2011 Mustang 6 spd manual transmission

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ford should have saved some money and built a 4 speed transmission for those who are buying the V8 AND want to save fuel. After all, that's what they effectively are giving you ...

This sounds like another design by committee problem.

Edited by SVT_MAN

Ford should have saved some money and built a 4 speed transmission for those who are buying the V8 AND want to save fuel. After all, that's what they effectively are giving you ...

This sounds like another design by committee problem.

Blame the EPA, not Ford.

Not sure why people think this is a big deal. Like coupe3w said back in Febuary this will be easy to bypass. For $20 you can buy a skip shift eliminator kit for a GTO, Vette, Camaro or Challenger. I'm sure one will be available for the Mustang. It only takes a few minutes to install. Click the below link.

http://www.installuniversity.com/install_university/installu_pages/sophomore_year/cags_slp.htm

I'm just wondering, if you install a skip shift defeator on your transmission will that be cause for Ford to negate your warranty? Furthermore would they negate the entire drivetrain warranty under the idea that by modifying the transmission the owner has comprimised the whole drivetrain?

I'm just wondering, if you install a skip shift defeator on your transmission will that be cause for Ford to negate your warranty? Furthermore would they negate the entire drivetrain warranty under the idea that by modifying the transmission the owner has comprimised the whole drivetrain?

IIRC... only if they can prove it caused the failure.

Since Ford allows normal shifting with higher throttle input defeating it would have no detrimental impact to the drivetrain. It's only there for the EPA fuel economy testing. There is no way this would cause any type of warranty problem unless you damaged something installing it or removing it.

According to the 2011 Mustang owner's manual, the skip shift feature in the V8 6MT works as such:

2011_mustang_skipshift.jpg

So what triggers skip shift, how quiclkly you get to 17 mph? If that's true then I can see drivers waiting until, say, 15 mph and then accelerating harder to avoid having skip shift activate. Sort of defeats the whole purpose of trying to save fuel... :shades:

Sort of defeats the whole purpose of trying to save fuel... :shades:

Of course it does. This is just one of those loopholes in the EPA testing procedure. The 2000-2002 Lincoln LS would not start in 1st gear in manual mode for a similar reason. The way the EPA forced them to do the test with manual mode left the transmission in 4th gear instead of 5th which would have resulted in a gas guzzler penalty so they had to lock out 1st gear under normal acceleration. But the engineers decided to force an immediate downshift to 1st if throttle input > 60%.

I think they need to do away with the gas guzzler tax on individual vehicles - it doesn't discourage anyone from buying such a vehicle, it only forces mfrs to do stupid things.

This would be another good reason to get the V6 manual.

• 5 months later...

I'm not real good at adding links but I can cut and paste.

Over at the GMI Ford discussion site there is a posting referencing an article in 5.0 Mustang & SF magazine that has the following information on the new 6 speed manual. Sounds like a bummer but hopefully there is a work around. See below.

The new MT82 manual is designed by Fords JFT joint venture with Getrag in Germany and built in a four-way joint venture plant in China. It features synchromesh on all gears, including Reverse, even in the six-cylinder version. The engineers tell us it is a slick-shifting unit thanks to ball bearings and pivoting shift forks on the shift rails, and there are positive shift stops inside the gearbox.

The box features a middle bulkhead for much better shaft support and a two-piece housing for reduced driveline bending. All gears are honed or ground, then hard-finished for quiet running. The synthetic lube is fill-for-life. Center distance is 82 mm, an insignificant millimeter closer than the out-going Tremec. Weight is 49 kg (108 pounds), and the torque capacity 375 lb-ft.

There's a bit of bad news: The MT82 Coyote applications feature skip shift. That's where the shifter will only go from First to Fourth if you shift within a certain speed range. Ask any Corvette driver: This is a curse-at-the-moon imposition in the name of fuel economy. :banghead:

According to the 2011 Mustang owner's manual, the skip shift feature in the V8 6MT works as such:

2011_mustang_skipshift.jpg

Is it a coincidence that the 17, 25, and 40 mph shift speeds recommended in skip shift mode happen to be very similar to the shift speeds that the EPA uses for 4-speed manual transmissions (15, 25, and 40 mph)? The non-skip shift speeds happen to be the same as those that the EPA uses for 6-speed manual transmissions, other than 17 versus 15 mph.

Given the engine's power and torque, it would not be surprising if a hypermiler could drive smoothly without lugging shifting at speeds lower than those charts suggest. Of course, a hypermiler is unlikely to buy a 5.0 Mustang... though someone driving in the boonies and trying to make the last few drops of fuel last to the next fuel station may do that.

Edited by tjl

I have a 2011 5-Liter with the MT82 transmission and I have tried to get it to make me use the skip-shift but can't. Not sure if it doesn't have it or if I just drive in a range that doesn't cause it to operate.

Its my understanding it only activates under 25 percent throttle position and between the speeds of 15-17 mpg. Its not easy to defeat either. You must buy a tune to defeat the damn thing. Most people dont have an issue with it and I have read you can force it into 2nd gear if you try. Im just telling you what I have read about it. Its not a simple fix like a Gm car.