Lincoln MKExplorer

41 members have voted

1. 1. Should Lincoln get the Explorer?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • They already have the MKT, that's it!

My point was when you like something personally you say Ford did it right and when YOU don't like something you say Ford got it wrong. If you were the only customer then you'd be right. But you're not and there is a good chance that the designs you don't like sell better and make more profit for Ford than the ones you like.

Why can't you (and others that do the same thing) just say "I don't like it" and leave it at that? There's no such thing in design as "right" or "wrong".

Lets face it, Ford has a few questionably styled cars. The only cars I agree with on Borg's list is the MKT and the tail lights on the Mustang. Get the MKT in black LOL, I can ignore the tail lights on the Mustang I guess. There's a fairly large consensus (reviews, people on here) on the MKT, enough so I wouldn't be surprised if it gets restyled or dumped. Here an MKE would make a great replacement. The MKT is not Aztec, or Cube ugly but no-one that I have heard or read has called it beautiful or even handsome...the interior is a very nice though.

Other cars I have minor complaints about are with the new "toothy chrome" grills (Edge/Fusion) and the outgoing Focus.

For the record...

Cars designs that make me vomit...

Expedtion/Navigator(the uglist car on the road IMO)

MKT

E-Series (the 2nd ugliest)

F-Series SuperDuty

There isn't a single Ford or Lincoln I would consider great design, but my favorite design overall goes to the car I own or the Ford Edge/Taurus/MKS. Notice the NI are the vehicles selling the best ;).

While I concede that the Expy may put function ahead of form, and the profile isn't different enough from the 1st and 2nd gen, ugliest on the road?

FORD.jpg

2007Expedition_interior.jpg

The Fusion upsets me largely because I feel the design is soundly outclassed by every competitor (Sonata, Malibu, Altima, Accord, and even Camry). Same goes for the Expedition/Navigator (Name your GM poison). And the Mustang redesign was too tepid, no real commitment to any real design language, the lines are soft and undefined which wasn't the case with the 2005 model. The problem is made worse when you look at the strong expressive design from the Camaro.

The Fusion does have some design attributes which I really like, namely the destinctive fascia which is the only part of the design which I feel really works, but the rest of the car looks extremely dated and doesn't take advantage of modern design trends, like sculpted beltlines to beef up the slab-sided and blocky profile. They actually worsened the design of the rear of the car, making it appear even more dated than the original design which I thought had one of the more elegant bums in the business, nicely curved with very simple and eleagantly resolved lines that balanced with the body. For 2010 They went ahead and dented the drunk in, added a notch to the lamps, and viola...a big mess of lines that worsened the design and made no sense on the car, it was just change for changes sake and good designs be damned! So yeah, the Fusion frustrates me because it represents too much compromise and bad decisions.

And of course, this is just my opinion but I want to try and communicate the visceral reaction some shoppers have to certain designs when they cross-shop. It could go something like this..."oh the Hyundai looks so much more safer than the Fusion!" or "The Accord looks so much better made" and it may have something to do with that sculptural look to the sheetmetal which looks modern and beefier. You have to get into the head of shoppers who shop on their emotions and design is critical when communicating to a potential constomer.

Edited by BORG

I do understand the slab sided dated doors of the Fusion, but lets remember, this was a mid-cycle update and Ford admitted it would have been expensive to create a new stamping for it. Lets remember in a little over a year or so, we get the Mondeo one. As it is, sales are increasing anyways.

It could go something like this..."oh the Hyundai looks so much more safer than the Fusion!" or "The Accord looks so much better made"  and it may have something to do with that sculptural look to the sheetmetal which looks modern and beefier.  You have to get into the head of shoppers who shop on their emotions and design is critical when communicating to a potential constomer.

Or, it could go something like this..."oh the Fusion looks so much more safer than the Hyundai!" or "The Fusion looks so much better made"  and it may have something to do with that sculptural look to the sheetmetal which looks modern and beefier.  :)

The Fusion upsets me largely because I feel the design is soundly outclassed by every competitor (Sonata, Malibu, Altima, Accord, and even Camry). Same goes for the Expedition/Navigator (Name your GM poison). And the Mustang redesign was too tepid, no real commitment to any real design language, the lines are soft and undefined which wasn't the case with the 2005 model. The problem is made worse when you look at the strong expressive design from the Camaro.

The Fusion does have some design attributes which I really like, namely the destinctive fascia which is the only part of the design which I feel really works, but the rest of the car looks extremely dated and doesn't take advantage of modern design trends, like sculpted beltlines to beef up the slab-sided and blocky profile. They actually worsened the design of the rear of the car, making it appear even more dated than the original design which I thought had one of the more elegant bums in the business, nicely curved with very simple and eleagantly resolved lines that balanced with the body. For 2010 They went ahead and dented the drunk in, added a notch to the lamps, and viola...a big mess of lines that worsened the design and made no sense on the car, it was just change for changes sake and good designs be damned! So yeah, the Fusion frustrates me because it represents too much compromise and bad decisions.

And of course, this is just my opinion but I want to try and communicate the visceral reaction some shoppers have to certain designs when they cross-shop. It could go something like this..."oh the Hyundai looks so much more safer than the Fusion!" or "The Accord looks so much better made" and it may have something to do with that sculptural look to the sheetmetal which looks modern and beefier. You have to get into the head of shoppers who shop on their emotions and design is critical when communicating to a potential constomer.

This is a clear case of personal preference. I think the Mustang looks light years better than the cartoonish Camaro and the Fusion looks way better than any of the ones you mention, especially the Sonata and Camry. I also think the Expedition looks better than any GM SUV but I agree about the Navigator.

We know the new Mustang will be totally different and the CD4 Fusion should also be much different so you may get your wish soon.