2012 Ford Focus is certified by the EPA at 40 mpg a six-speed automatic transmission

Also, the 100hp SPI motors were pieces of shit, and slow. There IS a need for more HP, so you can avoid getting hit!

I have 167,000 trouble free miles on my 110hp "piece of shit" SPI, thanks. Never been hit, and I get between 33 and 35mpg while averaging 75 to 80mph during my commutes.

I have 167,000 trouble free miles on my 110hp "piece of shit" SPI, thanks. Never been hit, and I get between 33 and 35mpg while averaging 75 to 80mph during my commutes.

SPI's were very reliable. Just change the timing belt every 100k and it'll run forever.

I saw a few that dropped the intake valve seat but I would still prefer that engine over the zetec.

You get them in the door with 42 mpg's and they leave with an SEL. :shades:

Im not so sure....I think the magic number is 40......the next magic number will be 45.....face it, they are all competitive, but my bet is the focus is the best car, and that will negate any trivial number advantage....although i will say this...how much better will the 1.6 eco be?.....if 5 mpgs better, game over Cruze AND Hyundai...

Edited by Deanh

nope, disc brakes avail on SE sport model as welland all SEL models, shutters are on ALL models in California, although apparently not in "colder" states...figure that one out. So that leaves the wheel covers and 16 inch lower rolling resistance tires as the only real difference....the badge is a placebo.

So if the wheel covers and tires are the only real difference then what are we looking at

in terms of fuel economy on regular powershift models, maybe just under 40 mpg?

And that city figure of 28 mpg, how good is that and even without the econo tires,

most people should be delighted.

Deanh, just curious about equipment levels - how does the Titanium stack up against Buick's Regal?

Edited by jpd80

Wow, I'm glad they got the mpg that high (even if it's a special model). Even if the others are 37-38 that's still awesome. Now begs the question....what the hell happened to the Fiesta. Those (2012 Foci's) are the same mpg numbers as the Fiesta. I would surely think a smaller, lighter car could achieve higher numers than it's bigger brother :confused:

The highway MPG is more affected by gearing and aerodynamics. Weight and engine size plays more important role in city MPG.

Ford can probably make the Fiesta SFE deliver more than 40 MPG but adding active shutters and a few more trick under body aero pieces may drive the cost of the car up so high that they won't sell any. There is a very steep diminishing return on investment curve once you get past 80~90% above the mean.

And in the real world, a good driver with manual transmission Fiesta can probably beat Fiesta SFE on a regular basis.

So if the wheel covers and tires are the only real difference then what are we looking at

And that city figure of 28 mpg, how good is that and even without the econo tires,

Deanh, just curious about equipment levels - how does the Titanium stack up against Buick's Regal Verano?

Regal is quite a bit bigger car than the Focus.

Deanh, just curious about equipment levels - how does the Titanium stack up against Buick's Regal?

I dont rightfully know, but wouldnt the Regal compare more to the Fusion?...the Titaniums can be CRAMMED with options, selff park, rear camers, MyKey...list is long....not sure im sold on all the "fluff" as such, but its theres for those that deem it necessary...

The highway MPG is more affected by gearing and aerodynamics. Weight and engine size plays more important role in city MPG.

Ford can probably make the Fiesta SFE deliver more than 40 MPG but adding active shutters and a few more trick under body aero pieces may drive the cost of the car up so high that they won't sell any. There is a very steep diminishing return on investment curve once you get past 80~90% above the mean.

And in the real world, a good driver with manual transmission Fiesta can probably beat Fiesta SFE on a regular basis.

mines a 5 speed, and no matter what type of driving Ii do, it never gets below 36 .5.....last jaunt to LAX 75-80 42.5.....so, makes me wonder if I set the cruise at 65-70...

I dont rightfully know, but wouldnt the Regal compare more to the Fusion?...the Titaniums can be CRAMMED with options, selff park, rear camers, MyKey...list is long....not sure im sold on all the "fluff" as such, but its theres for those that deem it necessary...

IFO am very happy to be able to get the tech and creature comforts available on the Titanium along with the utility of a hatch and nearly 40 MPG for literally almost half the price of my 2003 Lincoln LS V8 Premium Sport. Feels like a bargain to me.

I asked about Regal but the question was more Titanium versus Buick trim level,

thanks for the response all the same...

In the city, a manual driver can hypermile upshift to a greater degree than any car company would program an automatic for.

However, the Fiesta's automatic has a higher top gear than the manual, so pure highway cruising gives better fuel economy with the automatic. Consumer Reports got 45mph highway with a Fiesta automatic but "only" 42mpg highway with a Fiesta manual -- their highway test is just a 65mph cruise.

Ford's options for Focus fiesta power-packs

do not exist yet.

1.2l I3 ecoboost 120-130hp

1.4l TI-VCT 105hp

1.4lTi-VCT GDi 110hp

1.6l Ti-VCT GDi 130hp

1.8L GDI 145hp

existing engines

1.4L PFI 95hp no fuel economy advantage of 1.6 Ti-VCT

1.6L ECO boost.150-180hp

1.6 l Ti-VCT 120hp

the easiest solution is to change the Final-drive ratios in the transmission

the Cruze Eco has three overdrive gears, in it's 6spd transmission. This works extremely well with the Turbo's low end torque.

Edited by Biker16