Focus Shipping Yet?

fusion37

That is precisely the reason Ford did not start scheduling retail Focus orders until OKTB. They did not want customer ordered vehicles sitting in a lot waiting for repairs/reinspection while dealer stock orders were being shipped out.

The only thing Ford can possibly do in this scenario is either stop talking pre-orders until OKTB occurs (which would be silly) or push out the advertised arrival dates by 2-3 months to allow for delays.

Come to think of it - I don't remember Ford advertising any specific ship dates. The actual Job 1 dates came from Ford dealer publications and internal docs and from plant employees. So while your disappointment is understood I don't see where Ford did anything wrong with early retail orders. They're building them as fast as possible while ensuring quality and that just takes longer.

I agree that I don't recall any 'official' dates from Ford and I ordered in late October or the first week in November. What we have here is the blessing and curse of the Internet: after a few days, speculation and opinions from a website, blog or message board are often accepted as fact.

No flaming anyone, I do it to. I really appreciate the guys/gals from the Detroit area who post here, as it provides information about what's going on in Ford and at the Wayne plant.

Keep the info flowing!

Edited by fusion37

People who have to be "first on the block" pay dearly for the thrill. Learned hard way it's best to wait till bugs are worked out, selection is better, pricing is competitive, etc. No need to impress people at all.

I can wait 2 years and avoid the headaches.

I wish I could have waited. Maybe Ford would have clued in and put paddle shifters on the PowerShift cars by then! However, my 2005 Mazda3 died unexpectedly (although it did have nearly 200,000 miles on it) and I needed a car. I would have likely bought a VW Golf or GTI if my Ford dealer hadn't sold me the 2007 Focus SES I'm driving at their cost, agreeing to buy it back at an agreed upon price based on date and mileage (I've already gone past the date, but not the mileage) when my 2012 Focus arrives. The car I really wanted was this next gen Focus, but I had planned on keeping my Mazda3 for another couple of years and waiting for the 2013 or 2014 Focus Titanium. But, it didn't work out that way, and I'm *extremely* excited to get my 2012 Focus Titanium hatchback!

Edited by Chibana

People who have to be "first on the block" pay dearly for the thrill. Learned hard way it's best to wait till bugs are worked out, selection is better, pricing is competitive, etc. No need to impress people at all.

I agree that you will pay dearly on new launches, but no so much on re-designs. Deals are out there if you're willing to put in the time and effort. I'm happy with the deal I got visiting four dealers and playing each offer off the other.

I also learned the hard way with the new 6 speed trans and re-designed heater system in the 2010 Fusion. With the Focus, the dual clutch trans has been out for a year in the Fiesta and it sounds like the bugs have been worked out. MyFord Touch has been adjusted and should be working now, electronic assisted power steering has been out a while, suspension upgrades aren't too complicated and should not have any issues and the Duratec is a proven design. The only potential problems might be with the Torque Vectoring Control system since it is new technology.

Edited by transitman

I also really appreciate the Ford workers that take the time to provide us with production updates! THANK YOU!!!!

As for the expectation of receiving our pre-ordered Foci, I do not feel that we have anything to worry about or that their is a lack of communication. With the green light being given yesterday, I would think that most people will receive their new car by the end of April....which is perfect for me as I would prefer that the snow be gone. I know that Ford is doing everything they can to ensure that the new Focus comes off of the production line as perfect as possible with the highest degree of quality control, and all of this extra attention because the Focus is a VERY important vehicle for Ford.

Hold-on and advise your dealership (sales manager) to contact you as soon as they receive the build date and VIN.

Thanks again to all of the Ford workers.....and please pass on our thanks down at the plant!!!

Wow....I am impressed at how much defense I am getting on this.

OK....you want examples. I have been following this car since I ordered it. These are just the examples that I have been a part of. I am talking about all publications and communications to customers on the 2012 Focus. You can't only count the recent TV commercials as all advertising.

March 2010....first look at the 2012 Ford Focus at the Chicago Auto show.

