Ford Ranger Replacement

Mackintire

Mr. Mulally,

I have written my options and the collective opinions of a large pool of Ranger owners on this forum before. This is an update on what we as the owners see from the consumer side.

We need a truck smaller than the F150. Size matters.

It matters for some because of parking restrictions, it matters for other because of spacial and comfort reasons. There are others that just don't want a large truck and still others that find owning a large truck wasteful on every level.

So here's a short generalized list of whom you should be trying to please:

The basics crowd: These owners want a stripped basic truck. They want it to be inexpensive, economical and durable. These consumers want a small truck that can get 30 MPG. These guys rarely put anything in their bed over 1000lbs, but they sometimes do. These are also the guys that want a long bed option.

The XLT Ext cab Ranger 4x4 owners: This includes almost everyone who has purchased a 4.0 liter 4x4 Ext. cab Ranger from 2000-current. They want what they have now only better. Most want more room, fuel economy and comfort. These trucks SHOULD qualify for a SAE 3000lb towing rating with ease. Towing 3000lbs comfortably should cover over 80% of the normal use for these owners. We need to be seeing 24 MPG in this configuration.

Most of these owners want a slightly larger truck, most also do not want something as large as the tacoma. I once suggested that the 2003-2005 Explorer width is probably the best compromise, I 'm still sticking with that suggestion. I should caution you not to build a truck wider than the current Explorer Sport Trak as that will drive away most of your potential customers in this and the previous group.

The Sport Trak owners: These consumers want what they currently have, only less expensive and with better fuel economy.

There are other potential customers like the fanatical "bring back the bronco group" or the" we want a mini Heavy Duty truck group" but what I listed above are the customers that are a known existing groups. Or said another way "consumers in search of a product"

I hope you find this information useful.

Your potential customer,

Mackintire

"The basics crowd: These owners want a stripped basic truck. They want it to be inexpensive, economical and durable. These consumers want a small truck that can get 30 MPG. These guys rarely put anything in their bed over 1000lbs, but they sometimes do. These are also the guys that want a long bed option. "

The problem is no one makes money on these trucks. The other problem is there are not enough of these buyers.

Don't believe me? Go spend 60 days in any dealership and see how many of the "Basics Crowd" come in and are actually serious about buying.

If they are the only people you get to talk to you are going to be very lonely.

"The basics crowd: These owners want a stripped basic truck. They want it to be inexpensive, economical and durable. These consumers want a small truck that can get 30 MPG. These guys rarely put anything in their bed over 1000lbs, but they sometimes do. These are also the guys that want a long bed option. "

The problem is no one makes money on these trucks. The other problem is there are not enough of these buyers.

Don't believe me? Go spend 60 days in any dealership and see how many of the "Basics Crowd" come in and are actually serious about buying.

If they are the only people you get to talk to you are going to be very lonely.

I know guys in the "basics" crowd. They say the same thing, that they will refuse to purchase a new ranger until Ford makes something better.

Newer year does not automatically translate to a better truck.

Most are holding out for something to break the 30 MPG barrier. Yes, they look...see that nothing has improved in the last 10 years and say, "ok mine only has 140,000 or so miles on it."

So they have a choice: Wait for something better or go buy a used ranger in the meantime.

Its the carrot on the stick mentality. Unfortunately its been the same carrot hanging on that stick for the past several years.

Edited by Mackintire

re: the Basics Crowd (actually/to an extent, All these groups)

I'd like to pose the idea that these BUYERS no longer BOTHER going to their Ford dealer

...or at least not to the New Vehicle section...

because they Know there's NOTHING there for them

&

ask this question - HOW CLOSE to What-They-Want would the new trucklet have to come

to get them to buy new instead used or other-Mfgs?

Edited by 2b2

Here would be the reply from Ford

Basic crowd: You guys won't pay any real money for a truck so you are dead to us... and if you hang on long enough, we'll sell you a Transit cab/chassis pickup. Is that utilitarian enough?

Extended cab 4x4 crowd [aka the Dude Bros]: Stop pretending you really like the Ranger and buy the F-150 you really want. We'll be selling the 3.7 v6 real soon... it will get better MPG than your Ranger and you won't need to justify your manhood at the next Dude Bros meeting. You can even swap out the grill with a Raptor grill. It will be a Dudette magnet.

Sporttrac owners: D4 Explorer with the back loped off. We'll be calling it F-100 as to not conjure up images of Sporttrac but you'll know what it is when you see one... wink wink...

Here would be the reply from Ford

Basic crowd: You guys won't pay any real money for a truck so you are dead to us... and if you hang on long enough, we'll sell you a Transit cab/chassis pickup. Is that utilitarian enough?

Extended cab 4x4 crowd [aka the Dude Bros]: Stop pretending you really like the Ranger and buy the F-150 you really want. We'll be selling the 3.7 v6 real soon... it will get better MPG than your Ranger and you won't need to justify your manhood at the next Dude Bros meeting. You can even swap out the grill with a Raptor grill. It will be a Dudette magnet.

Sporttrac owners: D4 Explorer with the back loped off. We'll be calling it F-100 as to not conjure up images of Sporttrac but you'll know what it is when you see one... wink wink...

If you're affiliated with Ford Marketing, someone needs to reassign you somewhere where you will never get the chance to interact with customers.

• Like 1

screw the ranger it is dead...f100 is the hands on favorite for small truck in fords future..i see no reason for FORD not to build a scaled down f150 that you could actually use to haul something....3 suitcases in the bed of my old ranger and it was full

Ford will soon release an F150 with the new 3.7 and 6-speed auto, perhaps a single cab and 8 foot bed "F100" would be a great opportunity to convert a lot of V6 Ranger buyers over to a better vehicle without too much price penalty. I-4 ranger buyers will probably be catered for by a different product. maybe a new unitary Explorer pick up....

