New Ranger or lost buyers what does Ford want ??

gafry

The fact that Ford starts the Ranger at $17,800 and Tacoma begins at

$15,000 tells me the day of Ford pursuing empty sales are gone,

Mulally is asserting that every vehicle sold will make a profit.

Euro Ranger "Absolutely Awesome" very expensive to buy, Thai made (Not interested one bit because of where it is made built on the cheap for peanuts, but costs the earth to buy should be sold cheaper than US Rangers), Aussie designed absolutely awesome simply the best..

Gotta say l can't believe how FOE can sell you a Mondeo large car cheaper than a lower ranged Focus in the UK, and the Mondeo is built by Brussel sproughts as well who are one of the highest paid in the world Ford must be losing massive amounts of money on every Mondeo it makes or at the best a very very small profit that l can't see myself as they are very much a fleet/rentals car queen in Europe.

2010-ford-ranger-1.jpg

Europe's Ford Ranger is an outstanding it is absolutely superb with few faults you can nit pick at it better than everything else & very practical, its UK diesels only range are very durable, return excellent MPG, but a little bit noisy being the only nit pick compared to others.

Its a shame its not made by an Aussie, European or American l find it very hard to send hard earned cash to somebody in Thailand. You would not mind if you reaped the benefits from the savings from having the Thai Ranger being built at a cheap n' chearful location but we don't get the cheap price Americans pay for their Rangers our Wildtrack will set you back a $38,744 why such a rip off price compared to the US rangers? Thai production line workers must be getting paid peanuts.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

So you want something that can fit a couple of dogs and can tow it behind a motor home? Buy a Taurus.

You see that is exactly what I mean. It is a closed mind that causes lost sales.....You are entitled to your opinion but I already have a Focus that also can handle two dogs and an Lincoln LS-V8 Ultimate as well as an F350 diesel dually that all can handle a couple of dogs why would I want a Taurus??? Even the Motorhome is on a Ford chassis with a 460 lugging it around. So what sits here on our lot is 200K of Ford products and it pains me that I cannot find what I need at Ford. I want to replace the Focus with a small truck and a ranger is the ideal size and offers utility to do grocery and small lumber yard shopping. I also do not need it loaded with options out to God knowswhere. As far as I am concerned they can drop it cold turkey since what they make now does not suit my needs so I will go elsewhere.

You however, can take your advice and do that which you should. Buy a Taurus and tow your Mustang with it.

Oh I did own mustangs as well, a 1965 with a 302 and a 67 also with a 302 and four on the floor....both bought new...so have been a Ford person for a long long time but OK to suit you I'll go elswwhere since your advice is a tad lacking.

Edited by Vaquero28

Right, and GM has been the perfect example of an efficient company... :shades:

The point is that if Ford can market every conceivable iteration of a CUV/SUV surely they can find a way to build two different size trucks.

GM and Ford are both in similar situations in that they make their money off SUVs and full size trucks.

Both lost money on cars until recently.

what is wrong with continually shortening your product line is that market share gets lost with each model shut down. .

I guess you don't know how to read because this is EXACTLY WHAT THE F*** FORD IS DOING!!!!!

Alan Mulally has said it at every turn. Where the hell have you been for the past 3 years?

A smaller, more profitable company. The days of chasing sales crowns and being in every segment possible is done. Gone with the Edsel.

Please, put down the donut and pick up a newspaper.

I guess you don't know how to read because this is EXACTLY WHAT THE F*** FORD IS DOING!!!!!

Alan Mulally has said it at every turn. Where the hell have you been for the past 3 years?

A smaller, more profitable company. The days of chasing sales crowns and being in every segment possible is done. Gone with the Edsel.

Please, put down the donut and pick up a newspaper.

I do read and haven't had a donut in over 20 years. There is a point where smaller and more profitable becomes ludicrous. see Ferrarri, et al....I suppose you haven't noticed that VW and Fiat now are going in another direction, as is Mercedes and Renault/Nissan etc. It never was about size it was about crappy product and in effect Ford is starting over. Make fewer products that are saleable with good quality and dependable with solid performance at decent prices. Had they done that beginning with the Nasser years they never would have lost market share. I have no gripe with what they are doing now but it is simple math that if you reduce product choices you loose some of your customer base. If you sell fewer units and to remain profitable the you have to raise prices. It is a spiral that can wind up hurting a company that deals in a single product. Now reduced to Ford and Lincoln it can't be as encompassing as before.

