New Mercury Compact

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't believe there are 4 pages of posts for this car. What will make it worth more $$ than a Focus?

This is just left over badge engineering from the past 35 years for L-M dealers that want to undercut the Ford guy a block away. It's just like the Monarch, Bobcat, Lynx, Tracer, Zepher, Topaz, Mystique and last Sable. Nothing that muich different than the Ford it was based on.

It will bomb, especially with F-L-M dealers showing the same two basic cars next to each other. Also, will cut into Focus production.

except when someone likes everything about the focus except for the styling. many milan buyers would not have bought a CD3 car if the milan did not exist.

Don't bother arguing with 630 about Mercury, he's been campaigning for their death seemingly forever. I agree with you - if done well, the Tracer will appeal to a different customer than the Focus.

except when someone likes everything about the focus except for the styling. many milan buyers would not have bought a CD3 car if the milan did not exist.

I concur. It's all personal taste. I bought the Mystique (actually, 2 Mystiques of which 1 was a "mistake" due to electrical issues) over the Countour, Mountaineer over the Explorer, Mariner over the Escape, and MKZ over the Fusion and Milan.

Now, in contrast, I picked the Mustang over the Capri. Again, all because of styling.

If I was considering another small car, I would have to see what the Mercury and Ford versions look like before deciding.

Edited by exrub

I can't believe there are 4 pages of posts for this car. What will make it worth more $ than a Focus?

This is just left over badge engineering from the past 35 years for L-M dealers that want to undercut the Ford guy a block away. It's just like the Monarch, Bobcat, Lynx, Tracer, Zepher, Topaz, Mystique and last Sable. Nothing that muich different than the Ford it was based on.

It will bomb, especially with F-L-M dealers showing the same two basic cars next to each other. Also, will cut into Focus production.

You are basing this assumption on a badge job (which it very well may be). I'd wait to see the production version to lay any predictions for sales figures.

You are basing this assumption on a badge job (which it very well may be). I'd wait to see the production version to lay any predictions for sales figures.

All indications are new front fenders, hood, bumper, headlights, rear bumper and lights, wheels, and "upgraded" interior.

Probably in line with the Fusion-to-Milan conversion, not nearly a "badge job" in the way of the Contour/Mystique.

It's been reported there will be at least 10 variations of the Focus platform. I heard some time ago there may be a Capri version, or some type of a sports coupe.

I don't see why Mercury can't get at least a couple of C class cars, a coupe and a wagon perhaps? Something that would be different than what is available from the local or same Ford dealerships. I don't expect the exclusivity or unique body panels of a Lincoln, but with so many variations they shouldn't be just rebadges Fords.

post-19198-1263330595_thumb.jpg

post-19198-1263330635_thumb.jpg

post-19198-1263330680_thumb.jpg

I bought my Fusion only because I didn't care for the dealership that had Mercury and the dealer I did buy from was a "Ford only"....this time around, I really like the new Milan refresh over the Fusion version and the dealer that I didn't care for has been sold so....they are back in contention...unless my trusty "Ford only" store can figure out a way to get me a Mercury this time....

It's been reported there will be at least 10 variations of the Focus platform. I heard some time ago there may be a Capri version, or some type of a sports coupe.

I don't see why Mercury can't get at least a couple of C class cars, a coupe and a wagon perhaps? Something that would be different than what is available from the local or same Ford dealerships. I don't expect the exclusivity or unique body panels of a Lincoln, but with so many variations they shouldn't be just rebadges Fords.

I can see that. Ford could always "split up" the European versions of C-car into Ford and Mercury models in the US. For example:

Euro model --> US model

Focus 4dr/5dr = Ford

Focus 3dr = Mercury Lynx

Focus coupe convertible = Mercury Capri

Focus wagon = n/a (it won't fly in the US...)

C-Max = Mercury Tracer

Grand C-Max = Ford

Kuga = Mercury Mariner

n/a = Ford Escape (unique North America/Asia Pacific top hat based on Kuga)

It would be nice to see a Mercury version of a 2 door sport coupe with a hatch similar to the Probe or Toyata Celica. Single women seemed t like those cars and it would be something that would fill the gap for those that don't want a Mustang but would consider a sports car from Ford. I happen to know three people like that - they would buy a Ford product if something like that is offered. Then again, they may be the only people in the world that would want producs similar to these from Ford.