2011 MKX

Having had a 2010 MKT, which I wated from September till December to get- am now currious as to when the Production of the 2011 MKX will start - and when will they be shipped to dealers - I had a 2007 MKX - traded it on a MKT - and now want a new 2011 MKX again -

am new here - my name is Phil -

Ford has built some great cars - always happy with them !

Having had a 2010 MKT, which I wated from September till December to get- am now currious as to when the Production of the 2011 MKX will start - and when will they be shipped to dealers - I had a 2007 MKX - traded it on a MKT - and now want a new 2011 MKX again -

am new here - my name is Phil -

Ford has built some great cars - always happy with them !

Should be in dealers in August.

Hope so - my dealer told me yesterday - they were still re-tooling - and gave me no idea of production - much less delivery to dealers -

Hope you are right aresrutherford I notice you are in BMWville - where ever that is - I have a 2009 Z-4 - 35i -stick - great car too - but need something easier to get into (unless the top is down)

Phil

Edited by NNRT

Hope so - my dealer told me yesterday - they were still re-tooling - and gave me no idea of production - much less delivery to dealers -

Hope you are right aresrutherford I notice you are in BMWville - where ever that is - I have a 2009 Z-4 - 35i -stick - great car too - but need something easier to get into (unless the top is down)

Phil

I thought Job 1 was sometime in late June / early July? I know that they've been running them thru slowly, but I would expect they have a pretty good lot full to ship once the batch is released.

Phil

Well, if he's in the states and being serious, he could be in Spartanburg, SC where BMW has a plant, or if he's joking, he could be somewhere like here in Fort Lauderdale, where BMW's are everywhere, although Audi does seem to be gaining ground here...

Anyway, back on topic: do you not like your MKT that you want to get an MKX so quickly, or what?

Thanks to all for the reply ! I bought the MKT for the EB engine - sight unseen - The car was well built - powerful, and comfortable - however driver visibility to the sides was limited - the windows are shorter than the MKX - It also was a little too big for me - and I was not in love with the rear end of the car - specially since the rear hatch door was almost at the edge of the rear of the car - a slight tap in a parking lot would have hit the lower edge of the rear hatch - A buyer came along at the right price - and it found a new home. Having had a 2007 MKX that I really enjoyed (other than having two wheel bearing problems which seemed to be problematic on many). Now with the new design of the MKX - new dash - all the bells and whistles that I had on the MKT - better visibility - I cant wait to get it - it will be Gold Leaf Metalic ( just like my MKT was - never shows dirt) - Premium and Elite Pkgs. and with the new 305 HP engine - should be great !

Thanks to all for their replies and interest !

Phil

I have a 2007 MKX and the lease is due in September. I love the MKX and want another, but pricing has really jumped on this car and pushed it beyond my acceptable range for the features I want (AWD, Vista, Nav). I mean we are looking at a $50K car now, a huge jump from the $43K my car stickered. In order to get equivalent pricing and features to my current MKX, I have to go for the Edge. I am going to start shopping around, the new Grand Cherokee and Caddy SRX are next on my hit list.

Edited by BORG

I have a 2007 MKX and the lease is due in September. I love the MKX and want another, but pricing has really jumped on this car and pushed it beyond my acceptable range for the features I want (AWD, Vista, Nav). I mean we are looking at a $50K car now, a huge jump from the $43K my car stickered. In order to get equivalent pricing and features to my current MKX, I have to go for the Edge. I am going to start shopping around, the new Grand Cherokee and Caddy SRX are next on my hit list.

You have noticed that also? I'm not sure what Ford is thinking in shooting sticker prices to the moon. They need to quit reading their press clippings and price their vehicles more competitively. Looks to me like you were loyal Ford buyer, and now you are comparison shopping and may be former Ford owner. In these times, customers will leave you in a hot second if they feel you are unreasonable in pricing and the way you group options.

the new Grand Cherokee and Caddy SRX are next on my hit list.

