Ford to reveal details of new Interceptor this Friday at Las Vegas

Gotcha, and I'd have to agree - I can't remember any other flex-fuel application on the 3.5 to this point.

The 3.0L became flex-fuel in the Fusion for 2010 but I don't remember any flex-fuel 3.5L or 3.7L engines up to this point. I can see why they'd want that for municipal use though.

100% with you there. You don't put your flagship vehicle out to fleet.

If Ford redid the chassis, interior and powertrain to the CV, changed the name and put it back on the retail market, would that make it suddenly desireable to the masses? No, people will still look at it as a "cop car". It doesn't matter how nice it is. The stigma will drag the rest down. How much? I don't know. But it will have effects.

Well it sure didn't hurt the Mustang's Image in the 1980s did it?

Anyways, with all this complaining....why make 25K Taurus if its going to drag down the cashe of the SHO? :rolleyes:

The Taurus already has/had a negative connotation as a rental queen, and that hasn't really changed yet...

The 3.0L became flex-fuel in the Fusion for 2010 but I don't remember any flex-fuel 3.5L or 3.7L engines up to this point. I can see why they'd want that for municipal use though.

Well, I know all the new CVPIs are Flex Fuel capable, as evident by the badge now affixed to their trunk lids. Perhaps it's mainly just to portray a green image?

Well, I know all the new CVPIs are Flex Fuel capable, as evident by the badge now affixed to their trunk lids. Perhaps it's mainly just to portray a green image?

Flex Fuel must be a big deal for Southern states. Got to do something with that 'shine that they confiscate !

Edited by theoldwizard

source?

---

The EB Interceptor will be faster than the Caprice, will handle better than the Caprice, and will be safer than the Caprice.

But, by all means, continue to brag about RWD.

source?

Check out some GM sites somestimes,

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f60/rumormill-holden-based-rwd-2012-chevy-ss-coming-after-all-86188/

The EB Interceptor will be faster than the Caprice, will handle better than the Caprice, and will be safer than the Caprice

LOL, the SHO got murder by the G8 in all tests while weighing 200 lbs less with better F/E.

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2009/06/il-track-tested-2010-ford-taurus-sho-vs-pontiac-g8-gt.html?mktcat=enabler&AID=10364102&PID=3179980&kw=N&synpartner=edmunds&mktid=cj260233

What make you think that Ford magic just appear to do all that you say to the Caprice but can't dust a G8?.

No the PD's will, not me.

Anyways, with all this complaining....why make 25K Taurus if its going to drag down the cashe of the SHO? :rolleyes:

The Taurus already has/had a negative connotation as a rental queen, and that hasn't really changed yet...

The Mustang was a limited pursuit model with Highway Patrol agencies all around the US. It was NOT the main patrol car. They weren't all that common back in the day. I wouldn't have a problem with a limited production SHO SSP model. It would keep the numbers limited and not tarnish the image the way that using them as regular patrol units will. The negative connotation of the rental queen Taurus is something that they should do everything in their power to leave behind. They went through the trouble to make a GREAT car, and now eventually, you will see that same car in an episode of COPS with a crackhead in the back seat.

I don't even have a problem with it being based off of the D3 platform. Some different front sheetmetal would have been nice to change it up some would have been nice. A new grille and front bumper don't make it a different car. It is not cheap to make such a change, but something could have been done. I do like the mesh grille more than the three bar model.

BTW, you have it backwards. The 25K Taurus isn't bringing down the cache of the SHO, the SHO is bringing UP the cred of the base Taurus. The cop car aspect will bring down the cache of the brand as a whole though. I love the new Taurus and it is finally catching on in SoCal. I see at least one new Taurus a day out here now. Don't screw it up Ford!

Edited by Sixt9coug

So after 6 months or so they should just say F-it and give up. Maybe its time to flood Hertz and Avis as well.

The special service Mustangs reason for existing was to provide a high performance option to law enforcement. This image of being the bad ass mofo of police cars didn't contradict the performance image the Mustang was presenting.

source?

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f60/rumormill-holden-based-rwd-2012-chevy-ss-coming-after-all-86188/

The EB Interceptor will be faster than the Caprice, will handle better than the Caprice, and will be safer than the Caprice

LOL, the SHO got murder by the G8 in all tests while weighing 200 lbs less with better F/E.

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2009/06/il-track-tested-2010-ford-taurus-sho-vs-pontiac-g8-gt.html?mktcat=enabler&AID=10364102&PID=3179980&kw=N&synpartner=edmunds&mktid=cj260233

What make you think that Ford magic just appear to do all that you say to the Caprice but can't dust a G8?.

please, do re-read and underline whom helped DEVELOP the cars to THEIR SPECIFIC needs and necessities.....oh and add some snow and ice...

