superduty power ratings released

Well, considering the trucks are in production............ they had to do something. LOL

That said, I am very happy with my 362hp, and 457lb ft. Thank you. :)

The new diesel will be a monster. If it really gets better mileage than the 6.4, than power to Ford for that one. Especially considering that the 6.4 barely got better mileage than my V10.

Does anybody know why the Raptor makes significantly more power than the SD?

I would guess they are trying to broaden the power band as these trucks will see a lot of actual work towing and hauling heavy loads. Also, there could be some durability or cooling issues that require the lower output. FWIW, Dodge and Chevy also have lower power ratings in their HD applications vs. 1/2 tons.

I have to say I am a little disappointed though in the 6.2 numbers though. Dodge is making almost identical hp and torque numbers from the older, smaller hemi engine. The hemi is even making its peak torque 500 rpm lower than the 6.2. I expect Chevy will also update their gas engine this year so they will also be right in the same ballpark. Of course, peak numbers don't always tell the real story either.

On a related note....I have a buddy that saw his Chevy truck burn up in his driveway (12 year old POS) So, he goes and rents a new Ford F-150 until his insurance company settles up with him. I ask him how he likes the 2010 F-150....he complains to me that he doesn't really like it, I ask him why...his claim??

"It rides like a truck!!!"

:shrug: :headscratch:

Edited by twintornados

Does anybody know why the Raptor makes significantly more power than the SD?

Here's your answer:

The main reason is that when the truck goes over 8,500 pounds [gross vehicle weight rating], the SAE [horsepower and torque] rating method changes," Brewer said. "We can't get the same horsepower and torque out of it [like we can in the F-150].”

The 6.2-liter V-8 in the Super Duty also uses a different camshaft from the light-duty version, which, some may recall, is the same approach Ford uses to make 500 hp in the FR Raptor XT version of the 6.2-liter V-8

Link: http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/02/ford-announces-2011-super-duty-engine-power-towing-and-hauling-numbers.html