What should I get? 2011 Edge or 2010 MKS

67 members have voted

1. 1. What car should Borgy get?

• 2011 Edge Limited
    • 2010 MKS Ecoboost

MKS FTW. Im in one now and LOVE IT!!!!! In the last 2 years have had 2 Edge (I know not the 2011) 2 2010 Fusion Sport 1 Milan and now the MKS and it is a GREAT GREAT car you will LOVE IT!!

As many of you may be painfully aware, I am agonizing over a choice i need to make quickly because my 2007 Lincoln MKX is due back and I've been enticed by a 2010 MKS EB with a fantastic lease rate.

So here is my dilemma!

I really want the 2011 MKX, but the lease rate is astronomical so I've written it off as my next vehicle once the lease rates are better.

Lincoln is offering some amazing lease rates on a 2010 MKS Ecboost, fully loaded. It's a fantastic car, but it doesn't really meet my needs as well as the MKX so I would be sacrificing some functionality for luxury and performance. I need the cargo hold for Costco/Home Depot/Picnicking every saturday and the trailer hitch for my bike rack so I can go mountain biking.

So instead I've been looking at the new 2011 Ford Edge Limited, fully loaded. It has most of the MKS features and quite a few more such as My Ford Touch. However, the lease rates are pretty awful, I'm looking at spending quite a bit more to be among the first to get the Edge.

Here are the numbers.

A/Z Plan 24 month lease at 10,500 miles/year.

MKS: MSRP= $53,180, 468/month (1,800 due)

Edge: MSRP=$43,150, $516/month (1,650 due)

Here is my Pro/Con list

MKS:

Pros

Value

Status

Dealer Experience

Performance and Handling

Ecoboost

Materials

Ride Quality

Cooled Seats

Adaptive Headlights

Cons:

Old man's car (I'm 31)

Sits lower

Poor visibility

No Trailer Hitch

Limited cargo room, no fold down seats

Outdated tech (no remote start, BLISS, My Ford Touch)

No Vista Roof (double panel roof is deceptive, it's no bigger than a standard moonroof over the driver's head)

Limited selection, can only choose black interior which I don't really want.

2011 Edge:

Pros:

Tall SUV Ride Height

More comfortable seating for my 6'3" frame

Cargo space and fold flat seats

Vista Roof (The biggest pro IMO)

My Ford Touch

Remote Start

Age Appropriate

Trailer Tow

I can build to exactly my specifications

Cons:

Terrible Value at the moment

Not as stylish or prestigious

Lesser Material quality?

Lesser NVH qualities?

Weaker Performance

So help me out, what should I do? Am I crazy for giving up the MKS for an Edge, or is the Edge going to make me more happy in the end because it gives me more freedom to do what I want?

Oh yeah and i would NOT pay more... Way more for an Edge then a fully loaded EB Lincoln MKS. I also am 31. Its not and old man car. Base car in gold maybe just maybe. Other then that it get a ton of looks and "hey sharp car dude" Go for it.

MKS FTW. Im in one now and LOVE IT!!!!! In the last 2 years have had 2 Edge (I know not the 2011) 2 2010 Fusion Sport 1 Milan and now the MKS and it is a GREAT GREAT car you will LOVE IT!!

You guys are doing a good job convincing me to go with MKS. i spent more time with it on Friday and was reminded how spectacular a Lincoln interior is compared to Ford. It feels nice to step into that car, even if it feels like I'm crawling into it ;) I haven't quite found a comfortable seating position in it yet, which worries me because I may never find one. But like anything else, I'm pretty sure I'll figure out what works for me. And besides, as a Ford-o-phile, it's good to own Ford's flagship. And it will be nice to spend quality time with a D3 chassis and EB. If I get the Edge, I would essentially have the same experience and not really understand what the other half of the Ford lineup is about (I've owned and experience every other CD3 car). At the end of 2 years, I bet I will be mourning this car's return and moaning about the "downgrade" to an Edge/MKX ;). Who knows, maybe in 2 years ford will have a decent MKZ around ;).