I really like the look of the new GC, but I won't be able to bring myself to buy a Fiat product for a few years (if ever). The SRX is actually a very nice looking SUV, and more comparable in size to the MkX than I would have thought. Too bad it's saddled with two dog engines.

Sorry, but the Caddy gussied up will be just as much money, and not as good. And the Jeep, not in the same class. IMO.

The Lincoln, albeit very expensive, is now a true Luxury vehicle, with features and amenities not available on more expensive vehicles in the same class. That stuff cost money.

You have noticed that also? I'm not sure what Ford is thinking in shooting sticker prices to the moon. They need to quit reading their press clippings and price their vehicles more competitively. Looks to me like you were loyal Ford buyer, and now you are comparison shopping and may be former Ford owner. In these times, customers will leave you in a hot second if they feel you are unreasonable in pricing and the way you group options.

The MKX made a huge price jump after 2007, the 2008 model jumped by around $2,000, and now we are up by about $6,000 for a similarly equipped vehicle. I can understand the price jump now to some extent, but the price increases since 2007 have been inexcusable since very little content has changed or been added beyond Sync and 20" wheels. I wondered if it was just to keep ahead of the heavy discounting they are always doing at Lincoln to get people in the showroom. And now Lincoln sales are tanking as they focus on transaction margins over volume.

The Edge, especially in it's premium form, have also seen a price jump, but not as significantly. I hope I'm impressed by the Edge to give up that Lincoln badge, but I'm getting a little frustrated with the constant price surging on cars I want to stick with. It doesn't help that I'm not particularly impressed by the new back-end of the MKX, the bum on my '07 probably contributed significantly to my purchase decision (superb design!).

And yes, I've been a loyal Lincoln owner for about 9 cars and that's about to end sadly. I guess Lincoln has outrown my sort of income. Ah well, I wish them luck on their strategy!

Edited by BORG

Cars have gotten expensive -- not just Ford. Its comes to profitability, the companies were losing money and needed to raise prices they are now making money. Look at how expensive the Buick Lacrosse, and new Jeep GC is(buddy just looked at a 11 GC and it was almost $700/month to lease w/employee).

A loaded Midsized CUV is going to be around 35-40K, a luxury SUV is going to be 45K-50K. Even the new Explorer loaded has a sticker around 46k, Flex can hit 50k.

Sucks but the companies need those price points to stay profitable. That’s why I buy my cars, buy something that is going to last and only worry about getting a new car every 8 or 10 years and then I am only sticker shocked every 8-10 years.

I really like the look of the new GC, but I won't be able to bring myself to buy a Fiat product for a few years (if ever). The SRX is actually a very nice looking SUV, and more comparable in size to the MkX than I would have thought. Too bad it's saddled with two dog engines.

I have the same feelings about the SRX. My wife likes the way it looks, but I told her she'd be greatly disappointed by the engine options. The 3.0L DI is almost universally ragged on and the 2.8T is thirsty and doesn't really feel as strong as the numbers say it is. That's a car that is really screaming for the 3.6L DI.

As to Price- no one pays sticker - My deal was at tissue - they just kept the hold back around 800 bucks - build your own priced at 49,850 - I got it for 45,400 - savings of 4,450 over window sticker including freight- from there it was a trade - and sales tax - my car will come loaded too - Premium and Elite pkgs. wood interior, All wheel drive too,. - For all the luxury I get - I consider it a excellent deal -

Phil

I have the same feelings about the SRX. My wife likes the way it looks, but I told her she'd be greatly disappointed by the engine options. The 3.0L DI is almost universally ragged on and the 2.8T is thirsty and doesn't really feel as strong as the numbers say it is. That's a car that is really screaming for the 3.6L DI.

And to Borg's originally complaint about the MKX price, the SRX tops out at 52K....probably without as much equipment as the MKX.

I think the Edge will impress you Borg and keep you in the Ford family, at least I hope so. Thought about the 2011 Explorer, or does it not fit into your timeframe with your lease?

