tdi's

ok were are they at?? and when are they goin to bring them here??????????????????????????

They have it here already, they call it GTDI though: Gasoline Turbo Direct Injection, aka Ecoboost aka Egoboost aka TwinForce :)

As for when we'll (US) ever see TDI, the answer is when all the Ford Exec's that have pushed for TwinFor...er, Ecoboost, leave the company. Meaning, Never.

We're stuck with Egob...darn, did it again sorry, Ecoboost. :hysterical:

Chuck

They have it here already, they call it GTDI though: Gasoline Turbo Direct Injection, aka Ecoboost aka Egoboost aka TwinForce :)

As for when we'll (US) ever see TDI, the answer is when all the Ford Exec's that have pushed for TwinFor...er, Ecoboost, leave the company. Meaning, Never.

We're stuck with Egob...darn, did it again sorry, Ecoboost. :hysterical:

Chuck

well i will have to buy a 60 mile to the gallon tdi rabit then

sorry ford, you better get with it

well i will have to buy a 60 mile to the gallon tdi rabit then

sorry ford, you better get with it

VW doesnt make one, so go for their 42 mpg model instead...but put some $$$$ aside for some outrageous maintenence bills after the freebies are used up and get to know the service dept really well......

VW doesnt make one, so go for their 42 mpg model instead...but put some $ aside for some outrageous maintenence bills after the freebies are used up and get to know the service dept really well......

Ford Europe have a wide array of diesels, if the business case made sense they would be here.

Ford is not prepared to put diesels on the market and disappoint buyers with sticker shock while

Ecoboost offers a better, more affordable result that more easily accepted by the American public.

No, let VW be diesel trailblazers while Ford uses more appropriate strategies..

Edited by jpd80

Ford Europe have a wide array of diesels, if the business case made sense they would be here.

Ford is not prepared to put diesels on the market and disappoint buyers with sticker shock while

Ecoboost offers a better, more affordable result that more easily accepted by the American public.

No, let VW be diesel trailblazers while Ford uses more appropriate strategies..

couldnt have put it better J, and let them deal with the ever moving emissions target....which is a WHOLE lot harder on diesels, AND more costly....

couldnt have put it better J, and let them deal with the ever moving emissions target....which is a WHOLE lot harder on diesels, AND more costly....

We are only seeing first generation Ecoboost and are already impressed by the results,

As Ford starts increasing the power outputs, the engines can become much smaller

which in turn enables vehicles to become lighter and more efficient.

Today's 2.0 diesel puts out around 180 hp/300 lb ft, I'm sure that Gen II Ecoboost will

nearly match the diesel's torque and completely eclipse the modest power output.

We are only seeing first generation Ecoboost and are already impressed by the results,

As Ford starts increasing the power outputs, the engines can become much smaller

which in turn enables vehicles to become lighter and more efficient.

Today's 2.0 diesel puts out around 180 hp/300 lb ft, I'm sure that Gen II Ecoboost will

nearly match the diesel's torque and completely eclipse the modest power output.

ok / i will wait for the ego to come out in the focus . 4 cyl are comin out when??????????????

ok / i will wait for the ego to come out in the focus . 4 cyl are comin out when??????????????

Ford have decided to go the 2.0 DI route with Focus instead of Ecoboost, and achieved 40 mpg highway

Cruze needs 1.4 DI Turbo and manual trans to beat that figure so more likely that Ford will use EB as the

performance motor for Focus ST because fuel prices aren't high enough to justify EB as economy engine.

We were hoping to see 1.4 or 1.6 EB but looks Ford doesn't need them yet, the 2.0 DI gets the job done.

Changing gears a bit, I hear that Europe's emissions requirements are going to become even more stringent than before. How close will they be to US regulations once that happens?

With diesel limits, Euro 6 NOX levels will still be twice the allowable limit for the current US Tier 2 Bin 5,

the other point is that by 2016 the US may have further tightened diesel NOX regulations.

DI Turbo Gas engines meet the regulations now are available and at lower cost than diesels,

Europe may well switch to this if diesel emission compliance costs become to expensive.

Edited by jpd80

Simply put, Gasoline is the fuel to use for personal automobiles in NA. Ford's strategy with EcoBoost will pay off in the end until the next cycle of automobile development begins. IMO, VW has TDI's and that is a linchpin in their strategy. Ford would really have to develop a new line of Diesel or revamp the current lines to meet FUTURE regulations. GM with a possible Diesel in the Cruze is interesting because it seems to me they just took all the money they got from the bailout and blew it on creating the next "Big thing". So I'm not buying that.

Focus with 38 City in normal setup is just fine. The 2012 Elantra is claiming 39 mpg (49 advertised in Canada but ENERGUIDE rating is frankly not realistic IMO). I don't feel Ford right now, is going to Diesel unless it's combined in a hybrid or Diesel Technology makes a big leap in FE. Just my 2 cents.

IMO, VW has TDI's and that is a linchpin in their strategy. Ford would really have to develop a new line of Diesel or revamp the current lines to meet FUTURE regulations.

Just like VW is going to have to do to keep their diesel compliant with the regs. The "linchpin of their strategy" depends on being able to meet those regs without suffering loss of economy and/or drivability.

As you know, Ford, with its partner Citroen-Peugeot, know as much or more than VW about designing and building diesels. But VW's brainwashing of Americans seems to make 'em unaware of this. :)

I agree with you regarding VW. The brain-washing is well-put however, Ford is not going to let our mouth's water over food we ain't gonna get. I remember the C-P partnership and the lineup is very modern and relevant in that particular market. The engines in the Land Rover lineup makes sense because it seems factored in the price. Will we see them here? I would like to see at least the 4.4L in a F-150 (The 3.6 is nice too but I don't know about the 2.5 and 3.0L's) but at a higher price when you have a very relevant 5.0 and a EB 35? I can't see Ford justify it at least for now. Ford still has to make money and pay down debt.

I don't know enough about the Sky Engine line for Mazda but I'll ASSUME it's got roots from the Global I4 program still shared with Ford and Mazda. I'll also ASSUME and wouldn't be surprised if Ford and Mazda still share in these programs.

Of course, both companies won't admit it to the general public: "OMG, a POS FORD engine in a Mazda." or "OMG, the Ford's only good 'cause it's got a Mazda engine in it."...some people..:)

Even Jeremy Clarkson had to concede the impressiveness of a diesel after finding nearly a 1000 mile range in his Jaguar XJ turbocharged diesel that he drove in the high efficiency challenge on Top Gear some moons ago. I, for one, can't deny the value of diesel. They might be more expensive up front, but eventually they pay for themselves ...

Edited by SVT_MAN

Even Jeremy Clarkson had to concede the impressiveness of a diesel after finding nearly a 1000 mile range in his Jaguar XJ turbocharged diesel that he drove in the high efficiency challenge on Top Gear some moons ago. I, for one, can't deny the value of diesel. They might be more expensive up front, but eventually they pay for themselves ...

Probably not when diesel is 90 cents more than gas.