You guys are doing a good job convincing me to go with MKS. i spent more time with it on Friday and was reminded how spectacular a Lincoln interior is compared to Ford. It feels nice to step into that car, even if it feels like I'm crawling into it ;) I haven't quite found a comfortable seating position in it yet, which worries me because I may never find one. But like anything else, I'm pretty sure I'll figure out what works for me. And besides, as a Ford-o-phile, it's good to own Ford's flagship. And it will be nice to spend quality time with a D3 chassis and EB. If I get the Edge, I would essentially have the same experience and not really understand what the other half of the Ford lineup is about (I've owned and experience every other CD3 car). At the end of 2 years, I bet I will be mourning this car's return and moaning about the "downgrade" to an Edge/MKX ;). Who knows, maybe in 2 years ford will have a decent MKZ around ;).

You have the "Lincoln Fever" and your not going to be happy with any other Ford product. You just made reference to that in your 2nd sentence...Lincoln taste and Lincoln pocket book wins every time..

Now they are tied! Arrgh!

Okay, I think I'm going to have to declare the MKS the winner. Time to try something new I suppose, and at least I stay in the Lincoln fold. I can't believe the one time I wanted to buy a Ford and the Lincoln beat it on price ;).

So here we go back to a car! Farewell Vista roof, I'm gong to miss you for the next couple of years :(. Hello Ecoboost!

That is, unless, that 2010 MKX with 426/month on the sticker I saw this weekend is the deal I think it is! We shall see, I think my dealer is going to fight me on it however.

Well, i was fully prepared to go for the Edge ;). I just hope my next car is the 2012 MKX with a better lease rate than 612/month (yeesh!).

Why not just be patient, wait for the MKX to show up at dealer probably very soon, drive it, check it out throughly, sleep on it a few nights, and then maybe negotiate a best deal, and take it from there. Since the MKX is Lincoln's newest product, good idea to at least check it out before making important decision you have to live with for years. Patience is a virtue, not a flaw.

Why not just be patient, wait for the MKX to show up at dealer probably very soon, drive it, check it out throughly, sleep on it a few nights, and then maybe negotiate a best deal, and take it from there. Since the MKX is Lincoln's newest product, good idea to at least check it out before making important decision you have to live with for years. Patience is a virtue, not a flaw.

I really want the 2011 MKX, but the lease rate is astronomical so I've written it off as my next vehicle

Like I said, at least wating for the MKX to hit dealership and driving it would be nice and compare it to Edge before making final decision would be nice way to go. And compare it to MKS. There are ways of reducing the lease rate like coming up with a little more cash for downpayment. Or maybe Ford will throw a little more cash on hood when vehicle arrives if preorders are below expectations. Again, patience and thoroughness sometimes pays off and at least end up with vehicle you really wanted and don't end up settling which brings buyer remorse.

Like I said, at least wating for the MKX to hit dealership and driving it would be nice and compare it to Edge before making final decision would be nice way to go. And compare it to MKS. There are ways of reducing the lease rate like coming up with a little more cash for downpayment. Or maybe Ford will throw a little more cash on hood when vehicle arrives if preorders are below expectations. Again, patience and thoroughness sometimes pays off and at least end up with vehicle you really wanted and don't end up settling which brings buyer remorse.

Putting cash up front doesn't change the total cost of the lease. He obviously doesn't want to spend that much so it doesn't matter how nice it is. Ford isn't going to throw big rebates on a brand new vehicle like the MKX right away.

I didn't sense any remorse over not getting the MKX.

Putting cash up front doesn't change the total cost of the lease. He obviously doesn't want to spend that much so it doesn't matter how nice it is. Ford isn't going to throw big rebates on a brand new vehicle like the MKX right away.

I didn't sense any remorse over not getting the MKX.

Hmmmm...I said putting bigger downpayment down changes the lease rate, not the total cost of the lease, and I said Ford may throw down a little more cash on the hood, not a lot. And I did sense some remorse from Borg. After all, he does drive an MKX, not a MKS or an Edge. He will do what he will do, but the MKX review should be out shortly along with the vehicle itself. It will be interesting to see how they compare them and if there is any more differnentiation between the two than with 2010 model.

Well, I didn't get the MKS today like I expected, largely because I caught my dealer trying to pull one on me by rolling in my last lease payment into the price of an MKX I wanted (essentially telling me he would take care of last month's payment. but not telling me he planned to take it out of my incentive money). Needless to say I'm infuriated and don't trust the dealership so I'm shopping around other dealers and inclined to wait for the 2011 Edge or MKX at this point. I've never had such a miserable experience shopping for a car, I'm burned out and not happy with my choices. I want the 2011 MKX, that has always been the car I wanted and I'm not going to be happy until I get it so I think I'm going to stick it out and hope for the best. If not, I'll get the Edge.

