Chevy Volt REQUIRES premium Fuel.

Reigner92

This will only further confuse customers, who think it runs on unicorn glitter and fairy dust.

"What? I thought it was electric?"

GM was smart to make the Volt an extended range electric. Full electric vehicles like the Leaf fall to this problem: Will I make it there and back on one full charge? What if there are lots of hills, or temp drops precipitiously during trip, or I'm dealing with 30mph headwind the whole way. Advertising may say 100 miles on one full charge, but your miles may vary considerably based on many varied factors. The Volt has those problems covered.

GM was smart to make the Volt an extended range electric. Full electric vehicles like the Leaf fall to this problem: Will I make it there and back on one full charge? What if there are lots of hills, or temp drops precipitiously during trip, or I'm dealing with 30mph headwind the whole way. Advertising may say 100 miles on one full charge, but your miles may vary considerably based on many varied factors. The Volt has those problems covered.

Don't get me wrong, the technology is astounding... but GM historically has trouble explaining to customers just what it is they're selling, and the image they've pushed of the Volt so far doesn't jive with an announcement that it requires Premium fuel. That's all .

Agree on those notes, but why the heck should an 80 HP 1.4 liter require premium fuel? :doh:

Question.

OK - you fill up your tank with premium fuel. Then for the next 3 months you only drive to work and back - say 20 miles round trip. and maybe to the store, movie. In other words - you only run on electric. Then you decide to go on vacation. And after 40 miles your 4-cylinder finally kicks on - sucking down that nicely stale, gelled 10% ethanol fuel.

Or does Chevy have a solution for this?

Question.

OK - you fill up your tank with premium fuel. Then for the next 3 months you only drive to work and back - say 20 miles round trip. and maybe to the store, movie. In other words - you only run on electric. Then you decide to go on vacation. And after 40 miles your 4-cylinder finally kicks on - sucking down that nicely stale, gelled 10% ethanol fuel.

Or does Chevy have a solution for this?

It is said that the gas engine will cycle on periodically regardless of whether or not it is needed, precisely to avoid a scenario such as that.

It is said that the gas engine will cycle on periodically regardless of whether or not it is needed, precisely to avoid a scenario such as that.

And I think it takes just a tad longer than 3 months to get stale and gel.

Hell, the 1+ year old gas sitting in the can in my garage still fires up my leaf blower, weed eater, and ATV just fine. No gel problems there.