Edited by Deanh

What?

WHAT?

You think this is rolling out the door with BLIS, etc.?

It's getting some unique parts, and a CHEAPER interior.

And what the heck is so complicated about the 3.5L V6 + 6 speed auto?

The new vehicle also features:

BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System): The system uses two radar sensors located in the rear quarter panels to detect vehicles in the surrounding lanes. If a vehicle enters the driver’s blind-spot zones, the system alerts the driver with a warning light in the side-view mirror.

Cross Traffic Alert: This system uses the existing BLIS radar modules to sense oncoming traffic when slowly backing out of a parking spot. This industry-exclusive system functions only while the vehicle is in reverse and warns when cross-traffic appears within three car-widths.

Rear View Camera System: When the vehicle is in rear camera mode, a color image with guidance markers on the rear view mirror will assist the driver in backing up.

Reverse Sensing System: An audible tone will alert the driver to certain objects up to 6 feet behind the vehicle.

Standard AdvanceTrac® ESC (electronic stability control): This helps maintain the intended path by measuring side-to-side yaw, or skidding, by the vehicle’s speed, throttle position and steering wheel angle. When wheel slip is sensed, AdvanceTrac reduces engine torque and applies selected brakes.

Ford SYNC®: The Ford-exclusive, hands-free information system has the potential to be customized and remapped to work specifically with police aftermarket equipment such as lights and sirens, allowing officers to focus on the task at hand.

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=32207

Did you just provide a link to an anonymous and unofficial fan site as a 'source'? You're kidding me, right?

LOL yourself. The non-performance pack SHO vs. the performance pack G8.

The G8 with PERFORMANCE tires barely edged out the ALL-SEASON TIRE EQUIPPED NON-PERFORMANCE PACK SHO.

Tires, buddy, tires.

Those PPV Caprices are going to be running some pretty hard all-season treaded high rolling resistance tires.

You put comparable rubber under the SHO, and comparable springs/brakes (which the PI has), and it beats the G8--which is rated at more hp than the Caprice.

source?

http://www.gminsiden...fter-all-86188/

http://blogs.insidel...&mktid=cj260233

The Caprice is a lot different to the Pontiac G8 you saw in North America,

it's much heavier and has a 4" longer wheelbase so the handling is less than what was achieved with the G8.

The Caprice is also fitted with the 350 hp AFM engine which typically gives 0-100 kph in the mid 6 second area

and the SIDI 3.6 version is a lot slower, very close to the Taurus FWD.....

In a shoot out I expect that:

- V6 Taurus PI would be line ball in performance/handling with and V6 Caprice but much better in the snow.

- In all instances where road grip is less than perfect, the Ecoboost PI will out perform the RWD V8 Caprice.

We still have our RWD Falcons and Commodores in Australia and they make great patrol cars but we don't have the severe winter climate experienced by the Northern states and Canada. That has to be a major weighing factor given the population distribution in those areas...

I think Ford NA realizes that the Panther domination of police sales is coming to an end and that LEV will be divided between Ford, GM and Chrysler. It sounds like Ford have circled the major portion of LEV sales with the PI and coming Explorer variant and are happy to concede any vehicle applications that fall outside those parameters. So if it's the plan to consolidate about 30,000 or 40,000 LEV sales onto D3 then maybe Ford feels that the contribution of Grand Marquis and Town car can be covered by other products either locally or imported.....

Edited by jpd80

The Caprice is a lot different to the Pontiac G8 you saw in North America,

it's much heavier and has a 4" longer wheelbase so the handling is less than what was achieved with the G8.

The Caprice is also fitted with the 350 hp AFM engine which typically gives 0-100 kph in the mid 6 second area

and the SIDI 3.6 version is a lot slower, very close to the Taurus FWD.....

In a shoot out I expect that:

- V6 Taurus PI would be line ball in performance/handling with and V6 Caprice but much better in the snow.

- In all instances where road grip is less than perfect, the Ecoboost PI will out perform the RWD V8 Caprice.

We still have our RWD Falcons and Commodores in Australia and they make great patrol cars but we don't have the severe winter climate experienced by the Northern states and Canada. That has to be a major weighing factor given the population distribution in those areas...

and the weather forcast in Sydney today is BLOODY hot, with a scent of burning Eucalyptus and lines of hitch hiking Koalas with singed feet bludging water from people stupid enough to be cycling...

Ford knows what they are doing, better than anybody. I know this is the best PI out there. And it's funny that everybody has neglected the whole AWD feature, PDs will love that.

Where I live AWD would be great. Many departments in the Northern states can replace 4x4 SUV's that are not very fuel efficient with an AWD passenger car.

