Focus Shipping Yet?

fusion37

I got confirmation this afternoon that our Dealership's first retail 2012 Focus order was scheduled today. Retail scheduling was "on hold" until the "OK to Buy" status was issued which usually happens with a new model's shipping release. As such, it appears that we'll finally start seeing the the 2012 Focus arriving soon!

• Like 2

I got confirmation this afternoon that our Dealership's first retail 2012 Focus order was scheduled today. Retail scheduling was "on hold" until the "OK to Buy" status was issued which usually happens with a new model's shipping release. As such, it appears that we'll finally start seeing the the 2012 Focus arriving soon!

YAY!!!! :hyper: :happy feet:

Well hopefully the ones that did get scheduled were the ones ordered when the order bank first opened in October. I ordered the end of November and unfortunately it didn't get scheduled this week. I hope they are considerate to the people that have already waited almost 4 months with no schedule date. The difficult part is this is only the first step, and there will be a few more months of waiting even after they get scheduled. This doesn't take into account delays such as suppliers, shipping, weather, etc. In reality, customers will be getting their vehicles if they are lucky by summer, which doesn't coinside their advertising that they will be available to purchase "early 2011". I forsee my particular wait to be around 6 months, which seems incomprehensible. I understand some of the wait, but I also feel disappointed.

Edited by svtenthusiast

Well hopefully the ones that did get scheduled were the ones ordered when the order bank first opened in October. I ordered the end of November and unfortunately it didn't get scheduled this week. I hope they are considerate to the people that have already waited almost 4 months with no schedule date. The difficult part is this is only the first step, and there will be a few more months of waiting even after they get scheduled. Then we move into delays such as suppliers, shipping, weather, etc. In reality, customers will be getting their vehicles if they are lucky by summer, which doesn't coinside their advertising that they will be available to purchase "early 2011". I forsee my particular wait to be around 6 months, which seems incomprehensible. I understand some of the wait, but I also feel disappointed.

I think you are being overly pessimistic. I think most people who pre-ordered will have them in April. Many of the Stock vehicles that are being scheduled are being scheduled 1.5-2 weeks before their build date, and then usually the ETA to the dealer is about a week after that (although it depends how far they have to ship it to you).

Well hopefully the ones that did get scheduled were the ones ordered when the order bank first opened in October. I ordered the end of November and unfortunately it didn't get scheduled this week. I hope they are considerate to the people that have already waited almost 4 months with no schedule date. The difficult part is this is only the first step, and there will be a few more months of waiting even after they get scheduled. Then we move into delays such as suppliers, shipping, weather, etc. In reality, customers will be getting their vehicles if they are lucky by summer, which doesn't coinside their advertising that they will be available to purchase "early 2011". I forsee my particular wait to be around 6 months, which seems incomprehensible. I understand some of the wait, but I also feel disappointed.

I think you are being overly pessimistic. I think most people who pre-ordered will have them in April. Many of the Stock vehicles that are being scheduled are being scheduled 1.5-2 weeks before their build date, and then usually the ETA to the dealer is about a week after that (although it depends how far they have to ship it to you).

I understand your viewpoint, and everyone has different feelings. We have been hearing about this car since they introduced this early order rebate back in October. Some of us have been patiently waiting since then, and had the understanding that they would begin scheduling our cars in January. When that didn't happen, questions were asked, and we found out that Ford decided, on this particular launch, to not schedule any retails until the OK to ship cleared. So then we have an undetermined wait. All the while, much effort is being put into advertising, building up momentum to sell these cars, increase showroom traffic while there were months of unknowns when these cars would be released. Who expected when they ordered their car last October and November that it would even be April, let alone May, which will be the 6 month mark for my wait. The early supporters---customers who ordered last year, including myself, had false impressions that we could expect arrival of our cars "early 2011". Maybe I was expecting or hoping more than others, but I don't think I am being unreasonable. So now we hear some retails being scheduled, which doesn't include my order, and I have to wonder why and how much longer is it going to take. It's a reality that it can take 2 months from a time a vehicle is scheduled to the day it arrives at the dealer, and sometimes can take longer.

