2010 Fusion Sport issues / You input Please

lincolnman

I have enjoyed my 2010 Sport for about 10 months now and have about 10k on the clock. As far as styling, options, performance,gas mileage and enjoyment of driving in the city and on the road I absolutely love the car.

But I have a couple of issues I'd like some input that maybe others might have experienced these as well. Early on I worked at the dealer level and know just enough to make me dangerous. I know Tech flat rates have changed and techs are not paid like they once were to diagnosis drive line,suspension and drive ability issues. So being told by a Service writer that this is normal has become the norm.

Here we go:

1. Front Tire Ware: I have about 10K on the vehicle and both front tires have worn down the tread on the outside, Although this was corrected at 6k with an alignment they continue to ware. During a recent Oil change the tech listed the front as worn 7/32 the rear 9/32.

I do not have any vibration and even though the GoodYears are noisy its not bad. The fronts just looks awful. And continue to ware on the edge. I've increase the pressure to 35 don't corner hard. My service writer stated I should ask Ford for assistance in replacing the fronts. This is in the works but will they continue to ware ? Had I rotated them I would be replacing four instead of just two at this point.

2. Noise in the front end: My parents have a gravel drive, Every time I go to their house there is a distinct rattle and creaking in the front suspension and it is getting to me. This weekend there is also a now noticeable high pitched squeak. Sounds also like something is rubbing against the firewall. Could this be linked to the tire ware?

Also hear some of this on speed bumps. Or if the car is turned to the left and under stress like on a hill. On a long test drive

i could not duplicate all these noises (could not find a gravel road) but the ones that did the tech said it was normal for front wheel drive.

3. Engine: Every fourth or fifth time I start the engine it feels as if it is miss firing. More pronounced when the motor is hot. Most of the time I turn the key and it is smooth as silk. But on the fourth and fifth try it sounds like it is misfiring and sometime I hear something rubbing against the firewall.

All this has been addressed with my dealer but I taking it back and waging war if I have to. These issues should not be there and should be corrected. I have been told to many times this is normal. And I know its not.

Has anyone else has experienced these issues.

I realize some of this may be my dealer as well.

Should I take it to another dealer or is this just normal as I have been told and just live with it.

Thanks for you input.

Lincolnman

• 4 weeks later...

Does your 3.5 in your Sport tick pretty loud at cold start then go away after a couple minutes. This is driving me nuts, emarrassing and the dealer says it is normal.

Why dont these cars have the outside temp?

the tick is normal on the engines. i asked about this on both the 3.0 and the 3.5. and it is apparently emissions related.

to the OP: do as critic suggested. bad shocks can squeak (or make a popping sound) and can wear out tires faster.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh thank god someone brought up the engine tick in the 3.5. I auto started my dad's Z today (it was our first really cold morning here) and it sounded awful for the first 5 minutes. It sounded like something was coming in contact with the belt. After it warmed up it was perfectly fine....guess it is a 'characteristic' of the car then?

At 23K, my Sport (all options except AWD & navi) has been flawless.

This is a great car. Only thing I'd like is HID headlights.

Mostly the same here. Almost trouble-free at 25,000 miles in just 13 months. I did have a coil pack on the #4 cylinder go bad, but the dealer quickly fixed it under warranty. And it's still tight as a drum - No rattles, squeaks, etc. The only things I'd change are design issues as opposed to any reliability or quality concerns. I'd have preferred a spoiler-delete option. I hate the headrests poking into the back of my head. And true paddle shifters would have been a real treat. I still recommend this car highly. I like it so much I still haven't driven the 1989 5.0 hardly at all since I got the Fusion Sport AWD. Can't wait for a turbo-4 in the next iteration.

Edited by 89-Pony

• 3 months later...

At 23K, my Sport (all options except AWD & navi) has been flawless.

This is a great car. Only thing I'd like is HID headlights.

Mine has been flawless too, but don't get me started on the headlights.... :banghead: Those things are about worthless in the dark, I have to use my brights more on this car than any in the past. I'm definitely going to look into upgrading the bulbs, maybe to HID.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine has been flawless too, but don't get me started on the headlights.... :banghead: Those things are about worthless in the dark, I have to use my brights more on this car than any in the past. I'm definitely going to look into upgrading the bulbs, maybe to HID.

I have to ask...

Have you ever bothered to aim them, or at least have them aimed? If they aren't pointed correctly the best bulbs in the world are useless.

My Fusion has headlights that are nothing short of excellent. The only change I have made is to put Philips Extravision in the low beam units, and then aim them CAREFULLY and correctly.

The low beams are so good that I almost never use the highs even on the Interstates.. And this is from an old guy in his sixties where the night vision is supposedly going.

The cheapest mod you can make to improve your lights is getting them aimed. Trust me.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to ask...

Have you ever bothered to aim them, or at least have them aimed? If they aren't pointed correctly the best bulbs in the world are useless.

My Fusion has headlights that are nothing short of excellent. The only change I have made is to put Philips Extravision in the low beam units, and then aim them CAREFULLY and correctly.

The low beams are so good that I almost never use the highs even on the Interstates.. And this is from an old guy in his sixties where the night vision is supposedly going.

The cheapest mod you can make to improve your lights is getting them aimed. Trust me.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely look into it, right now they do seem like they're aimed too low.

• 3 months later...

Every couple of weeks my 10 Sport with 10,000 miles doesnt start. It cranks till I turn back the ignition or it cuts off automatically after cranking for while.

What up with this, a could picture the dealer giving me the ' we didnt have it happen to us" line.

• 2 months later...

I thought I had a body rattle in my '11 Explorer and it was driving me nuts since the truck has only 10k miles on it. I sat in back while my wife drove and recognized the noise immediately as the license plate vibrating. I tightened the top two bolts and added two bottom ones and the rattle was gone.

Just sayin... In case it comes up...

Is there any talk of the updated 3.5L making it into the Fusion? Any discussion of a coupe version of the next gen Fusion as there was a few years back regarding the current model? I would seriously consider a Sport Coupe with 290HP and AWD if they ever made one.

• Like 1

Is there any talk of the updated 3.5L making it into the Fusion? Any discussion of a coupe version of the next gen Fusion as there was a few years back regarding the current model? I would seriously consider a Sport Coupe with 290HP and AWD if they ever made one.

Talk is you'll only get 4-cylinders in the all-new 2013 models. All Eco-Tec turbos of one kind or another.

Yeah, Eco-something. I have a feeling the only way you're going to get V6s is to spend big dollars on a Taurus or something similar. There is such a huge push ti increase MPGs thanks to Obama's new rules that performance is going to go away. Welcome back to the late 1970's!

Every couple of weeks my 10 Sport with 10,000 miles doesnt start. It cranks till I turn back the ignition or it cuts off automatically after cranking for while.

What up with this, a could picture the dealer giving me the ' we didnt have it happen to us" line.

It is no 'line'. If it can't be reproduced it can't be fixed. There is no magic bullet. Since it happens once every couple weeks, it probably wont be reproduced unless you let the tech drive it everyday for a couple weeks. If you are concerned enough ask about a VDR.