from a roof strength score to get a Top Pick, it's still bound to be a safe car, even in a roll over. But, regardless, a little bit of extra strength equals the ability to get the award and that's worth it. I only use the IIHS tests to evaluate the relative safety of a vehicle---they are challenging and getting a Top Pick means the car is well-rounded against all risks.

As an aside...yet another reason NOT to get rid of Volvo. Please, Alan, think carefully about this!

Not a single model from the world's biggest automaker by sales is represented among this year's winners. Toyota and its Lexus and Scion subsidiaries had a strong showing in 2009 with 11 winners but were shut out for 2010.

A little bad press for Toyota is always good to read. :happy feet:

LINK, PDF

Courtesy of your friendly neighborhood casualty insurance company, the following Ford vehicles earned the highest rating in the IIHS eval for 2010 (which now incorporates a roof strength test):

• Ford Taurus
  • Lincoln MKS
  • Volvo C30
  • Volvo S80
  • Volvo XC60
  • Volvo XC90

Pretty soon, Geely is going to be one of the top safety companies in the world...

Look how many cars Chrysler has, Ford didn't do so great.

That's great for Chrysler, too bad their inclusion of safety equipment (which is standard on every new Ford) is pretty haphazard. If you want a Sebring that IIHS has on their list, you have to spring for the Limited model and even then it's optional. Then you have the Jeep Patriot, which also made the list, but only with its optional side airbags.

If it's an easy fix, I hope Ford makes it happen.

yep...we need to start up ANOTHER bitch fest about curb weight.....HERE is one reason for ever increasing poundage....the endless pursuit of appesing Insurance companies so they can lower premiums...oh wait ( or should i say weight? )

love the sarcasm...........Not satisfied with cars that manage crash forces well enough to avoid spilling your drink, and engines that run so clean they'll barely asphyxiate ants, a new crash test is reportedly coming in the works from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Along with the test will come new dummies and new testing equipment, all of which means it's likely to have a big impact on future car designs. The side-impact pole test will simulate side collisions with objects like trees or telephone poles, a type of accident that current side-impact tests don't accurately simulate..........now lets have a reality check, what % of aaccidents CURRENTLY actually fit this bill???????? I would say MINUTE.....NHTSA is trying to justify their existance with absolute insanity.......the answer is NOT to get yourself into this type of situation in the first place, so put the cell phone away, stop texting, drop the Starbux, stop looking at the pretty nav screen and mandate better driver education....hint #1 through 3...dont tailgate, drive to the conditions and use your turn signals.....there we go, 3 little hints that would probably save a lot more accidents than improving already adequate safety features....( IMO of course ) next up, seatbelts and airbags on motorcycles....

Edited by Deanh

There are already airbags on motorcycles.

thorax, sidecurtain or rear passenger....I was being sarcastic but I know....not widespread yet...YET! point is, at least to me safety is just getting out of control....and i wonder if drivers drive as badly as they do due to a feeling of invincibility....

yep...we need to start up ANOTHER bitch fest about curb weight.....HERE is one reason for ever increasing poundage....the endless pursuit of appesing Insurance companies so they can lower premiums...oh wait ( or should i say weight? )

Not necessarily, especially when done right:

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/roof/detailsbyclass.aspx?30

If you look at the vehicles that earned a 'Good' rating the weight was inline if not less (in some cases) with the Fusion's.

Not necessarily, especially when done right:

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/roof/detailsbyclass.aspx?30

If you look at the vehicles that earned a 'Good' rating the weight was inline if not less (in some cases) with the Fusion's.

wait till they authorize the NEXT required test....lets face it. cars are NOT getting any lighter....and even if they have a semblence of doing so, it is reflected usually in substantial price increases.......

Edited by Deanh

Speaking of stupid drivers, I got behind a car on the interstate last Sunday that was weaving back and forth in a surprisingly consistent pattern. He was at least staying within the lines of his lane. When I worked up enough nerve to pass him...you guessed it...he was texting!

Only two cars ahead of him I came up behind a female driver who literally ran into the grass of the median and then almost rolled trying to get back on the highway all the while throwing rocks and dirt all over highway. Who knows what the hell she was up to. :rolleyes:

Speaking of stupid drivers, I got behind a car on the interstate last Sunday that was weaving back and forth in a surprisingly consistent pattern. He was at least staying within the lines of his lane. When I worked up enough nerve to pass him...you guessed it...he was texting!

Only two cars ahead of him I came up behind a female driver who literally ran into the grass of the median and then almost rolled trying to get back on the highway all the while throwing rocks and dirt all over highway. Who knows what the hell she was up to. :rolleyes:

I witness "how the hell did THAt moron get a licence to begin with " on a daily basis....

I witness "how the hell did THAt moron get a licence to begin with " on a daily basis....

I'm sure that some of them don't have one. Not like that little issue is going to stop them.

I wonder how the Edge and Flex will do, they weren't tested, Maybe Ford knows they wouldnt get the highest rating so they didnt pay to have them tested? I'm pretty sure had Ford known they would pass it would have paid to have the roof crush test done early.

I also wonder if Ford will fix this, they didn't fix the Escape, it scored poorly on the roof test as well and that was last year, but there were no changed for the 2010.

I'm sure that some of them don't have one. Not like that little issue is going to stop them.

I wonder how the Edge and Flex will do, they weren't tested, Maybe Ford knows they wouldnt get the highest rating so they didnt pay to have them tested? I'm pretty sure had Ford known they would pass it would have paid to have the roof crush test done early.

I also wonder if Ford will fix this, they didn't fix the Escape, it scored poorly on the roof test as well and that was last year, but there were no changed for the 2010.

Why would the test the Edge when the refresh is right around the corner?

Also if you look at crash test ratings of Ford vehicles that did not fair well, they were improved over time. Look at the Fusion's initial crash test ratings compared to today's.

Why would the test the Edge when the refresh is right around the corner?

Also if you look at crash test ratings of Ford vehicles that did not fair well, they were improved over time. Look at the Fusion's initial crash test ratings compared to today's.

Roof didn't change on the Fusion from the old to the new, I highly doubt you will see door/roof changes to the Edge for the Facelift as well, those changes are very expensive, some sheet metal changes yes, but doors and the roof are expensive to change.

Roof didn't change on the Fusion from the old to the new, I highly doubt you will see door/roof changes to the Edge for the Facelift as well, those changes are very expensive, some sheet metal changes yes, but doors and the roof are expensive to change.

I'm aware that the roof didn't change on the Fusion, and I think it goes without saying that it won't on the Edge. Having said that, if it is a matter of utilizing higher strength metal I don't see the problem. There's more than one way to improve roof crush standards, and it doesn't necessarily mean that the entire roof and door have to be re-designed to do so.