New Ranger or lost buyers what does Ford want ??

gafry

Argentina is switching to T6 Ranger later this year.

Plain and simple, Ford North America are not interested in T6 Ranger.

Well, if Ford doesn't want any more of my money... so be it. Guess I'll buy a Frontier/Tacoma/Ridgeline (which will be my first non-FoMoCo vehicle purchase).

Well, if Ford doesn't want any more of my money... so be it. Guess I'll buy a Frontier/Tacoma/Ridgeline (which will be my first non-FoMoCo vehicle purchase).

Sad to see you go but Ford is getting out of small / medium trucks and guess what?

Ford now builds a lot fewer vehicles and makes much more profit and savings than they have in the past.

Today, Ford is choosing to put their development funds into the most lucrative set of vehicles,

a lot of evidence is pointing to small / medium truck buyers migrating to other vehicle types

and this is the direction Ford is heading by offering alternatives to previous small truck owners.

if they can make a case for the Flex and the Lincoln version, they should be able to make a case for the Ranger.

Seriously, how many freaking SUV's/Crossovers does Ford need in its lineup? What exactly does a Flex do that an Edge can't? What does an Escape do that's different from an Explorer?

Toyota sells 120k Tacomas every year without even trying (never seen a Tacoma TV ad). Ford sells 50k Rangers per year, which is amazing since it's a horribly obsolete and uncompetitive product that Ford doesn't advertise. Maybe Ford should start building one best-in-class vehicle for each market segment instead of 7 variations on the flavor of the week.

if they can make a case for the Flex and the Lincoln version, they should be able to make a case for the Ranger.

1) Flex and MKT share the same platform as Taurus and Explorer,

2) Flex starts at $28K

3) MKT starts at $45K

Can you see the differences between them and Ranger?

1) Seriously, how many freaking SUV's/Crossovers does Ford need in its lineup?

2) What exactly does a Flex do that an Edge can't?

3) What does an Escape do that's different from an Explorer?

1) As many as the public want and that's around 44,000 sales last month.

2) Flex is a genuine 7-seater, Edge is a 5-seat crossover.

3) Escape is a compact SUV while Explorer is a mid sized SUV

4) February sales:

- Escape 18,005

- Explorer 9,657

- Edge 10,138

- Expedition 2,830

- Flex 2,352

Edited by jpd80

1) As many as the public want and that's around 44,000 sales last month.

2) Flex is a genuine 7-seater, Edge is a 5-seat crossover.

3) Escape is a compact SUV while Explorer is a mid sized SUV

4) February sales:

- Escape 18,005

- Explorer 9,657

- Edge 10,138

- Expedition 2,830

- Flex 2,352

Looks like GM is the only USA company to offer a small pickup ???????????????

Ford will lose loyal people because they stopped making what they wanted.

Not a smart move but when most companies are run by bean counters this is what you get.

Bean Counters only care about money money money money only looking at the present and not the future.

You guys willing to pay the $$$ a NEW Ranger will cost?

GM is killing the Colorado/Canyon because of poor sales. You can get a crew cab 4x4 Silverado/Sierra that gets the same MPG as a crew cab 4x4 Colorado.

Not quite dead - http://www.thetorquereport.com/2011/03/gm_releases_teaser_of_next-gen.html

Small trucks always had it rough since many imports sell small trucks and most opt for the larger truck because most like the extra room. The Dodge Dakota became bigger over the years and not sure if it will survive much longer.

Edited by First-On-Race-Day

Not quite dead - http://www.thetorquereport.com/2011/03/gm_releases_teaser_of_next-gen.html

Small trucks always had it rough since many imports sell small trucks and most opt for the larger truck because most like the extra room. The Dodge Dakota became bigger over the years and not sure if it will survive much longer.

Maybe this will spur Ford to either crap or get off the pot with the T-6 Ranger and change their mind about bringing it here. Too bad it might take action by GM to get Ford moving. I sure hope Ford doesn't revert back to their old habit of following GM's lead and being a day late to the party but if it means we get a replacement for the Ranger then so be it.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/02/work-on-next-gen-colorado-and-canyon-for-north-america-under-way-sources-say.html

Looks like GM is the only USA company to offer a small pickup ???????????????

Ford will lose loyal people because they stopped making what they wanted.

Not a smart move but when most companies are run by bean counters this is what you get.

Bean Counters only care about money money money money only looking at the present and not the future.

The next gen Colorado is not small. Its going to grow to the size of the current frontier. So its larger than the current model and slightly smaller than a Tacoma.

The days of an old 70/80's sized compact truck is over... But the entire car & truck market has grown... Even in Europe (which is the primary market driving the size of compact trucks). But that is fine because have you noticed how big so call personal full-sized trucks have gotten? They are the same size as Heavy Duty trucks in the past, and the Super Duty is the size of 70/80's era Medium Duty work trucks. Only thing sold worldwide that approaches the size of a 70/80's era comapct truck are the subcompact Utes, like the Fiesta-based Courier sold in South America.

• 1 month later...

im unsure if a FWD/ AWD ranger would be beneficial in the market but I definitely believe revamping the ranger has a place in the US. For a daily commuter with minimal towing/ payload needs it is a great truck. For us single ppl who need a vehicle with 4x4 to get to work in all kinds of weather its a great truck. I bought my ranger because i liked the utility of the bed (even tho i rarely put anything in it, i always had the option to.) the 4x4 option. the extended cab was a bonus but now proves to be too small. A full bench seat or at least something capable of a carseat is a must. I love mine and I am sad to have to sell it for my raptor but I needed the size of a full f-150 now. make the ranger halfway between what it is now and a F150 and they might be onto something.

I have owned three Ford Rangers and am looking for another new one.

Must I and other Ranger owners look to another Manufacture? or is Ford going to revamp the Ranger.

The Sport trac sucks, I had one and sold it shortly after for a truck.

What The New Ranger needs:

1. Extended cab with a bench seat across the back.

2. A Eco-boost 4 cylinder with 30 + MPG

3. New Styling

I couldnt agree more. I have had a ranger. Then i needed somthing larger for towing and had several F150s. Been noticing that the F150 are just getting to big. Payd extra for the ladder in the tailgate, since it is higher then any other 150 i had. Then i put a cab on the box which made the ladder just about useless.

Was looking at the ranger before i purchased my presend 2010 150, since i do not tow as large of a trailer anymore. Found that the ranger had been put on the back burner and is definately not keeping up with the times....kind of like stale beer....

There is a market for the ranger, as i see some around.

I, for one would be very intersted in a upgraded ranger, but not as is!

As gas prices increase, the ranger will/would be more attractive. Especially one that has been updated.

Would also put ford in a better marketing position, as the small pickup truck manufacturer choices have shrunk.

Edited by Pete

Wondering if BOF Explorer Sport Trac could be eventually rejiggered a single and dual cab F100 pick up,

making it wider than T6 Ranger but still a lot narrower than F150, A pick up like that might grab the remainder

of the Ranger's market and some of Tacoma's as well, especially if it were fitted with EB I-4 and 3.7 V6....