Fleet as percentage of U.S. sales (jan-july)

Fleet's contribution

Fleet as percentage of U.S. sales, Jan. through July

Chrysler Group 39%

Ford Motor 35%

General Motors 31%

Hyundai brand 16%

Nissan North America 15%*

Toyota Motor Sales 9%

American Honda 2%*

Read more:

My link

Thanks smok! GM was first in total sales to fleet customers in July 2010 and in the first seven months of 2010 according to the linked Automotive News article. If Ford NAFLRO can grab just a few large accounts away from GM (or Chrysler), I see no reason why Ford cannot clinch the lead.

I'd like to see what fleets are buying before I'd call Ford's surge in fleet sales a "victory". I don't want to see Ford getting into heavy car fleet sales. They've been working hard on keep residual car values up. Fleet sales to rental agencies would start to kill that again.

I think with the direction the PI Taurus and PI Explorer are going, those won't hurt overall residuals much. But time will only tell once those are actually released.

Taxi fleets I think are OK. Those units are usually driven to death so those won't hurt residuals.

Truck residuals for the F Series usually aren't hurt either since those are heavy work trucks and ridden to death again too.

So a vehicle breakdown would be good to see.

BTW, linky no worky for me...

• Like 1

I'd like to see what fleets are buying before I'd call Ford's surge in fleet sales a "victory". I don't want to see Ford getting into heavy car fleet sales. They've been working hard on keep residual car values up. Fleet sales to rental agencies would start to kill that again.

I think with the direction the PI Taurus and PI Explorer are going, those won't hurt overall residuals much. But time will only tell once those are actually released.

Taxi fleets I think are OK. Those units are usually driven to death so those won't hurt residuals.

Truck residuals for the F Series usually aren't hurt either since those are heavy work trucks and ridden to death again too.

So a vehicle breakdown would be good to see.

BTW, linky no worky for me...

The article said that Ford is concentrating on more profitable corporate and government fleets and not daily rental fleets.

It would be nice to see where the fleet sales are going. Fleet sales are great if they go to the right entity, and staying away from rental sales is a must. Ford has really gotten away from dumping to rental fleets as of late which has helped residuals greatly.

I had you guys beat to the punch on the type of fleet sales, but site problems kept me from posting until after you. :)

Edited by fordmantpw

The Freep just did an in depth review of Chrysler's up sales and determined with fleet numbers that Chrysler retail sales are actually down while fleet sales are up. The Freep says this is not a good omen for the future of Chrysler. GM's retail sales are up, but barely. And Ford's retail numbers are up double digits. The article went on to say that retail numbers are the key to profits and future viability. Basically, Ford is stealing retail sales from GM and especially Chrysler. The new Grand Cherokee is doing well, but Chrysler needs more products doing the same thing. As long as Ford's retail sales keep increasing, fleet sales should not be a problem assuming they are getting good transaction prices on them. If not, then why pursue the fleet market in the first place. Chrysler dealers are complaining about lack of product and customers. Ford dealers are not, and GM dealers are just starting to get back into the ballgame, and those GM dealers that just went through arbritration have virtually no product on their lots even now. Just about all the GM dealers around me are devoid of new product. They are waiting for 2011's to trickle in. Meanwhile, Ford dealers have decent inventory.

• Like 1

What the article said is consistent with what I experienced in rental car company. I just cannot get a Ford car from those car rentals company.

Same here. I've been doing alot of business travel lately and the most abundant choices are always Chrysler and GM. Lately it's been a lot of Malibus and Chargers. The most recent rental was a Camry though.

Same here. I've been doing alot of business travel lately and the most abundant choices are always Chrysler and GM. Lately it's been a lot of Malibus and Chargers. The most recent rental was a Camry though.

You hired a runwaway Camry fooking hell man and your still alive to tell the story, l would have told them to poke it up their arse Tom.

GM's retail sales are up, but barely.

Per the article, GM's retail sales at their core brands are up 18% for the year -- just one percentage point behind Ford-Lincoln-Mercury.

Here is the part that interested me most:

Sales to daily rental fleets are less than half of Ford's fleet total this year.

By comparison, more than two-thirds of Chrysler and GM fleet volume goes to daily rental fleets.

Ford is in the happy position of selling into the daily rental markets due to consumer demand,

not because they over produce vehicles and need to dump them somewhere......

So on a recent trip, we had a reservation for a rental car of a size class that was said to be "Ford Fusion or similar".

"Or similar" turned out to be a Dodge Avenger. It wasn't a bad car (except for the thick C-pillars and narrow windows that compromised outward visibility). But it gave no reason to choose it among the numerous other models available in that class of car if you were buying such a car for yourself.