I do have experience in this process. To make a long story short I have special ordered 5 new vehicles in the past 10 years. The last one, my 2010 Fusion was one of the first built. I ordered it in November of 2008, it was built Feburary 2009 and I didn't recieve it until until May 2009. It sat in a holding lot for 3 months until it shipped. Never thought I would be going through this process again, but such is life.

I understand your viewpoint, and everyone has different feelings. We have been hearing about this car since they introduced this early order rebate back in October. Some of us have been patiently waiting since then, and had the understanding that they would begin scheduling our cars in January. When that didn't happen, questions were asked, and we found out that Ford decided, on this particular launch, to not schedule any retails until the OK to ship cleared. So then we have an undetermined wait. All the while, much effort is being put into advertising, building up momentum to sell these cars, increase showroom traffic while there were months of unknowns when these cars would be released. Who expected when they ordered their car last October and November that it would even be April, let alone May, which will be the 6 month mark for my wait. The early supporters---customers who ordered last year, including myself, had false impressions that we could expect arrival of our cars "early 2011". Maybe I was expecting or hoping more than others, but I don't think I am being unreasonable. So now we hear some retails being scheduled, which doesn't include my order, and I have to wonder why and how much longer is it going to take. It's a reality that it can take 2 months from a time a vehicle is scheduled to the day it arrives at the dealer, and sometimes can take longer.

I do have experience in this process. To make a long story short I have special ordered 5 new vehicles in the past 10 years. The last one, my 2010 Fusion was one of the first built. I ordered it in November of 2008, it was built Feburary 2009 and I didn't recieve it until until May 2009. It sat in a holding lot for 3 months until it shipped. Never thought I would be going through this process again, but such is life.

So your car hasn't been scheduled in the 24hrs since the hold was lifted, and that means the end of the world? All the documents that I saw said 'Spring 2011', and they seem to be right on track with that. Yes, lots of people got their hopes up (including me) because they started building cars at the start of the year, and thought they would be coming earlier, but that's not Fords fault - they said Spring.

Sure, it could still go all pear-shaped, but I don't personally see any reason to think they won't hit their target yet.

This is a 2012 car! First time produced off of a plant with all new equipment. The car will be worth the wait..We are running smoother with every day that passes. We are working 6 & 7 days a week to get your car to you.

And I appreciate it!

I'm tempted to go drive by the plant today (have the day off and not doing anything). No good reason to, but I'm a dork like that...

So your car hasn't been scheduled in the 24hrs since the hold was lifted, and that means the end of the world? All the documents that I saw said 'Spring 2011', and they seem to be right on track with that. Yes, lots of people got their hopes up (including me) because they started building cars at the start of the year, and thought they would be coming earlier, but that's not Fords fault - they said Spring.

Sure, it could still go all pear-shaped, but I don't personally see any reason to think they won't hit their target yet.

You are taking my words out of context. End of the world? Huh. Cars only get scheduled once a week. Which means another week passed.

It is Ford's fault that they didn't early communcicate with dealers on this particular launch that they were going to hold retail order scheduling until the OK to ship. This is a new process. This holds up retail order banks until yesterday. This means stock unsold orders hit the dealership floor before sold customer orders. This leaves dealers getting bombarded with customers asking where their cars are while dealers don't have good answers. This allows someone to stroll off the street and be happily driving a 2012 Focus months before another customer that ordered back in October or November.

I was posting my disappointment, not looking for answers, not looking for sympathy. I have had more information on this process than most, yet that doen't mean I can't express my concerns and feelings on that process. In my opinion, i don't think it's too much to ask for reasonable communication, wait times, and carefully crafted processes to make sure the people who have been waiting the longest to get their cars scheduled first (step 1) and then built and out the door. Most customers like myself can understand some sort of wait with a new factory and all new platform, but we also expect to be informed so we can understand why it could take 6 months to aquire a new car. With learning some retails got scheduled yesterday, brings up my original questioning on that process.