October 2010....Announcement of $500 tech rebate for pre-orders.

December 2010.....I added "Ford Focus" on Facebook. They have been posting stuff on the Focus at least weekly, if not daily since then. Go to their Facebook wall to verify dates.

January 2011.....2012 Focus at Detroit auto show.

Feburary 2011.....Press release and many articles and videos on the 2012 Focus.

Feburary 2011.....Ford Focus rally commercials for the Super Bowl.......daily videos on Hulu on the Focus rally following them since last week.

Feburary 2011....2012 Focus at Chicago Auto Show

Feburary 2011.....2012 Focus featured on "The Amazing Race" TV show

March 2011.....15 second TV commercials shown first on American Idol

Actually, the 2012 Focus made its first appearance at the 2010 North American (Detroit) Auto Show. A silver sedan and red 5-door hatch were shown.

I learned that with some of my electronic gadgets.

For a car; however, the big "advancements" seem to have already been on other vehicles, as others posted (PowerShift, MyFord Touch, Active Park Assist, EcoBoost - for those in the rest of the world). In some ways, it seemed Ford played it safe with the big features, having tested them on other vehicles first (with potentially less negative fallout).

I know I'm going to pay dearly, in terms of typical first-year bugs. However, I've been putting off a new car purchase for about 2 years now. In some ways, it's fitting to celebrate with a new car after reaching 500,000 km on my first Focus :)

• 3 weeks later...

I had a conversation with my dealer today and he said I have a VOC but no VIN yet. He added that retail orders are being held until all the bugs are worked out and for now only stock orders are shipping. That may be why all we are seeing arriving at dealerships are S and SE models without package options. It may also be the reason for the 30 mile test drive. I can't see them testing every car that comes off the line, so test the early builds so when retail orders are scheduled they will be perfect.

Heard rumblings again this week that they still might not be scheduling customer retail orders with MyFord Touch again this week. This is ridiculous. They are pushing into the 5th month of refusing to schedule customer orders. People are driving their new Focus out on the road while we continue to wait. I don't care what the excuses are, with software, whatever, best quality, blah blah blah. People didn't believe me when I said at least May before we would see our cars......look what's happening now.

First it was.....we are waiting until OK to ship.......well that was 3 weeks ago ladies and gents!

Then it was....well supplier problems from Japan.......

Then it was.....software glitches with MyFord Touch.....you mean you couldn't of cought this in the pre production cars you have been using for the past how many months before production. You know, the reason you have pre production cars to find this stuff? You used these in the Focus Rally and this never came up?

This week....sounds like the same story until the next excuse after another week passes.

Edited by svtenthusiast

Heard rumblings again this week that they still might not be scheduling customer retail orders with MyFord Touch again this week. This is ridiculous. They are pushing into the 5th month of refusing to schedule customer orders. People are driving their new Focus out on the road while we continue to wait. I don't care what the excuses are, with software, whatever, best quality, blah blah blah. People didn't believe me when I said at least May before we would see our cars......look what's happening now.

First it was.....we are waiting until OK to ship.......well that was 3 weeks ago ladies and gents!

Then it was....well supplier problems from Japan.......

Then it was.....software glitches with MyFord Touch.....you mean you couldn't of cought this in the pre production cars you have been using for the past how many months before production. You know, the reason you have pre production cars to find this stuff? You used these in the Focus Rally and this never came up?

This week....sounds like the same story until the next excuse after another week passes.

What excuses? Ford as not made a single excuse - because they haven't made any comments. As long as the cars are out by the end of may/early june they will keep the only public statement they have made - 'Spring 2011'

What excuses? Ford as not made a single excuse - because they haven't made any comments. As long as the cars are out by the end of may/early june they will keep the only public statement they have made - 'Spring 2011'

Man, I shouldn't even comment because of my fustration level right now.

You must be a real Ford nutswinger to so adamantly defend Ford in this situation. I have family that has worked for Ford for 30 years, and I have driven nothing but Fords, but I am not going to sit here accepting this as a normal situation.

