light comm'l, medium and heavy news

I don't know where to begin! First, I was shocked to see a 15 page insert in Light & Medium Truck magazine for Ford trucks from Transit Connects to Class 7! They showed among other pics, 4 different bodies on mediums, 4 different bodies on E-series! It seems Ford is in it! Or we can hope! But the E-series push makes me wonder if they will keep them along side the Transits that are supposed to be coming. I see tons of E-series ambulances including the cutaway style which is also used for small school buses and airport limos. These have dual rear wheels and are RWD as we know. Will the new Transit lend itself to these applications? I'm afraid GM could end up with all this segment if Ford does away with the E-series. Tactical Response magazine showed an article with Super Duty and E-series configurations with hydraulic ladders/ramps that can put swat teams up to a window for easy entry into a hostage situation. The E-series appeared to be 4WD! Lenco armored vehicles advertises Ford and Freightliner chassis for their vehicles. By the way I saw a Hino based Brinks armored car; boy was it ugly! The federal govt. is giving out millions to the heavy truck mfrs. to create a super truck that will increase fuel efficiency by 50 percent by 2015. Class 8 mfrs. are teaming up with engine mfrs. to accomplish this. Now that Ford has its own diesel, can they or will they enter class 8 full tilt? With this new diesel under their belt and all they've learned with Peugeot, is Ford ready to come up with a class leading diesel in order to get back into class 8? With Cat out of the highway biz and Paccar reportedly having teamed up with Cummins for their new MX diesel; the Ford/International animosity; the Daimler/Detroit Diesel connection; Volvo/Mack's in-house diesel, Ford would basically be left to fend for itself if they entered class 8!

"I don't know where to begin! ..."

I respectfully suggest you start with paragraphs halo2.gif

First, I was shocked to see a 15 page insert in Light & Medium Truck magazine for Ford trucks from Transit Connects to Class 7! They showed among other pics, 4 different bodies on mediums, 4 different bodies on E-series! It seems Ford is in it! Or we can hope!

But the E-series push makes me wonder if they will keep them along side the Transits that are supposed to be coming.

I see tons of E-series ambulances including the cutaway style which is also used for small school buses and airport limos. These have dual rear wheels and are RWD as we know. Will the new Transit lend itself to these applications? I'm afraid GM could end up with all this segment if Ford does away with the E-series.

Tactical Response magazine showed an article with Super Duty and E-series configurations with hydraulic ladders/ramps that can put swat teams up to a window for easy entry into a hostage situation. The E-series appeared to be 4WD! Lenco armored vehicles advertises Ford and Freightliner chassis for their vehicles. By the way I saw a Hino based Brinks armored car; boy was it ugly!

The federal govt. is giving out millions to the heavy truck mfrs. to create a super truck that will increase fuel efficiency by 50 percent by 2015. Class 8 mfrs. are teaming up with engine mfrs. to accomplish this.

- Now that Ford has its own diesel, can they or will they enter class 8 full tilt?

- With this new diesel under their belt and all they've learned with Peugeot, is Ford ready to come up with a class leading diesel in order to get back into class 8?

With Cat out of the highway biz and Paccar reportedly having teamed up with Cummins for their new MX diesel; the Ford/International animosity; the Daimler/Detroit Diesel connection; Volvo/Mack's in-house diesel, Ford would basically be left to fend for itself if they entered class 8!

I see tons of E-series ambulances including the cutaway style which is also used for small school buses and airport limos.

Almost all of those have diesel engines, which are no longer available. For 2010, the ambulance builder package comes with the gasoline V10.

Worse the new Scorpion diesel will not fit in the E-series !

At least one of my Ford buddies has told me that Ford has no plans to put either the 5.0L or the 6.2L gas V8 in E-series either. Looks like E-series will soldier on with the 2 valve 4.6L, 5.4L V8 and the V10.

Foster coach, who pretty much has the ambulance market sewed up in my parts, had a very nice super duty ambulance at the Chicago show. I really don't understand the whole e-series ambulance thing. What's the advantage? They're really not that much easier to drive. Wouldn't it be nice to have 4x4 as an option? Is it the high load floor?

Foster coach, who pretty much has the ambulance market sewed up in my parts, had a very nice super duty ambulance at the Chicago show. I really don't understand the whole e-series ambulance thing. What's the advantage? They're really not that much easier to drive. Wouldn't it be nice to have 4x4 as an option? Is it the high load floor?

The length. An ambulance made from an E series is shorter than one made on an F series.

Joe,

I don't think you'll see a Ford engine in a class 8- lets just hope that they keep class 6 and 7 going and eventually move back to 8 with a Cummins and who knows what else- John Deere?? As for the 6.7, on paper it certainly has the torque to handle the lower end of class 8 but for now I don't think they even have plans for putting it in 650's- which makes you wonder as the old Power Stroke was offered.

The latest issue of 'Heavy Duty Trucking' has an interesting article about Navistar's expansion plans. Most has been reported before, like the joint engine venture with Caterpillar, Manhindra, and a new class 8 LCF for the refuse industry. The article also outlined Navistar's successful partnerships. It was strange that nowhere was 'Blue Diamond' mentioned.

