10 Dirt Cheap Collectible cars

Show me a early 90's FoxStang in the condition they are showing on that website for $3K or less. Average price for a "decent" one is closer to $5k-$6k. One in really good shape is more.

You can get a reasonable one that might need some work (but a decent runner/driver) for that price. $4,500-6,000 is the sweet spot around here for a nice driver car that really shouldn't need anything but a new ass in the seat. If you cruise the ads around here you can get some NICE notchbacks for around $5,500. Rare or extremely low mile cars are about the only ones that break the $7K barrier.

I'm picking up a 94 GT/5spd this weekend for $1,700 myself :D.

EDIT - Here is a pretty clean looking one. I don't like red cars though but it's pretty nice and has low miles for the year. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/1602192261.html

Edited by Sixt9coug

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2010/autos/1002/gallery.cheap_collector_cars/index.html

Though I go WTF with the addition of the Pacer in that list....

I'm not surprised at all. It's the Edsel of the 1970s.

It's distinctive and original. A 1975 Chevrolet Malibu, 1977 Plymouth Volare or 1976 Toyota Corona are boring...the Pacer isn't boring. The cardinal sin in the collector car hobby for a car is to be boring, not awful. Being so awful that people remember how awful it was helps make a car more collectible.

People remember it, and everyone is familiar with it.

For better or worse, it evokes a certain era and part of our history.

It was such a massive flop, that people like it for that reason (much like people like to watch Plan 9 From Outer Space, orValley of the Dolls - they are so bad, that they are actually good, or at least entertaining).

I'm actually surprised that the Gremlin wasn't on that list, too, for most of those reasons (except that the Gremlin did sell well, so it wasn't a flop).

If you want to pick up something different that people will remember in 20 or so years, and don't want to spend much money, I'd suggest getting that low-mileage Aztek now.

Being so awful that people remember how awful it was helps make a car more collectible.

The man speaks truth.

Of course, the 70s were the Edsel of the 20th Century when it comes to cars.....

I'd suggest getting that low-mileage Aztek now.

Yeah....

Thirty years from now they'll be sitting in garages with Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears music playing and with 'vintage' Starbucks paraphernalia and a movie poster from Snakes on a Plane hung on the walls---but will the garages be owned by chubby men with gray hair, beards, Hawaiian shirts and sandals?

Edited by RichardJensen

Good thread.....

So tell me then gentlemen.... what would you "guess-timate" an all original '88 5.0 LX with 67k original miles, NEVER wrecked would be worth?

This car includes EVERY available option in 1988 except the graphic equalizer. It even includes the optional 3.08 rear differential.

The pics of my car below are from just last year.

-Ovaltine

post-19727-12667287476691_thumb.jpg

post-19727-12667289801019_thumb.jpg

post-19727-12667289887041_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ovaltine

"..So tell me then gentlemen.... what would you "guess-timate" an all original '88 5.0 LX with 67k original miles, NEVER wrecked would be worth?

This car includes EVERY available option in 1988 except the graphic equalizer. It even includes the optional 3.08 rear differential.

The pics of my car below are from just last year."

-Ovaltine

It's worth notthing so you may as well just sign the back of the title over to me!

I kid.

I do have a problem with the 'never been wrecked' part... until you've swapped ends in the rain on the highway at 55 mph you haven't nearly enjoyed the car enough.. My 87 could spin with the grace of a figure skater - for virtually no reason at all. Loved that car.

• Like 1

Good thread.....

So tell me then gentlemen.... what would you "guess-timate" an all original '88 5.0 LX with 67k original miles, NEVER wrecked would be worth?

The pics of my car below are from just last year.

-Ovaltine

I'd say $6500 at least around here. Low mileage, not modified, 5spd and a legit 5.0 are all a plus. The louvers, color, non MAF car (at least I assume it isn't unless it came from CA) the fact that it's a hatch and not GT interior are the biggest downsides to it. Louvers can be removed however and I would only leave them on if they are a Ford accessory and not another aftermarket piece.

Great condition and a very nice car for sure. Were the 3.27s auto cars only?

What's up with the fender emblems? Don't like bragging about the 5.0? lol. I thought that only the 89s got the pony dash emblem too. I guess not.

Edited by Sixt9coug

I'd say $6500 at least around here. Low mileage, not modified, 5spd and a legit 5.0 are all a plus. The louvers, color, non MAF car (at least I assume it isn't unless it came from CA) the fact that it's a hatch and not GT interior are the biggest downsides to it. Louvers can be removed however and I would only leave them on if they are a Ford accessory and not another aftermarket piece.

Great condition and a very nice car for sure. Were the 3.27s auto cars only?

What's up with the fender emblems? Don't like bragging about the 5.0? lol. I thought that only the 89s got the pony dash emblem too. I guess not.

Good eye(s) there S9C!

The 5.0 emblems were removed by the original owner (who owned it only 11 months), due to 5.0's being ripped off left and right from the FoMoCo parking lots around Dearborn. I drove it emblem-less for about 4 years, until the 94's came out. The non-V8's had those emblems and I thought those would make my car more unique than the "belly button - everyone's got one" 5.0 markers.

The dash running horse emblem WAS from an '89. I added that too, since the dash was very plain up in that area. All of the aftermarket emblems and louvers are easily removed if necessary.

One question.... why would the color red be a "blackmark" on 5.0? That was one of the deal sealers for me!

And you are correct... it's not mass airflow. It's speed density. It still runs great though!

Thanks for the commentary.

-Ovaltine

Good eye(s) there S9C!

The 5.0 emblems were removed by the original owner (who owned it only 11 months), due to 5.0's being ripped off left and right from the FoMoCo parking lots around Dearborn. I drove it emblem-less for about 4 years, until the 94's came out. The non-V8's had those emblems and I thought those would make my car more unique than the "belly button - everyone's got one" 5.0 markers.

The dash running horse emblem WAS from an '89. I added that too, since the dash was very plain up in that area. All of the aftermarket emblems and louvers are easily removed if necessary.

One question.... why would the color red be a "blackmark" on 5.0? That was one of the deal sealers for me!

And you are correct... it's not mass airflow. It's speed density. It still runs great though!

Thanks for the commentary.

-Ovaltine

No real negative about red other than it's common. White, black, and red are all common with these cars. Some other colors can go for more to the right buyer. Regatta Blue comes to mind and I think its awesome looking when either new or a very well kept original.

Nothing on your car is really a negative perchance. Some of the items I mentioned would just make it more desireable. Us Californian's got MAF cars in '88 after all :D.

All in all a very clean car and it looks very well taken care of. Not many of these things escaped the claws of an 18 year old with a heavy foot.

Sorry, but you can't touch a nice Fox around here for that $ My buddy lived in Cali, and says they're all over, but in the snow states, finding a solid unmolested Fox is gonna be pricier than that.

Did I just say: solid, unmolested fox? WTF.

Here in the south you can pick up a fox body pretty cheap, it all depends on what kind of condition it's in. Some of them go for $1000 or so, others are as high as 7 or 8 K for one in excellent condition.

Personally I looked into the Fiero thing. We have a shop here that specializes in Fieros. They drop the 4.6 V8 in them. I would rather stick with the stock motor actually and put the aftermarket performance package on the rebuilt 2.8, save on the gas bill.