2011 Hyundai Elantra

silvrsvt

Ho hum. Nothing special. Exterior still looks Hyundai to me. Getting better as the years pass, but still too much reaching. Interior, like the exterior is an improvement, but not my cup of tea.

Gotta love them comments. Everyone there loves it.

http://www.hyundai-blog.com/index.php/2010/07/28/new-hyundai-elantra-images-released/

Not bad looking, but at the same time like many of the other Hyundai design elements we've seen, it seems to be a bit over-styled or trying too hard.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I'm a Hyundai owner (2004 Elantra GT hatch).

I agree that it is a bit much, but it is still much more interesting to look at than the Cruze, Corolla, Civic, or Forte, and doesn't have the Mazda3's shite-eating grin. In fact, the only upcoming C-segment car that I believe looks better is the new Focus.

I think the design language is pretty good, overall. It has a sense of flow to it, as if it were sculpted in liquid metal.

I used to think the new Sonata was a bit overdone, but I've also seen a hell of a lot of them on the road.

This new Elantra will probably do well.

The only part of the Sonata that really drives me bonkers now is the chrome accent running along the sides of the hood up toward the A-pillar. On silver cars, it makes it look like there's just a huge panel gap there instead.

I used to think the new Sonata was a bit overdone, but I've also seen a hell of a lot of them on the road..

I've noticed the same thing, but I think its the styling that makes them stand out also.

The only part of the Sonata that really drives me bonkers now is the chrome accent running along the sides of the hood up toward the A-pillar. On silver cars, it makes it look like there's just a huge panel gap there instead.

I don't care for the grill mostly...the Hybrid looks pretty cool though since they got rid of it!

I've noticed the same thing, but I think its the styling that makes them stand out also.

I don't care for the grill mostly...the Hybrid looks pretty cool though since they got rid of it!

Reminds me of a cartooned camry (which is already pretty cartoonish to me)

Reminds me of a cartooned camry (which is already pretty cartoonish to me)

Each time I see a new Sonata, I always think it just another Camry. Then a couple of seconds later it registers that it isn't a Camry. I don't hate the look of either the Sonata or this new Elantra, but I also don't find them particularly striking either.

I think Toyota/Honda/Nissan have the most to fear from Hyundai. Previous import buyers are already accepting of buying an import and will probably feel more comfortable going to another import. The traditional domestic buyers probably aren't going to be swayed now by a Hyundai when they have had similar import options before. Plus with the recent postive spotlight on Ford, they are in a good position to bring the traditional import buyers back into the fold.

I never got a close look at one until yesterday. It does look different, but it's not the first car with accents like that (if you remember the '70s when fender accents were fairly common on upscale cars) The car I saw was blue, so the chrome stood out. I'll look for a silver one, to see if I get the same impression.