Edited by svtenthusiast

That is precisely the reason Ford did not start scheduling retail Focus orders until OKTB. They did not want customer ordered vehicles sitting in a lot waiting for repairs/reinspection while dealer stock orders were being shipped out.

The only thing Ford can possibly do in this scenario is either stop talking pre-orders until OKTB occurs (which would be silly) or push out the advertised arrival dates by 2-3 months to allow for delays.

Come to think of it - I don't remember Ford advertising any specific ship dates. The actual Job 1 dates came from Ford dealer publications and internal docs and from plant employees. So while your disappointment is understood I don't see where Ford did anything wrong with early retail orders. They're building them as fast as possible while ensuring quality and that just takes longer.

This is a 2012 car! First time produced off of a plant with all new equipment. The car will be worth the wait..We are running smoother with every day that passes. We are working 6 & 7 days a week to get your car to you.

Thank you for your efforts and your updates! Believe me, my words have nothing to do with processes at your level. It's decisions and communications being made at the planning and coordination level.

It is Ford's fault that they didn't readily communcicate on this particular launch that they were going to hold retails until the OK to ship. This is a new process. This holds up retail order banks until yesterday. This means stock unsold orders hit the dealership floor before sold customer orders.

I don't think that's accurate at all. I don't think anything gets shipped out until OKTB. The ones that are produced are held for inspection and potential repair. Once they get OKTB the new ones off the line start shipping, then the ones that are being held and are inspected, fixed if necessary and then shipped. Holding the retail orders until OKTB means you will get your car SOONER than if it had been built before OKTB.

This is exactly what happened last year with the Mustangs. People had their mustangs sitting in a hold lot waiting for repairs while stock orders rolled in and out the door. I don't know if it was the same case with the Fusions but it's likely.

And Ford never advertised a launch date other then Spring. Just because you got inside info and got your hopes up prematurely isn't Ford's fault. You should be glad Ford is doing it this way because it ensures that YOUR vehicle with have the highest possible quality.

That is precisely the reason Ford did not start scheduling retail Focus orders until OKTB. They did not want customer ordered vehicles sitting in a lot waiting for repairs/reinspection while dealer stock orders were being shipped out.

The only thing Ford can possibly do in this scenario is either stop talking pre-orders until OKTB occurs (which would be silly) or push out the advertised arrival dates by 2-3 months to allow for delays.

Come to think of it - I don't remember Ford advertising any specific ship dates. The actual Job 1 dates came from Ford dealer publications and internal docs and from plant employees. So while your disappointment is understood I don't see where Ford did anything wrong with early retail orders. They're building them as fast as possible while ensuring quality and that just takes longer.

Akirby, thanks for acknowledging that you understand my disappointment.

I am not speaking ship dates, but Job 1 dates and getting an estimate of arrival off of that. They have been pusing the "early 2011" mantra on about every public document and advertisement on the 2012 Focus.

Another thing that's rough is now that advertising has been in full swing for months, it's like OK....I agree.......now let me buy one!!! I am tired of hearing about it.....I want to "drive one".

I don't think that's accurate at all. I don't think anything gets shipped out until OKTB. The ones that are produced are held for inspection and potential repair. Once they get OKTB the new ones off the line start shipping, then the ones that are being held and are inspected, fixed if necessary and then shipped. Holding the retail orders until OKTB means you will get your car SOONER than if it had been built before OKTB.

This is exactly what happened last year with the Mustangs. People had their mustangs sitting in a hold lot waiting for repairs while stock orders rolled in and out the door. I don't know if it was the same case with the Fusions but it's likely.

And Ford never advertised a launch date other then Spring. Just because you got inside info and got your hopes up prematurely isn't Ford's fault. You should be glad Ford is doing it this way because it ensures that YOUR vehicle with have the highest possible quality.

