Toyota points a finger at Detroit

TomServo92

Link

What Toyota did was send a graph of recent recalls and safety complaints to certain Congressional reps on important committees. That graph showed that the Detroit Three have led the way when it comes to recalls and safety issues, posting three times the number of issues seen at Toyota. The problem: Toyota is being questioned about its transparency and commitment, not about how many cars have been recalled and how that might compare to other automakers.

Some people just can't seem to grasp that this is the real issue, not the recall itself.

• Like 1

Okay, so the Big 3 have had recalls, which they took care of. So what, they found a problem and corrected it.

The issue I see based on information released, is Toyota has not been honest in their recalls, err service campaigns, and did not act appropriately when a problem came about.

So who's to say Toyota wouldn't be equal or near the recall numbers of the Big 3, had they not sat on defects, blamed them on the consumer, or replaced defective parts without the owners knowledge while vehicles were in for service?

Heck, we have 8.5 million vehicles under this recall. How many Tacoma and Tundra's were recently recalled. And the Prius recall. Can't remember if they just recalled the Corolla or not, but it's at least being investigated. Too me, the recalls they failed to issue over the last decade or so, are now coming back to bite them in the rear.

Personally I think those recall numbers are skewed since Toyota has failed to recall vehicles in the past and referred to them as service campaigns.

Edited by V8-X

Link

Some people just can't seem to grasp that this is the real issue, not the recall itself.

This tactic will work, politicians & kids use it all the time. It's like when my kids are fighting with each other, they always say, "well he/she hit me first". Toyota is using the same logic. Congress says we don't like how Toyota is not being transparent about their recalls & Toyota says, "well we still have less recalls than Ford/GM/Chrysler, so who cares". The car buying public will again give Toyota a free pass, you watch. Ask somebody you know that owns a Toyota if they are concerned about Toyota's safety, I bet it won't take long for them to say, "well at least they haven't recalled as many cars as Ford has"...

This tactic will work, politicians & kids use it all the time. It's like when my kids are fighting with each other, they always say, "well he/she hit me first". Toyota is using the same logic. Congress says we don't like how Toyota is not being transparent about their recalls & Toyota says, "well we still have less recalls than Ford/GM/Chrysler, so who cares". The car buying public will again give Toyota a free pass, you watch. Ask somebody you know that owns a Toyota if they are concerned about Toyota's safety, I bet it won't take long for them to say, "well at least they haven't recalled as many cars as Ford has"...

So you are comparing Toyota to kids and politicians?

Yeah, sounds about right! :hysterical:

It won't work if people keep reporting incidents of SUA and especially not if there are any more deaths.

The first thing you do when faced with an unknown cause of a serious problem is you try to mitigate the damage when it does occur giving you more time to find the root cause of the problem. They should be deploying brake override software updates as fast as possible - and taking steps to gather more information when a SUA incident does occur. As long as hitting the brakes kills the throttle then that would eliminate the serious accidents and most of the minor ones. But continuing to say that something isn't possible just because their engineers haven't been able to reproduce it is just stupid.

Then again, the Japanese government paid my company a lot of money back in the 90s for some really simple software. Software engineering is not their strong suit.