Escape Trans cooler

Ford just issued a customer satisfaction program 09B10 for certain 2008 escapes.

It covers the leaking trans coolers. So now everyone can stop complaining about it and either go get your 08 escape's cooler inspected and replaced or get a refund if you have already paid for it.

I have to give it to Ford for stepping up and doing this. Plus, the people that said they will never buy a Ford because of this cooler issue can now eat crow.

Better hurry you only have until August 31, 2010

Edited by fordtech1

Ford just issued a customer satisfaction program 09B10 for certain 2008 escapes.

It covers the leaking trans coolers. So now everyone can stop complaining about it and either go get your 08 escape's cooler inspected and replaced or get a refund if you have already paid for it.

I have to give it to Ford for stepping up and doing this. Plus, the people that said they will never buy a Ford because of this cooler issue can now eat crow.

That's a fairly small window of opportunity. People will fall between the cracks.........and still be upset.

That's a fairly small window of opportunity. People will fall between the cracks.........and still be upset.

I agree, so then it comes down to whether or not Ford mails out a notice to those with vehicles affected. Been out of Ford for to long, I can't remember if a "B" program gives notice or not but I'm thinking not.

My parent's have a 2008 Escape. Do you know which ones are affected? They have a 2.3L I4 automatic with AWD.

AFFECTED VEHICLES

Certain 2008 model year Escape and Mariner vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission built

at the Kansas City Assembly Plant from Job #1 through May 9, 2009. Affected vehicles are identified

in OASIS. A list of vehicles assigned to your dealership will be available by March 31, 2010.

I agree, so then it comes down to whether or not Ford mails out a notice to those with vehicles affected. Been out of Ford for to long, I can't remember if a "B" program gives notice or not but I'm thinking not.

OWNER NOTIFICATION MAILING SCHEDULE

Owner letters are expected to begin mailing on March 12, 2010. Dealers should inspect / repair any

affected vehicles that arrive at their dealerships, whether or not the customer has received a letter.

Here is a copy of the TSB.

What are the criteria that dictate whether a defect is a TSB or a recall?

2009-09-02_212821_A1.pdf

Edited by LincolnV

Been out of Ford for to long, I can't remember if a "B" program gives notice or not but I'm thinking not.

Owner letters are expected to begin mailing on March 12, 2010. Dealers should inspect / repair any

affected vehicles that arrive at their dealerships, whether or not the customer has received a letter.

Thank you.

AFFECTED VEHICLES

Certain 2008 model year Escape and Mariner vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission built

at the Kansas City Assembly Plant from Job #1 through May 9, 2009. Affected vehicles are identified

in OASIS. A list of vehicles assigned to your dealership will be available by March 31, 2010.

Here is a copy of the TSB.

What are the criteria that dictate whether a defect is a TSB or a recall?

Interesting. Thanks for the info. Looks like their Escape is effected. They took delivery in February of 2008.

And LincolnV, I think the difference between a TSB and a recall is that a recall is issued when there is a distinct safety issue, e.g. runaway Toyotas. While a leaky transmission cooler isn't a good thing, it probably isn't particularly dangerous. If people start saying their Escapes start on fire as a result of it, then you may get a recall.

Edited by MN12Fan

Interesting. Thanks for the info. Looks like their Escape is effected. They took delivery in February of 2008.

And LincolnV, I think the difference between a TSB and a recall is that a recall is issued when there is a distinct safety issue, e.g. runaway Toyotas. While a leaky transmission cooler isn't a good thing, it probably isn't particularly dangerous. If people start saying their Escapes start on fire as a result of it, then you may get a recall.

OASIS was to have been activated for this program on 03-05-2010 but I just ran one for a 2008 Escape AWD with a build date of 05-19-2008 and it does not show the 09B10 open. At this point, I would have your parents wait at least a week until they contact their preferred Ford/Lincoln/Mercury dealer for more information. Also, Ford expects a small percentage of vehicles will require transmission fluid cooler replacement and will initially require the cooler to be ordered through the Special Service Support Center. Finally, this is a "Customer Satisfaction Program"; Compliance, Safety & Emissions Recalls generally do not have an expiration date.

