GM trucks to add VVT

fubbyo

Link

For 2010 GM will be adding variable valve timing (VVT) to all of its V8 powered trucks. VVT is not a new technology for GM, but it is new for truck applications and GM hopes to help its fuel economy numbers with the latest addition to its V8 engine technology.

The article doesn't specifically say it will add horsepower, but do you think the 6.2 will be up to Camaro and Corvette power levels in the truck?

Link

The article doesn't specifically say it will add horsepower, but do you think the 6.2 will be up to Camaro and Corvette power levels in the truck?

We'll still have to stock front axle seals by the dozens.

Intermediate steering shafts also.

Also transmission cooler lines now that it's cold. Funny how it's a "new" truck but it has the same weak point as the prior truck.

God help you if you break the inside door handle on these trucks. Before you replaced the handle, now you replace the whole inside door PANEL!

But hey, more horsepower will fix that. :banghead:

Edited by MY93SHO

We'll still have to stock front axle seals by the dozens.

Intermediate steering shafts also.

Also transmission cooler lines now that it's cold. Funny how it's a "new" truck but it has the same weak point as the prior truck.

God help you if you break the inside door handle on these trucks. Before you replaced the handle, now you replace the whole inside door PANEL!

But hey, more horsepower will fix that. :banghead:

LOL! It's obvious you work with a fleet of chevies. Even the 4500's have the tranny line problems. Last year we had yet ANOTHER chev truck come in with a clunking in the steering wheel. I took it for a drive to diagnose it since I knew what it would be. Yup, the shaft is pivoting in the middle and is loose causing a clunk when you hit a bump. After 2 or 3 the dealership won't cover it anymore so...I got the mechanic's to get an air chisel with a flat nose punch in it, and peen in the two rounded sides to pinch the shaft tighter. Instead of a double d design it's almost square and yup, it got rid of the clunk. Now they do it to all instead of sending them to the dealership because it's about a 4 day turnaround for our customer.

Wow, it's taken them THIS long to get this into the trucks? They were demoing a VCT 5.3L YEARS ago. Heck, I thought that they had production versions of that engine out already in some of their cars (Impala SS, Grand Prix GT?). Well, if their goal was to improve engine efficiency, then they got it. I'd have to imagine that it will also broaden the torque curves a bit, which will be a VERY good thing for the 5.3L as it seems to need to spin quite a bit before it developes decent pull.

LOL! It's obvious you work with a fleet of chevies. Even the 4500's have the tranny line problems. Last year we had yet ANOTHER chev truck come in with a clunking in the steering wheel. I took it for a drive to diagnose it since I knew what it would be. Yup, the shaft is pivoting in the middle and is loose causing a clunk when you hit a bump. After 2 or 3 the dealership won't cover it anymore so...I got the mechanic's to get an air chisel with a flat nose punch in it, and peen in the two rounded sides to pinch the shaft tighter. Instead of a double d design it's almost square and yup, it got rid of the clunk. Now they do it to all instead of sending them to the dealership because it's about a 4 day turnaround for our customer.

And Ford still uses plastic lined ball joints on the Super Duty's, still will have to pull the cab to work on the 6.7L's. I work on a fleet of Ford's, Chevies, Freightliners, Internationals, and even a few Toyotas, and they all have reoccuring problems.

And Ford still uses plastic lined ball joints on the Super Duty's, still will have to pull the cab to work on the 6.7L's. I work on a fleet of Ford's, Chevies, Freightliners, Internationals, and even a few Toyotas, and they all have reoccuring problems.

Got any documentation on having to still pull the cab? I ask because I've read the opposite.

Got any documentation on having to still pull the cab? I ask because I've read the opposite.

I'll try to dig it up, it was mentioned in a press release. The article did say that something like 70% of the major service operations could be performed on the 6.7L without removing the cab, but it appeared that there were still some repairs that did require cab removal. After looking at the engine, I don't doubt it. In any event, this one ought to be a lot better than the 6.0L or 6.4L, so hopefully it will not be a issue.