Point is product is what sells a company, if you have no products you aint selling and if you aint selling you aint got a company.

I am sure you have it all figured out, bein' as how your vocabulary is so descriptive....and so emotional

I have no gripe with what they are doing now but it is simple math that if you reduce product choices you loose some of your customer base. If you sell fewer units and to remain profitable the you have to raise prices. It is a spiral that can wind up hurting a company that deals in a single product.

Ranger/Tacoma sized truck sales are actually reducing as buyers move on to other vehicles.

That's why Ford is constantly changing it product line up, to follow those consumers....

Ranger/Tacoma sized truck sales are actually reducing as buyers move on to other vehicles.

That's why Ford is constantly changing it product line up, to follow those consumers....

While I agree it isn't a good idea to follow the (crashing) plane all the way to the ground, some of the biggest success stories didn't come from following the market, but leading (or anticipating) it. See, Chrysler minivan, Ford Mustang, Ford Explorer......

I admit I don't know that the small truck market is dying do to lack of demand or lack of desireable product. I know that Toyota sold over 100K Tacomas last year and Ford sold (something like) 50K. If that is insufficient, then ok.

Apparently Ford believes "small" might be the next big thing, given the investment in their small cars. I could understand ceding the small truck market if it is a matter of Ford's survival, but I'm not seeing that. I'm seeing that Ford doesn't (apparently) want a part of what market there is (in small trucks), or doesn't see a possibility of a return on investment, if they attempted to catch up with Toyota in a race they stopped running long ago.

It's a shame, because I really don't want to replace my Ranger with an F150-sized truck, and even if I like Fords, I won't "settle" when I'm spending thousands of my dollars. Business is business for the company and the consumer.

Or perhaps it's just not a priority right now. It's not a huge market to begin with and the current product is holding it's own. I believe the mandate is to figure out how to use the global platform efficiently and that may require a platform change which takes longer and requires even more resources.

To me this is just like the Focus - just further down the priority list.

IIf you sell fewer units and to remain profitable the you have to raise prices. It is a spiral that can wind up hurting a company that deals in a single product. Now reduced to Ford and Lincoln it can't be as encompassing as before.

Point is product is what sells a company, if you have no products you aint selling and if you aint selling you aint got a company.

There are always 2 ways to more profit - increase price or cut costs. Reducing rebates is effectively a net price increase. Ford has been doing both very successfully. They're only giving up on the unprofitable sales by not fleet dumping and not overproducing.

Ford was overextended and producing more cars than people wanted to buy - thus the fleet dumping and big rebates. That is far worse than cutting back production to meet actual demand which is where Ford is now.

Ford didn't lose any models when it decided to close Mercury. They've actually ADDED new models such as the Fiesta and Transit Connect. Before that they added the Edge/MKX and Flex. The Fusion didn't exist before 2006 either - only the Taurus.

A few years ago Lincoln only had the TC, Navigator and MKZ. Today it has the TC, Navigator, MKZ, MKX and MKT. Within 4 years there will be 7 new Lincolns.

Please remind me how Ford is cutting back on models and giving away market share.

Or perhaps it's just not a priority right now. It's not a huge market to begin with and the current product is holding it's own. I believe the mandate is to figure out how to use the global platform efficiently and that may require a platform change which takes longer and requires even more resources.

To me this is just like the Focus - just further down the priority list.

I understand where you're coming from, of course it might be beneficial to know it's on the list. AFAIK, Ford isn't portraying it that way.

Edited by RangerM

I do read and haven't had a donut in over 20 years. There is a point where smaller and more profitable becomes ludicrous. see Ferrarri, et al....I suppose you haven't noticed that VW and Fiat now are going in another direction, as is Mercedes and Renault/Nissan etc. It never was about size it was about crappy product and in effect Ford is starting over. Make fewer products that are saleable with good quality and dependable with solid performance at decent prices. Had they done that beginning with the Nasser years they never would have lost market share. I have no gripe with what they are doing now but it is simple math that if you reduce product choices you loose some of your customer base. If you sell fewer units and to remain profitable the you have to raise prices. It is a spiral that can wind up hurting a company that deals in a single product. Now reduced to Ford and Lincoln it can't be as encompassing as before.