The latest issue of 'Heavy Duty Trucking' has an interesting article about Navistar's expansion plans. Most has been reported before, like the joint engine venture with Caterpillar, Manhindra, and a new class 8 LCF for the refuse industry. The article also outlined Navistar's successful partnerships. It was strange that nowhere was 'Blue Diamond' mentioned.

It doesn't surprise me that no mention was made of BlueDiamond. I can't imagine they would give Ford two cents worth of publicity in any publication.

As for their relationship with Cat, can you figure that out? Cat I do believe is getting nothing but bad press about not standing in back of what they have on the road now. Plus this so called "construction truck" that International will build for Cat dealers. Good for Navistar- what about their dealers? seems to me they are just watering down the brand. And look at the relative financial strength of the typical Cat dealer vs. a Navistar dealer. No such thing as a small or marginal Cat dealer. If I were an International dealer I would not be drinking the Kool Aid!

It doesn't surprise me that no mention was made of BlueDiamond. I can't imagine they would give Ford two cents worth of publicity in any publication.

As for their relationship with Cat, can you figure that out? Cat I do believe is getting nothing but bad press about not standing in back of what they have on the road now. Plus this so called "construction truck" that International will build for Cat dealers. Good for Navistar- what about their dealers? seems to me they are just watering down the brand. And look at the relative financial strength of the typical Cat dealer vs. a Navistar dealer. No such thing as a small or marginal Cat dealer. If I were an International dealer I would not be drinking the Kool Aid!

No, I can't. Funny thing is International dealers will also have the MAN engines for sale, and I wonder which diesel the dealers will be pushing. The Maxxforce 15 (Cat C-15) will have 'advanced EGR technology', which I hope for International dealer's sake isn't ACCERT!

I saw a sight I haven't seen in over 10 yearsI Two F750's piggy-backed on a third heading east on I-84 in Vernon CT. And paragraphs? We don't need no stinkin' paragraphs!

jOE WHAT COLOR WERE THE 750'S? I just wonder if they were headed up here to the outfit that builds bucket trucks in Lancaster MA. I went by there last week and they had a bunch on units sitting in the yard- no chassis. this is the outfit that did a bunch of Davey Tree 750's a few months ago.

No, I can't. Funny thing is International dealers will also have the MAN engines for sale, and I wonder which diesel the dealers will be pushing. The Maxxforce 15 (Cat C-15) will have 'advanced EGR technology', which I hope for International dealer's sake isn't ACCERT!

Talk about gambling? These guys are out on that limb-not comfortable being odd man. I hope they are right as I'm all for the simple approach to problem solving and as they are still an "American" entity, that is another reason. We shall see

Bob, those F750's were white. Work Truck magazine had a feature article on the new re-styled Hinos. As Bob has predicted and I agreed, Hino is going full speed ahead in class 6 & 7. They're looking to go full vocational with chassis suitable for among others, municipal dumps/plows, utility, and even ambulance! The new grille is a huge improvement over the Joker (Batman) smiling grille. It looks like an attempt to imitate the Ford horizontal bar treatment. Government Product News mag has an awesome pic of an F450 or 550 fire rescue/mini pumper on the cover. I mean this pic is so huge the blue oval is an inch long! Great free advertising! It occurs to me that now that the Ford/Sterling dealers no longer have Sterling AND GM has left the medium biz, that Ford could benefit greatly. But I think they need to get the medium biz back in Kentucky. Maybe we could see some B700 school bus chassis again! You'll never see that as long as International controls the show!

Even with the higher wages in the US, the number of Super Duties rolling off the assembly line should bring about some kind of amortization factor which would lower the costs. I would think anyway. In Firehouse magazine Ford has a two-page ad touting Super Duties, E-series (full van and cutaways) and F-series mediums as rescue and ambulance chassis. I've never seen Ford more serious since the 60's thru early 90's!

International debuted the TerraStar on the NTEA Work Truck Show in St. Louis on Monday. The truck is world class ugly, and it remains to be seen if the MaxxForce 7 (redesigned 6.4L Powerstroke) will be any good. Interestingly, the truck's chassis is based on that of the defunct Ford LCF. With International's strong dealer network, the TerraStar should be a contender if it is a halfway decent truck.

International debuted the TerraStar on the NTEA Work Truck Show in St. Louis on Monday. The truck is world class ugly, and it remains to be seen if the MaxxForce 7 (redesigned 6.4L Powerstroke) will be any good. Interestingly, the truck's chassis is based on that of the defunct Ford LCF. With International's strong dealer network, the TerraStar should be a contender if it is a halfway decent truck.

Based on the LCF and its a conventional?????

• 2 weeks later...

Rumor has it Jac Nassar was at the wheel. James Hebe tried to salvage what was left, but that didn't work out to well.

7M- No way- truck was running too true and straight a line- would have bobbed and weaved if either of those two had anything to do with it- then again as was pointed out -looked like a decent LN, nice dump body, straight bumper, plus motor sounded pretty good- no smoke either- something perfectly good trashed??? You are right- Jac had to be involved!