Not shipping, scheduling. Big difference. At least if my car is scheduled, you have some idea on dates. This way there is no information on the car other than it being unscheduled with the original order date in the system.

Example...........if retail orders were scheduled like they used to be.........now that the OK to ship has been lifted we would have ETA's on arrival the end of this month. As it stands, any retail orders that will be scheduled have around 2 more months to wait.

Full swing????? For months????? No way jose. Now you're just exagerrating.

Wow....I am impressed at how much defense I am getting on this.

OK....you want examples. I have been following this car since I ordered it. These are just the examples that I have been a part of. I am talking about all publications and communications to customers on the 2012 Focus. You can't only count the recent TV commercials as all advertising.

March 2010....first look at the 2012 Ford Focus at the Chicago Auto show.

October 2010....Announcement of $500 tech rebate for pre-orders.

December 2010.....I added "Ford Focus" on Facebook. They have been posting stuff on the Focus at least weekly, if not daily since then. Go to their Facebook wall to verify dates.

January 2011.....2012 Focus at Detroit auto show.

Feburary 2011.....Press release and many articles and videos on the 2012 Focus.

Feburary 2011.....Ford Focus rally commercials for the Super Bowl.......daily videos on Hulu on the Focus rally following them since last week.

Feburary 2011....2012 Focus at Chicago Auto Show

Feburary 2011.....2012 Focus featured on "The Amazing Race" TV show

March 2011.....15 second TV commercials shown first on American Idol

Edited by svtenthusiast

All I know is what my salesman told me. I asked him what my priority numer will be and if my car will ship to the dealership before dealer stock orders. He told me I'll get a priority 10 and the dealership puts priority on customer orders over dealer orders. Now, what that means as far as when my car will arrive, I don't know. I was told to expect an 8 to 12 week wait.

Wow....I am impressed at how much defense I am getting on this.

OK....you want examples. I have been following this car since I ordered it. These are just the examples that I have been a part of. I am talking about all publications and communications to customers on the 2012 Focus. You can't only count the recent TV commercials as all advertising.

March 2010....first look at the 2012 Ford Focus at the Chicago Auto show.

December 2010.....I added "Ford Focus" on Facebook. They have been posting stuff on the Focus at least weekly, if not daily since then. Go to their Facebook wall to verify dates.

January 2011.....2012 Focus at Detroit auto show.

Feburary 2011.....Press release and many articles and videos on the 2012 Focus.

Feburary 2011.....Ford Focus rally commercials for the Super Bowl.......daily videos on Hulu on the Focus rally following them since last week.

Feburary 2011....2012 Focus at Chicago Auto Show

Feburary 2011.....2012 Focus featured on "The Amazing Race" TV show

March 2011.....15 second TV commercials shown first on American Idol

That's what auto shows are for - to show future product. Did the auto show say it would be available before April?

Ford had the Fiesta movement for at least a year before the actual car arrived here for sale - was that misleading advertising?

Sending pre-production information to prospecitve buyers is not the same as an advertising blitz telling people to come buy the car. That's my definition of "full swing" - tv, print and web ads aimed directly at current buyers - not "featured on a tv show" or one 15 second commercial.

Look - I'm really not trying to argue too much here because I would be just as frustrated if I ordered the vehicle and had to wait. I just don't think you're being fair or objective saying that Ford is misleading you or not commnunicating properly. I think you simply got your expectations set too high based on internal information and assumptions about how job 1 and OKTB should work.

What did your dealer tell you? That's the only official source of info for a buyer. Their allocation and order priority also has an effect on your build date.

The front lot is full of new cars in all colors and models......drive by!

Over at the plant. Wow, that is a lot of cars! Also saw quite a few on Mich Ave, driving between lots.

I notice that a lot of them (>50%?) are on steel wheels.

Also see the trains and car carriers being loaded up!

People who have to be "first on the block" pay dearly for the thrill. Learned hard way it's best to wait till bugs are worked out, selection is better, pricing is competitive, etc. No need to impress people at all.

I can wait 2 years and avoid the headaches.