I am sure you have it all figured out, bein' as how your vocabulary is so descriptive....and so emotional

Nissan/Renault, Fiat and VW are all losing money. As is GM and Toyota.

BMW, Honda and Hyundai are making out just fine with fewer product choices.

Nissan/Renault, Fiat and VW are all losing money. As is GM and Toyota.

BMW, Honda and Hyundai are making out just fine with fewer product choices.

Show me where BMW has fewer product choices? Honda with Acura as well?? Ford is doing Great lets face it.

There are always 2 ways to more profit - increase price or cut costs. Reducing rebates is effectively a net price increase. Ford has been doing both very successfully. They're only giving up on the unprofitable sales by not fleet dumping and not overproducing. That is what I said, increase price of the product or decrease the costs incured by it's production regardless of model. Ford was overextended and producing more cars than people wanted to buy - thus the fleet dumping and big rebates. That is far worse than cutting back production to meet actual demand which is where Ford is now. It is not that Ford was over extended so much as they were building vehicles that no one bought which left vehicles sitting in storage. Then to get rid of the glut they gave them away. They simply lost a hedge bet and almost lost the company...It's like buying high and selling low.

Ford didn't lose any models when it decided to close Mercury. They've actually ADDED new models such as the Fiesta and Transit Connect. Before that they added the Edge/MKX and Flex. The Fusion didn't exist before 2006 either - only the Taurus. Although Mercury vehicles were clones theose clones will not be built. Now Ford has added new models that again are a hedge bet. Now they have to add models for Ford so dropping Mercury as a label has done what exactly. If Mercury were a unique brand instaed of a repackaged Ford it's demise would have been un-necessary. And how is dropping the Ranger not reducing model??

A few years ago Lincoln only had the TC, Navigator and MKZ. Today it has the TC, Navigator, MKZ, MKX and MKT. Within 4 years there will be 7 new Lincolns.

Please remind me how Ford is cutting back on models and giving away market share.

I am simply a single person who would love to see the Ranger continue to be produce with an update and at a reasonable price. A simple , well built useful vehicle without all the silly frills that seem to get added to a vehicle and hardly ever get used....A tough little truck with a good ride, decent mileage, dependability and minimal gadgets but that is simply me. My opinion only and happily acceeding your suprior expertise. Yer right and I am wrong....Thanx

I am simply a single person who would love to see the Ranger continue to be produce with an update and at a reasonable price. A simple , well built useful vehicle without all the silly frills that seem to get added to a vehicle and hardly ever get used....A tough little truck with a good ride, decent mileage, dependability and minimal gadgets but that is simply me. My opinion only and happily acceeding your suprior expertise. Yer right and I am wrong....Thanx

Who says they're killing it? They just haven't announced what they're doing with it.

Mercury sales were so small that they won't be missed - they'll get "replaced" with additional volume from Ford and Lincoln, not with new models.

(and it's exceeding, not acceeding)

well chebby is reported to be dropping the colorado and GMC equivalent...only logical point here is yoda will gain small truck segment even more..not saying i agree with fords decision and i do not..but somewhere somebody must know the small truck market is a loser or that person is just another ford employee with no brains...i kinda believe the latter..ford needs a small truck

not saying i agree with fords decision and i do not..but somewhere somebody must know the small truck market is a loser or that person is just another ford employee with no brains...i kinda believe the latter..ford needs a small truck

So what, exactly, is Ford's decision on the Ranger?

Well akirby, look up the definition and I am not exceeding anything merely acceeding something. Learn to speak English before you correct someone!

It would be a lot easier to look up the definition if you'd spell it correctly.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/acceeding

The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the search bar above.

1. exceeding

2. deciding

3. accident

4. accidence

5. exacting

6. exceedingly

7. Gieseking

8. exceedance

9. accidental

But thank you for the grammar lesson (it's one 'e', not 2).

Now about the Ranger - where has Ford announced that it's being killed?

It would be a lot easier to look up the definition if you'd spell it correctly.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/acceeding

But thank you for the grammar lesson (it's one 'e', not 2).