OASIS was to have been activated for this program on 03-05-2010 but I just ran one for a 2008 Escape AWD with a build date of 05-19-2008 and it does not show the 09B10 open. At this point, I would have your parents wait at least a week until they contact their preferred Ford/Lincoln/Mercury dealer for more information. Also, Ford expects a small percentage of vehicles will require transmission fluid cooler replacement and will initially require the cooler to be ordered through the Special Service Support Center. Finally, this is a "Customer Satisfaction Program"; Compliance, Safety & Emissions Recalls generally do not have an expiration date.

No problem. I told my dad about it and mentioned that he might get a letter confirming the situation so there's no rush. My parents have a good year and 15,000 miles left on their bumper-to-bumper warranty too. Do you know if this leak is supposed to be pretty obvious? Their driveway's always been dry as far as I've seen and I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary when I've gone under their vehicle for oil changes.

Hmmm. I asked my dealer about this several weeks ago, and they were aware of the issue but hadn't seen any yet. They told me they really wouldn't know there was a problem until it was broken... so what exactly is this program going to 'inspect and replace' if it's not broken YET? Does this acknowledgement extend any warranty protection??

Hmmm. I asked my dealer about this several weeks ago, and they were aware of the issue but hadn't seen any yet. They told me they really wouldn't know there was a problem until it was broken... so what exactly is this program going to 'inspect and replace' if it's not broken YET? Does this acknowledgement extend any warranty protection??

What it does is inspect the cooler for leaks. If its leaking they replace it. If its not leaking the existing bracket is cut off and a new one with a rubber grommet is installed to reduce the stress and vibration on the cooler to keep it from leaking.

What it does is inspect the cooler for leaks. If its leaking they replace it. If its not leaking the existing bracket is cut off and a new one with a rubber grommet is installed to reduce the stress and vibration on the cooler to keep it from leaking.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll be taking in it...

• 2 weeks later...

My cooler has been leaking for several months. After seeing this I called my dealer and they told me they had nothing about this in their system. If you could direct me to where I can find information to take to them that would be great

My cooler has been leaking for several months. After seeing this I called my dealer and they told me they had nothing about this in their system. If you could direct me to where I can find information to take to them that would be great

Its Program number 09B10. They can run your vin number and will see it on OASIS.

I had this problem on my truck and definitely noticed a difference in shift routine because of it, but didn't realize until I was informed during a routine oil change visit that the trans cooler is leaking and I was a quart low on fluid. I surely hope the trans itself wasn't effected during this low fluid condition. Ford replaced the cooler under warranty and added fluid. I requested they service the trans (replacing filter and fluid) but I was denied that service as not covered by warranty.

Exactly the info I was looking for on this program.

• 3 weeks later...

I looked at that TSB. Can anyone explain were it states parts and labor are covred and were is the mentioned cut off date?

Do dealers have to honor TSB? I have had past experience were dealers have lied about TBS existing but that was before the net had so much community. I thought one said that even if their is a TSB it is not a recall so it does not have to be be fixed by them Thus why I asked where it states that Ford covers parts and labor on this issue.

I am assuming a automatic FWD 08 put on the road in Jan 08 is a CD4E trans right?

If it is not leaking at 34K and I try to bring it in, I do not see where that TSB says to change the bracket. How would I know if they actual do work. What happens if after I bring it in with no leaks but starts in the range people are getting the leaks (31-56k) if they are only having the program to August 2010?

Thanks for any input to be sure I am stuck with the cost of their mistakes.

I looked at that TSB. Can anyone explain were it states parts and labor are covered and were is the mentioned cut off date?

Do dealers have to honor TSB? I have had past experience were dealers have lied about TBS existing but that was before the net had so much community. I thought one said that even if their is a TSB it is not a recall so it does not have to be be fixed by them Thus why I asked where it states that Ford covers parts and labor on this issue.

I am assuming a automatic FWD 08 put on the road in Jan 08 is a CD4E trans right?

If it is not leaking at 34K and I try to bring it in, I do not see where that TSB says to change the bracket. How would I know if they actual do work. What happens if after I bring it in with no leaks but starts in the range people are getting the leaks (31-56k) if they are only having the program to August 2010?

Thanks for any input to be sure I am stuck with the cost of their mistakes.

A tsb ( Technical Service Bulletin ) is not a recall it is simply the recommended repair procedure for a specific concern, it will be covered under warranty only if the vehicle in question is still within it's warranty time and mileage.

• 1 month later...