Edited by twmalonehunter

And to Borg's originally complaint about the MKX price, the SRX tops out at 52K....probably without as much equipment as the MKX.

I think the Edge will impress you Borg and keep you in the Ford family, at least I hope so. Thought about the 2011 Explorer, or does it not fit into your timeframe with your lease?

Just looked at the SRX and I'm writing that off, very poor value once you add the options I want, and it still has a lame engine, ugly face, mediocre cabin tech. I'd rather have a Ford because the cabin tech is so far beyond anything GM or anybody else outside of Audi can offer. Did you know foglights are options on an SRX and CTS? WTF?! They are standard on a Fusion! The Edge and MKX obliterate the SRX in every metric. The GC isn't quite my style, too conservative and tradtional, the same extends to the new Explorer (which is well beyond my deadline anyway). I seem to have myself convinced that the '11 Edge is the right car, now it comes down to a test drive and availability. In many ways, the Edge hits the design nail on the head better than the MKX so I'm more compelled by it, but I would rather have the Lincoln anyway (and the bum is still better looking on the MKX) The Edge Sport is also an option, but I want the trailer-tow kit for my bike rack and the 22" Rim and Sport Pack might make me miserable on Detroit roads.

Edited by BORG

Just looked at the SRX and I'm writing that off, very poor value once you add the options I want, and it still has a lame engine, ugly face, mediocre cabin tech. I'd rather have a Ford because the cabin tech is so far beyond anything GM or anybody else outside of Audi can offer. Did you know foglights are options on an SRX and CTS? WTF?! They are standard on a Fusion! The Edge and MKX obliterate the SRX in every metric. The GC isn't quite my style, too conservative and tradtional, the same extends to the new Explorer (which is well beyond my deadline anyway). I seem to have myself convinced that the '11 Edge is the right car, now it comes down to a test drive and availability. In many ways, the Edge hits the design nail on the head better than the MKX so I'm more compelled by it, but I would rather have the Lincoln anyway (and the bum is still better looking on the MKX) The Edge Sport is also an option, but I want the trailer-tow kit for my bike rack and the 22" Rim and Sport Pack might make me miserable on Detroit roads.

Cadillac is a mess right now... optional foglights on your two best selling models? Just awful.

With the SRX (and the other Thetas), I felt that the interior is much closer to Escape size than Edge/MKX size. I know that the exterior dimensions are close to the C/Ds, but the interior just feel cramped. And, to be honest, I'm totally over the stupid pop-up nav screens that Caddy is obsessed with. It looks bad when it's deployed, and you waste the functionality of the screen when it's stowed.

Cars have gotten expensive -- not just Ford. Its comes to profitability, the companies were losing money and needed to raise prices they are now making money. Look at how expensive the Buick Lacrosse, and new Jeep GC is(buddy just looked at a 11 GC and it was almost $700/month to lease w/employee).

A loaded Midsized CUV is going to be around 35-40K, a luxury SUV is going to be 45K-50K. Even the new Explorer loaded has a sticker around 46k, Flex can hit 50k.

Sucks but the companies need those price points to stay profitable. That’s why I buy my cars, buy something that is going to last and only worry about getting a new car every 8 or 10 years and then I am only sticker shocked every 8-10 years.

John McElroy talks about these price increases in his July 30 Autoline column. Expect more of the same in the future.

Edited by aneekr

Just looked at the SRX and I'm writing that off, very poor value once you add the options I want, and it still has a lame engine, ugly face, mediocre cabin tech. I'd rather have a Ford because the cabin tech is so far beyond anything GM or anybody else outside of Audi can offer. Did you know foglights are options on an SRX and CTS? WTF?!

Yes, I was going to say good luck with the blind spots too:

srx.jpg

With the SRX (and the other Thetas), I felt that the interior is much closer to Escape size than Edge/MKX size. I know that the exterior dimensions are close to the C/Ds, but the interior just feel cramped. And, to be honest, I'm totally over the stupid pop-up nav screens that Caddy is obsessed with. It looks bad when it's deployed, and you waste the functionality of the screen when it's stowed.