Now about the Ranger - where has Ford announced that it's being killed?

What was grammar about the word??? You simply did not understand the word, grammar has NADA to do with it......I simply misspelled it but it is context andhow it was used is what you do/did not understand...Oh and by the way it was thee who corrected me, in your opinion grammatically perhaps but simply that I used the wrong word....

.Ford has said it would no longer build the Ranger after 2012 or was it 2011. Seems rather succinct to me......But ya know you are right, I know not of what I speak......

Edited by Vaquero28

What was grammar about the word??? You simply did not understand the word, grammar has NADA to do with it......I simply misspelled it but it is context andhow it was used is what you do/did not understand...Oh and by the way it was thee who corrected me, in your opinion grammatically perhaps but simply that I used the wrong word....

.Ford has said it would no longer build the Ranger after 2012 or was it 2011. Seems rather succinct to me......But ya know you are right, I know not of what I speak......

Given the information available.... Ford is planning on getting rid of the Ranger.

The T6 may make it to the US as the F100, and that is the current most likely possibility.

Those who want great fuel economy shouldn't despair as the 2.0 EB T6 should be able to achieve 27 mpg in 2x4 configuration when released.

Another tid-bit that may or may not be related is that the Duratorq 2.2 liter TDCi diesel has been tested in a "truck configuration" with approx 197 HP and 295 lbs torque. This is significant only if you compare that engine's output against the VW Amorok.

In case you did not read it the Amorok is Tacoma sized can pull 9000lbs and as tested achieved 32 mpg unloaded with the diesel engine $34,000 as equipped.

Ford's T6 has been listed as capable of towing 6600 lbs. Price unknown.

Given the information available.... Ford is planning on getting rid of the Ranger.

The T6 may make it to the US as the F100, and that is the current most likely possibility.

Those who want great fuel economy shouldn't despair as the 2.0 EB T6 should be able to achieve 27 mpg in 2x4 configuration when released.

Another tid-bit that may or may not be related is that the Duratorq 2.2 liter TDCi diesel has been tested in a "truck configuration" with approx 197 HP and 295 lbs torque. This is significant only if you compare that engine's output against the VW Amorok.

In case you did not read it the Amorok is Tacoma sized can pull 9000lbs and as tested achieved 32 mpg unloaded with the diesel engine $34,000 as equipped.

Ford's T6 has been listed as capable of towing 6600 lbs. Price unknown.

I have read re the Amorok and if it were available here in the US it would be my choice. To the best of my information it is NOT scheduled to be introduced here anytime soon but I may be incorrect!?

• Like 1

I am simply a single person who would love to see the Ranger continue to be produce with an update and at a reasonable price.

No. You are just an arrogant dip$hit that tries to brag abut his vehicles on an internet forum.

Which tells me no such vehicles exist. They are only in your mind.

You have yet to show us how Ford can make this vehicle at a profit. Apparently you know more than Mulally and Fields. So the onus is on you to show it.

Otherwise you are just a fucktard

No. You are just an arrogant dip$hit that tries to brag abut his vehicles on an internet forum.

Which tells me no such vehicles exist. They are only in your mind.

You have yet to show us how Ford can make this vehicle at a profit. Apparently you know more than Mulally and Fields. So the onus is on you to show it.

Otherwise you are just a fucktard

Wow what a classy post.

everyone of those vehicles sits right here and if you wish I can give the vin numbers if necessary and you can check if they exist. Unfortunately seems to me that your sole contribution to this issue consists of vulgarities which you yourself consider superlatives when in fact they display your stupidity and lack of a vocabulary.

You are a sorry person with inferiority complexes that make you a loser and will always keep you there.

No brag ever intended. Statement of fact and how does owning Fords ever construct a brag?? If they were BMWs Audis or Mercs then perhaps it could be a brag. Secondly every vehicle is and older veicle, the newest is a 2004 oldest a '95 yeah I guess it is a brag that I own old vehicles...but everyone of them runs well and I do maintain them to keep them running like new, how about you? Now let's hear you blast off yet again...lets hear some classy language.....

Thirdly, I simply stated my opinion as to what I felt would suit my purposes, building it and making it profitable is of course up to vulgarity experts like yourself!

Edited by Vaquero28
  • Like 1