Why do some people think that just because the old W-body FWD Impala has not held up well in some applications the new D3 based Interceptor won't? The D3 chassis is a MUCH more rugged chassis then the flimsy old GM W-body. I don't think you can judge this car based on other FWD cars that have been used by Police Departments. The Volvo based chassis is not weak by any means. If the FWD components are really beefed up (and you know they will be) I think this new Interceptor might be a very good cruiser.

Edited by 2005Explorer

and the weather forcast in Sydney today is BLOODY hot, with a scent of burning Eucalyptus and lines of hitch hiking Koalas with singed feet bludging water from people stupid enough to be cycling...

Without being nasty to GM and the Caprice LEV, I think that importing from Australia is a bridge too far. If GM were to build it alongside the Camaro in Oshawa, I think it could work. Unfortunately, the Caprice package is dependant on supply of Australian developed police accessories and communication electronics so I doubt manufacturing could easily be be transferred to Canada.

A lot of the Caprice RWD thrust is wrapped up in GM refusal to accept that they missed the market in North America and they continue to revisit the same folly over and over. The problem is not the cars, the problem is the people in charge...

Without being nasty to GM and the Caprice LEV, I think that importing from Australia is a bridge too far. If GM were to build it alongside the Camaro in Oshawa, I think it could work. Unfortunately, the Caprice package is dependant on supply of Australian developed police accessories and communication electronics so I doubt manufacturing could easily be be transferred to Canada.

A lot of the Caprice RWD thrust is wrapped up in GM refusal to accept that they missed the market in North America and they continue to revisit the same folly over and over. The problem is not the cars, the problem is the people in charge...

on the $...and revisit, and revisit and revisit....some hints are obviously harder to fathom....

That dog won't hunt! Only way this Taurus Police 'Interceptor' will be a success is if there is not an RWD alternative, period. Busts me up how some around changed their tune when they found out Ford was going to replace the Crown Vic with a Taurus. Like that was a surprise.

While logic dictated that the new PI would be the Taurus, the hype Ford was slinging made me hopeful for something ... more. I had hoped "heavily revised" would mean "converted to RWD" or "an updated Panther."

The NA 3.5L will get an upgrade soon in some models bringing HP up to 285. Then there's the new 3.7L with 305HP. I'm hoping the PI gets at least the former as the cost of the TT EB will likely prevent most agencies from opting for it. I'm very surprised that the EB TT 3.5L will be optional - very surprised due to its complexity and cost. I'm hoping AWD will be optional on the NA engine, too, as FWD just hasn't worked for many agencies. When we had both types of police cars in our fleet, officers used to the dynamics of the RWD Fordsoften had accidents with the FWD Chevys in emergency driving; the dynamics are different. The Chevy Caprice has a real opportunity here to steal the market away from Ford as long as the 9C1 is priced competitively with the CVPI this fall. When the new TPI finally comes out next year, Chevy will be adding a higher HP NA V6, which may bring its cost down a bit while offering better fuel economy and handling. I also think that there are many of us who drove and loved the LT1 Caprices in the mid '90s that are now in positions to make the decisions about what vehicles will be purchased. While the old and new Caprices share nothing in the way of parts, the over all similar look and layout will entice many to go back to Chevy especially if the Ford is FWD-based - again, IF Chevy keeps costs reasonable. Dodge? They seem to have missed the mark, but they do have a new Charger coming out; we'll see.

Competition has truly improved the breed.

Did you just provide a link to an anonymous and unofficial fan site as a 'source'? You're kidding me, right?

And this is an official Ford site?, what do you think how future car info get around now?, a CIA meeting, a can and a wire?, the bartender at the Irish pub?. Many people here said the P.I. is a Taurus and "well what do ya know"...

LOL yourself. The non-performance pack SHO vs. the performance pack G8.

The G8 with PERFORMANCE tires barely edged out the ALL-SEASON TIRE EQUIPPED NON-PERFORMANCE PACK SHO.

Oh yea don't forget to tell the fleet manager that he'll need to get the performance pack with AWD, TT's for a highway interceptor (not to mention the cost to fix the awd and the turbo system) or he'll just order a v-8, rwd Charger/Caprice and just be fine.

Tires, buddy, tires.

Those PPV Caprices are going to be running some pretty hard all-season treaded high rolling resistance tires.

You put comparable rubber under the SHO, and comparable springs/brakes (which the PI has), and it beats the G8--which is rated at more hp than the Caprice.

Again Ford have the burden that the letters P.I. is better then the 3 C's (Caprice/Charger/Carbon) throw all the info you want I would'nt wanta be a Ford's fleet marketing member now but one things for sure, the Impala's toast

[/quote.]