As a 2x Sport Trac owner, it's pretty accurate to say I want what I have. However, there are some things I'd like changed and made into an F100/Ranger/whatever. An F150 is too big. Won't fit in my garage, and the reality is my vehicle is used most for commuting to work. So, respectable mileage and driving manners matter. However, I would like it a bit more offroad truck like than the ST. A bit more clearance, better approach and especially departure angles. Also, a bit longer bed would not be bad. Although, the existing one does what I need with surprisingly few limitations. Save some space in the engine bay with the newer, smaller powerplants, and add it to the back. Keep the little cargo storage areas and add even more along the sides. Also include a hard tonneau cover. Thank you.

I've owned my 1993 Ranger since it was new. It's been a swiss army knife for me. Between being my primary commuter, to moving my household (twice), to hauling whatever (garbage, lumber, riding lawnmower, motorcycle....you get the picture), it's been the most useful vehicle I've owned.

Would an F-150 have been just as valuable? Sure, and while I did consider trading my Ranger when it got 10 years old, the F-150 had got progressively larger since I'd purchased my Ranger. The F-150 is now taller (bedsides, loading height) than I would like, and while this would be "fixed" by lowering the truck, I don't understand why Ford just doesn't make them that way. A truck is supposed to be useful. That is its purpose. And for me, the F-150 is just too big and too tall to be useful.

I know the words "Honda Ridgeline" are a bit comical, when comparing trucks, but it does answer the needs of people like me; Joe-the-Husband-and-Homeowner. I'd just prefer my truck to be a real truck, not a minivan with the roof cut off. The bed is too short to haul 2x4s or plywood or a sofa without tiedowns. The Sport Trac is little better, as far as I'm concerned (but I admit I would be a target consumer). I just consider a 6' bed to be a minimum to safely take any of those items and throw-and-go. For me, that's what a truck is; you toss whatever you want to carry in the back, and go. (NOTE TO FORD: and you don't have to have a ladder to reach over the bedside)

Now that I'm married with children, I must consider more than my (personal) needs when I purchase a vehicle. It's not just me anymore, but that doesn't mean that I want to lose what I have now in my current Ranger. (mpg, user-friendliness.......reliability).

What I'd like is a "family friendly" Ford Ranger. What is it about Mexico that makes it a more viable market for a Crew Cab Ranger (albeit with a 5' bed) than America?

• 2 weeks later...

Mr. Mulally,

I have written my options and the collective opinions of a large pool of Ranger owners on this forum before. This is an update on what we as the owners see from the consumer side.

We need a truck smaller than the F150. Size matters.

It matters for some because of parking restrictions, it matters for other because of spacial and comfort reasons. There are others that just don't want a large truck and still others that find owning a large truck wasteful on every level.

So here's a short generalized list of whom you should be trying to please:

The basics crowd: These owners want a stripped basic truck. They want it to be inexpensive, economical and durable. These consumers want a small truck that can get 30 MPG. These guys rarely put anything in their bed over 1000lbs, but they sometimes do. These are also the guys that want a long bed option.

The XLT Ext cab Ranger 4x4 owners: This includes almost everyone who has purchased a 4.0 liter 4x4 Ext. cab Ranger from 2000-current. They want what they have now only better. Most want more room, fuel economy and comfort. These trucks SHOULD qualify for a SAE 3000lb towing rating with ease. Towing 3000lbs comfortably should cover over 80% of the normal use for these owners. We need to be seeing 24 MPG in this configuration.

Most of these owners want a slightly larger truck, most also do not want something as large as the tacoma. I once suggested that the 2003-2005 Explorer width is probably the best compromise, I 'm still sticking with that suggestion. I should caution you not to build a truck wider than the current Explorer Sport Trak as that will drive away most of your potential customers in this and the previous group.

The Sport Trak owners: These consumers want what they currently have, only less expensive and with better fuel economy.

There are other potential customers like the fanatical "bring back the bronco group" or the" we want a mini Heavy Duty truck group" but what I listed above are the customers that are a known existing groups. Or said another way "consumers in search of a product"

I hope you find this information useful.

Your potential customer,

Mackintire

I agree with you that the F-150 is too tall, particularly in the bed. In fact, the current F-250 looks better than the F-150 in that regard, with lower bed walls. If I were to get a full size truck, it would likely be the F-250.

I just don't need such a big truck, as it would be a waste of space, capability, and money. I looked at the F-150, and even the F-250, but I still come back to the size, looks, cost and relatively good mileage of the current Ranger. I wish Ford would just update the current Ranger with EcoBoost engines, 6-speed transmissions, and a mild interior refreshening. The current Ranger exterior is just fine with me.

If Ford doesn't redo the current Ranger, I believe that Ford should go ahead with the F-100 and have various Ranger trim levels. All it needs is to be 85-90% the size of the current F-150 and it would not canibalize the F-series sales.

Come on Ford, don't just give this segment to Toyota and Nissan, as I think it would be a strategic mistake.

I doubt Ford wants to help itself lose the 'Best fullsize pickup for 33 years running' marketing gimmic they've been using for, like, 33 years now... :)

You put a nicely done new Ranger and/or F-100 (which won't and shouldn't be considered fullsize) pickup(s) out there, with Ford stamped on the back, and that's definitely going to eat into fullsize sales.

Not going to happen.

Chuck

Edited by chucky2

I sure miss my Ranger, I drive a Mustang now but I have one for my son so if you can believe it I look forward to filling up the tank. Ironic huh? Anyway I hope to get another one day and this is what I found important to me is....Extend cab incase of rear end collision to prevent head injury, small truck needed for parking nowadays, more power will ya, Better payload hold cause there is no sense in a truck that cant tote some dirt.