We had an SRX rental a few weeks ago when we were in California, and while I didn't have an opportunity to drive it, I (and my family) got tired of it quickly. Besides the gigantic blind spots (pictured above), the thing floated like a boat over the bumps and what not of the highways out there. Apparently the brakes weren't very good, either (although it was a rental...). The front seats would also get uncomfortable on long-ish trips. As you mentioned, the pop-up nav screen was horrible. It is at a vertical/90 degree angle to the ground, so it ends up not even pointing at you, but rather at chest level....obviously you can see everything fine, but when it comes to using the touch screen (more on that later), it was inconvenient having it the way it was. As for the nav system itself.....oh my goodness, Caddy's system was absolutely horrible - nowhere near as intuitive as Ford's. It was a pain to use - the ABCDE, non-QWERTY "keyboard" setup drove us crazy and you couldn't change it. Needless to say, we were glad to give it back LOL. The big sunroof was nice though...

Yes, I was going to say good luck with the blind spots too:

srx.jpg

We had an SRX rental a few weeks ago when we were in California, and while I didn't have an opportunity to drive it, I (and my family) got tired of it quickly. Besides the gigantic blind spots (pictured above), the thing floated like a boat over the bumps and what not of the highways out there. Apparently the brakes weren't very good, either (although it was a rental...). The front seats would also get uncomfortable on long-ish trips. As you mentioned, the pop-up nav screen was horrible. It is at a vertical/90 degree angle to the ground, so it ends up not even pointing at you, but rather at chest level....obviously you can see everything fine, but when it comes to using the touch screen (more on that later), it was inconvenient having it the way it was. As for the nav system itself.....oh my goodness, Caddy's system was absolutely horrible - nowhere near as intuitive as Ford's. It was a pain to use - the ABCDE, non-QWERTY "keyboard" setup drove us crazy and you couldn't change it. Needless to say, we were glad to give it back LOL. The big sunroof was nice though...

Did they hide the engine in there or something? And they don't even have BLIS technology on the SRX.

I have to tell you, after pricing up the SRX and finding just how cheaply they can be had at their rental basic level, I see Ford as more of a luxury brand than Caddy. Lincoln is a genuine luxury brand, Caddy is the poser. I see so many SRX's out there and now I know why, they are as cheap as Chevy's and about as basic! Okay, so they have a CTS-V....but that's all racing technology, not consumer technology....I don't care!!! I'm finding that GM's sexy new designs are hiding cars with a complete lack of usable innovations and technology, or any real value beyond brand and design!

And yes, I completely understand that the MKX is a much better vehicle now than the one I bought in 2007, and I can't think of any other vehicle in this price range that offers comparable technology, but I'm questioning if it's $6,000 better than the featured packed car I own now. Either way, I've been priced out of the MKX market, and perhaps many other customers have as well. Lincoln is struggling with loyalty and it's going to get worse when they do this.

Edited by BORG

I think Borg is too much of a Detroiter to buy an Audi.

BTW, Borg, now you see why I grumble about your design kvetching---it's not all about design. GM's designs lately are more cohesive than many of Ford's designs (not necessarily better, but more coherent), but the overall product isn't as good.

BTW 2: About $3k-$4k of that $6k price increase is due to cumulative inflation over the past three years.

And a lot of the rest is taken up by MyLincoln Touch and the capacitive electronic controls, as well as better leather, wood, and dash materials.

Edited by RichardJensen

We've had our Edge for almost two years and we've put 30K miles on it, the new Edge is the front runner for its replacement. I'll start looking at them after I get my Mustang.

I think Borg is too much of a Detroiter to buy an Audi.

Last time I was in BORG's hometown of Rochester Hills, Michigan (in 2004), it seemed like Audi Central! A4s, A6s, and TT's everywhere...

Perhaps it was the presence of VWoA's headquarters in nearby Auburn Hills at the time. Don't know if Audis are still as ubiquitous in that part of Metro Detroit now that they moved to Northern Virginia.