Ford to reveal details of new Interceptor this Friday at Las Vegas

IMHO there are 2 misses

• Did not stretch current wheelbase. This would add more front and rear leg room as well as provide a platform for the MKS to help delineate it from the Taurus.
  • Did not make the 3.7L V6 the "standard" engine. With the 3.5L this vehicle will not be intercepting any high performance vehicles !

Bigger engines are not necessary - As Elwood Blues would say "you can't outrun a Motorola"

a retail version of the Caprice will be avalible again around as the Caprice PPV goes on sale

source?

---

The EB Interceptor will be faster than the Caprice, will handle better than the Caprice, and will be safer than the Caprice.

But, by all means, continue to brag about RWD.

IMHO there are 2 misses

• Did not stretch current wheelbase. This would add more front and rear leg room as well as provide a platform for the MKS to help delineate it from the Taurus.
  • Did not make the 3.7L V6 the "standard" engine. With the 3.5L this vehicle will not be intercepting any high performance vehicles !

Doesn't the 3.5 already have more HP than the CVPI? I'm sure it will at least keep up with the CVPI. If that is not enough, then that's what the EB is for!

Edited by fordmantpw

Bigger engines are not necessary - As Elwood Blues would say "you can't outrun a Motorola"

personally i think it speaks highly of the 3.5 and ecos durability....always said the 3.5 is a great engine, think it would have made the grade in a PI unit if it wasnt?....hell, I'm gonna LOVE telling prospective customers that the drivetrain is under the hood of the local PD cars....thats a Gold medal in perception

I noticed they said the base 3.5 V6 will produce at least 263hp, which is the current Taurus rating. However, I suspect that by the time this goes into production, the TiVCT 3.5 shown in the new Edge (285hp) will probably be used. Out accellerating the CV shouldn't be a problem.

personally i think it speaks highly of the 3.5 and ecos durability....

I'm from Missouri ...

I think Ecoboost durability, especially in a PI application, needs a few years of real world durability validation.

I will tell you one thing, the mechanics will complain about the tight underhood packaging of those twin turbos !

All the MKS sheetmetal is unique now. What you're suggesting is a step backwards. And I don't think the MKS needs to be longer either. I think the interior space could be arranged better.

Speaking of interior arrangement, I wonder if Ford made any changes to the rear seats to address the concern about the rear not being big enough? Could they make the cushions or seatbacks any smaller (i.e. thinner/shorter/less comfortable) to gain a few inches of leg room? I would think it would be a fair trade off for the back seat of a police car.

I'm from Missouri ...

I think Ecoboost durability, especially in a PI application, needs a few years of real world durability validation.

I will tell you one thing, the mechanics will complain about the tight underhood packaging of those twin turbos !

sure going to make the high speed pursuits riveting though.....and agreed....I dont thisnk the Minicipality backyard mechanics will deal....more bidnit for the dealers though....a GOOD thing

Speaking of interior arrangement, I wonder if Ford made any changes to the rear seats to address the concern about the rear not being big enough? Could they make the cushions or seatbacks any smaller (i.e. thinner/shorter/less comfortable) to gain a few inches of leg room? I would think it would be a fair trade off for the back seat of a police car.

article states just that, and also doors that open wider....

article states just that, and also doors that open wider....

touche

The vinyl seats are specially sculpted and set back to improve second-row space and maximize legroom. The back door hinges are modified to open up another 10 degrees versus traditional rear doors.

sure going to make the high speed pursuits riveting though.....and agreed....I dont thisnk the Minicipality backyard mechanics will deal....more bidnit for the dealers though....a GOOD thing

The city my son-in-law works for (not far from Dearborn) outsources a lot of work to private garages. Dealers are too expensive.

I would love to get some first-hand feedback from him regarding the interior, especially since he is a beefy 6'4" !

The city my son-in-law works for (not far from Dearborn) outsources a lot of work to private garages. Dealers are too expensive.

I would love to get some first-hand feedback from him regarding the interior, especially since he is a beefy 6'4" !

they do a lot of monr stuff on site, the major stuff ends up here....

Resale isn't going to plummet on SHOs because ex-cop cars are going to be 'flooding the market'.

We'll see about that. I highly doubt that somebody is going to plunk down top dollar for a Taurus Limited or SHO when a teenager drives by in a beat-up ex police Interceptor jamming his stereo.

Perception is everything. If it wasn't, Toyota, Honda, Lexus, etc would be chasing after this market.

Ford would have been better to just let it go. Mulally has 'jumped the shark' and now needs to be shown the door. Everything he wanted from the re-birth and redesign from the Taurus has now been wasted.

We'll see about that. I highly doubt that somebody is going to plunk down top dollar for a Taurus Limited or SHO when a teenager drives by in a beat-up ex police Interceptor jamming his stereo.

Perception is everything. If it wasn't, Toyota, Honda, Lexus, etc would be chasing after this market.

Ford would have been better to just let it go. Mulally has 'jumped the shark' and now needs to be shown the door. Everything he wanted from the re-birth and redesign from the Taurus has now been wasted.

I dis-agree completely....and thats 5 years down the road before anyone gets their hands on an Interceptor at an auction, and food for thought....by then there will have been a SERIOUS GLOBALchange to the Taurus.....and perhaps THIS version will soldier on ala CV specifically just for the PD's.....