Now I'm happy the Edge is leading again :).

One of the dealers I talked to did warn me that I should push my Lease into October because that's when the residuals are reassessed so I can expected much better lease pricing on these cars. And if I wait until December (pushing my lease farther up) I should benefit form some end-of-year incentives.

Oh, and guess what I spotted at the Lincoln dealership after hours tonight? .

web.jpg?ver=12826250980001

Yes, I am stalking my cars now! I bet you never thought you'd meet anybody this intense on an MKX? They just arrived today and I'm hoping to get some personal time with one. This has everything I want, except the canyon interior and trailer-tow package. But it's tuxedo black, with Nav, Vista, AWD, and a few other things that get bundled with it

Edited by BORG

I know you're half in love with the new MKX, but your reaction to the Edge makes me think you're not Quite ready for (another) commitment wink.gif:

WOW that black Edge Sport is just stunning! That one has Borgy written all over it!!!! Just brilliant design in this car, it makes me so happy they got this one so right on. That fascia should be a lesson in distinctive design and how it should be executed (wish the new Explorer fascia benefited from this example).

I actually like the Ford non-Sony center stack better, wish we could see more of that. The Sony panel is neat but not as cohesive with the design. I would certainly prefer to keep the Audio upgrade of course.

and

- since I abhor either/or choices

- and I see you're now entertaining thoughts of other vehicles:

The Flex isn't for me, not a big fan. The cars I like come down to Taurus, Edge, Explorer, MKX, and MKS. The MKX clearly is the chosen-one in my life.

why not start another Poll thread with all those choices?

- could prove interesting

- we've got a couple weeks yet of slow news (afaik)

- & maybe you can eventually get your own Section @ BON biggrin.gif

Edited by 2b2

Well, I didn't get the MKS today like I expected, largely because I caught my dealer trying to pull one on me by rolling in my last lease payment into the price of an MKX I wanted (essentially telling me he would take care of last month's payment. but not telling me he planned to take it out of my incentive money). Needless to say I'm infuriated and don't trust the dealership so I'm shopping around other dealers and inclined to wait for the 2011 Edge or MKX at this point. I've never had such a miserable experience shopping for a car, I'm burned out and not happy with my choices. I want the 2011 MKX, that has always been the car I wanted and I'm not going to be happy until I get it so I think I'm going to stick it out and hope for the best. If not, I'll get the Edge.

Now I'm happy the Edge is leading again :).

One of the dealers I talked to did warn me that I should push my Lease into October because that's when the residuals are reassessed so I can expected much better lease pricing on these cars. And if I wait until December (pushing my lease farther up) I should benefit form some end-of-year incentives.

Oh, and guess what I spotted at the Lincoln dealership after hours tonight? .

web.jpg?ver=12826250980001

Yes, I am stalking my cars now! I bet you never thought you'd meet anybody this intense on an MKX? They just arrived today and I'm hoping to get some personal time with one. This has everything I want, except the canyon interior and trailer-tow package. But it's tuxedo black, with Nav, Vista, AWD, and a few other things that get bundled with it

Sounds to me like MKX is what really is true to your heart. If pushing the lease until October (or even December) is something you're not a fan of for whatever reason, then may I suggest something else? (This is pending that you don't use the vehicle for its "image" as a work vehicle.) What about turning the MKX you currently own in and buying a cheap beater for a few months? Saves you from lease extension, saves you money by not making any payments on anything, and then it's a no-brainer. Again, you may just want to do the lease extension if being seen in a beater bothers you. But hey, it's a thought. Then you could keep the beater to take anywhere you would like NOT to have the new MKX. Or just sell it outright and try to make a buck or two. Or, just have some stupid fun treating it like a rental...

At least this way, come October (or December), you'll know what the rates for the MKX will be, and then you erase any chance of the infamous "coulda-woulda" disease. If the MKX rates remain ridiculous, then go for whatever is in your gut, at least you'll know.

Edited by OHV 16V

BORG, I am glad you backed off the MKS. While I love mine, based on your posts, I just didn't think it fit your needs. Had it not been for what seemed like a good lease deal, I am not sure you would have considered an MKS at all. Deciding on a particular vehicle just because of "the deal" can be risky from a long-term satisfaction standpoint.