First you said I was being "doom and gloom" when I said at least May. You thought March/April back then. WRONG.

Now you say "Spring 2011" end of May/early June. OK, now you are changing your story.

These cars are out NOW. People are driving them NOW for crying out loud. For whatever reason, or you don't want to admit, you don't care about waiting almost half a year for your car. Fine, but don't brush it off like it's not a problem for someone else.

Man, I shouldn't even comment because of my fustration level right now.

You must be a real Ford nutswinger to so adamantly defend Ford in this situation. I have family that has worked for Ford for 30 years, and I have driven nothing but Fords, but I am not going to sit here accepting this as a normal situation.

First you said I was being "doom and gloom" when I said at least May. You thought March/April back then. WRONG.

Now you say "Spring 2011" end of May/early June. OK, now you are changing your story.

These cars are out NOW. People are driving them NOW for crying out loud. For whatever reason, or you don't want to admit, you don't care about waiting almost half a year for your car. Fine, but don't brush it off like it's not a problem for someone else.

True, this is taking longer then I thought, but what is here on the message boards has nothing to do with what Ford has said.

Yes, there are Focuses that you can go buy, and there are Retail orders that people have received, but if you want MFT, you'll have to wait - they just aren't in the retail channel yet. If you are so pissed about it, cancel you order and go buy a SE off a lot, or go buy another brand.

There is no need to defend Ford. The only thing they have said is Spring 2011. They have not broken that statement yet.

@svtenthusiast -Not to be a noodge here, but there is a reason that MFT cars are being held back..there is a hardware or software problem that is preventing Ford from shipping these cars. Having spent 20+years with Ford dealership service departments on the front line (Service Advisor, Dispatcher and Manager) you can bet after some of the troubled launches (MkI Focus and 2002 T-bird come to mind) I have been witness to, Ford is going to be damn sure that MFT equipped Focii will be as perfect as humanly possible. I know that will not soothe your dissatisfaction regarding the situation but it is what it is as far as I can tell.

Edited by Tiberius1701

Lots of conjecture here. Who from Ford said there were software or hardware problems?

Perhaps it is simply a matter of building up in order of least to most complex to help ensure quality.

What was the mix projection? Could also be a matter of building highest to lowest mixes to maintain stability in line balancing and proveout.

Who knows? I don't. Not sure why others feel that they do.

You all bring good points to light. Yes, it is taking longer than we all thought it would, and Yes, Ford has not commented, and their are only rumors. Pre-production cars have been around for at least the past year, and production in North American started 3 months ago, so what exactly is going on? This being my first new car, and first pre-order, I thought that I would have my car before most people knew that the car existed. I hope that Ford can manage to get any bugs worked out and get the car on the road before it is too late. An example of being too late was with the Fiesta. The Fiesta should have been on the road in June or July last year, but it was only available in September. Ford missing the entire summer selling season because of this! Being in Canada, I really do not have much choice to be patient, but if I was in the US, I might go test drive the C30 or Mini.....much less expensive in the US!!! I believe in Ford and this car and hence I am still here!!!

Lots of conjecture here. Who from Ford said there were software or hardware problems?

Perhaps it is simply a matter of building up in order of least to most complex to help ensure quality.

According to insiders it was some type of quality hold but no other details. The 'build up" in complexity happens before the OKTB - not after. This is just one of many frustrating delays happening recently.

Some people are just impatient because they can't have their new toy and they're taking it out on Ford. Understandable. But they can't afford to ship bad vehicles after the Edge debacle and they can't afford to come out and say exactly what the problem is. This is precisely why Ford doesn't give out official estimated ship dates.

First of all the company still follows the HF II mantra "never complain, never explain"

Second according to my dealer they are still having sporadic problems with MFT in the Edge.

Lastly I cant believe that there is a computer software issue that cant be solved quickly with the state of the programs on the market, or did they buy the program from the same supplier that does Toyota? (HAHA)