2012 Ford Explorer

Thinking out loud here.....

Ford trio of 8 passenger CUV's

Ford Explorer --- appeals to the sporty "outdoors-y" types

Mercury Messenger (formerly Ford Flex) --- touches base with the urban upscale person that needs maximum room and style that knocks the PTA into the weeds

Lincoln MKT --- the ultimate in style and over the road comfort that sets the stage for traveling with panache

All three as different as can be, reaching out to different segments of the population, yet similar under the "top hat"

Edited by twintornados

It's Hoonday -- we're just misspelling, not mispronouncing. (that's 'oo' as in book, not as in soon)

:P :P :P

:devil:

Wrong!!! It is pronounced as "High-yun-day"...ask any appalachian mountain dweller....and when you check in the trunk, you will find their favorite chainsaw...a Pooooolan.

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Edited by twintornados

Mercury Messenger (formerly Ford Flex) --- touches base with the urban upscale person that needs maximum room and style that knocks the PTA into the weeds

Lincoln MKT --- the ultimate in style and over the road comfort that sets the stage for traveling with panache

All three as different as can be, reaching out to different segments of the population, yet similar under the "top hat"

Only three vehicles Ford offers that carry eight passengers, and none of them are CUV's.

Expedition

Navigator

E-Series

Ford's CUV's do not have enough room for a three-seat third row, and I don't see a front bench seat coming anytime soon.

Edited by Pioneer

• 2 weeks later...

Only three vehicles Ford offers that carry eight passengers, and none of them are CUV's.

Expedition

Navigator

E-Series

Ford's CUV's do not have enough room for a three-seat third row, and I don't see a front bench seat coming anytime soon.

Do we know yet if the new Explorer will be a 7 (2+3+2) or 8 (2+3+3) passenger vehicle?

Do we know yet if the new Explorer will be a 7 (2+3+2) or 8 (2+3+3) passenger vehicle?

I would assume 7. How many people truly need an 8 passenger vehicle anyway? If you do, anything smaller than a fullsize SUV or van probably isn't going to serve your needs very well.

Expedition

Navigator

E-Series

seriously...which manufacturer does?

Trying to reserve judgment, but right now from these spy photo's, I'm not feeling it. The front clip looks too Chevy SUV while the profile looks way too much like my brother Freestyle. Not only am I disappointed that it's not BOF (which many don't care either way), but now I'm disappointed in the style they've gone with the Explorer. Double whammy in my book. Oh and FWD or AWD only, make that a triple whammy!

As for the Honda Pilot, I don't mind it and seeing it in person, I appreciate it more. It's like seeing the MKT for real as well.

I'm sorry, but the Pilot is just as ugly in photo's as it is in person. And the MKT is only slightly better looking in person than photo, but is still damn ugly in my book.

Had some free time at work this morning to clean up one of the pictures in PS.

post-6726-12696216621864_thumb.jpg

Too much Freestyle/Taurus X.

With A-pillar blacked out.

post-6726-12696223102451_thumb.jpg

Didn't help.

Front quarter view.

Quick paint of bumper, added side view mirrors, quick chrome job on the grille and added ford badge.

post-6726-12696330895105_thumb.jpg

Edit, forgot to paint the A-pillar...fixed.

Still not feeling it.

Too bad what we see of the Explorer, so far it isn't appealing and neither is the MKT. Guess only the Flex (Messenger) has class and good styling.

Of course these are my personal opinions. I'll wait until the final product is released to make a final judgment. But as of right now, this will be a huge flop. Looks like a Freestyle profile merged with a Chevy SUV front clip. Oh and those thinking it looks like an LR, you must have great eyes or imagination, cause I can't see it one bit and I kind of like the LR.

Edited by V8-X

seriously...which manufacturer does?

The Pilot and Lambdas have three seatbelts in the back row.

Hiproom on the Traverse, however, is 48 inches. That's Ford Fiesta sized. In other words, it's seating for three in sort of the same way that the Porsche 911 & Mustang offer seating for four.

I would assume 7. How many people truly need an 8 passenger vehicle anyway? If you do, anything smaller than a fullsize SUV or van probably isn't going to serve your needs very well.

Not many need one, but some people (like myself) would like to have an 8 seater (which is why we have an Expedition) to be able to haul around extra kids when need be. Ford not having an available 8 seater smaller than the Expedition/E-Series will hurt them. How much? I don't know. What I do know is that only Ford nuts like me will spend $40K on an Expedition EL when they want an 8 passenger vehicle. Others will look at the Traverse, Acadia, Pilot, Odyssey, Sienna, Caravan, etc. Many other manufacturers offer 8 passengers vehicles with highway MPG ratings greater than 20, Ford does not. IMHO, I think that's a mistake. Many people in the market for an 8 passenger vehicle are not planning on putting adults in the 3rd row. If they were, no one would buy anything smaller than an Expedition EL, E-Series, Suburban, etc. If this new Explorer is supposed to be a Traverse, Acadia, Pilot, etc. competitor, it really needs a 3 wide 3rd row, even if it is tight.

So should the New Explorer... :)

I would prefer comfort for 7 than misery for 8. I guess that's just me though.

How about both? A standard 2 wide 3rd row with an optional 3 wide 3rd row (make it part of a family package with multiple DVD screens or something)? I could live with that.

Otherwise, Honda & GM will exploit the fact that Explorer is a 7 seater and the Lambda & Pilot are 8 seaters. I can hear Howie Long now, "Little Jimmy can't come along in the new Explorer because he can't fit, maybe his parents should have bought a Traverse..." :)

Hiproom on the Traverse, however, is 48 inches. That's Ford Fiesta sized. In other words, it's seating for three in sort of the same way that the Porsche 911 & Mustang offer seating for four.

and those two vehicles are perfect for transporting participants to the local Midget Tossing event........reality is if COMFORT for 7 or more is a precedent, for ADULTS or larger occupants then the ONLY way to go is Expedition/ tahoe/ suburban or the like....

I'm still hoping for a full-time AWD lock mode.

I was thinking that would be an easy move (software) that would help set it apart from the other CUVs. I also think a 3rd row will be optional but there is no way it will fit more than 2. You really need a full sized chassis to seat 8.